Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2012, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,430 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Milwaukee to go to UWM in January, so I'm looking at apartments in East Side and Shorewood. I am moving from a larger west coast city where, unless it's marked otherwise, you can park any time of day on any street for however long you want (there may be a 72 hour limit, but I have gone on vacation without my car). I have been relying on street parking for over a year and have not paid a dime in fees or parking tickets or ever had to worry about not getting a spot or moving my car. I understand MKE is different.

I will have class a couple days a week I will be walking to school. I'm keeping my car for errands and weekends. So, I need a place where I can just leave my car 24 hours, for days at a time. Obviously my first choice is just to pick an apartment with its own lot or parking structure, and that's what I'll try to do. I'm a bit confused by all the other options -- it seems like I could get a cheap night parking permit for the street or a lot, but have to move my car somewhere all day. Or there may be 24 hour street parking permits for something like $15/month, but does this mean I have to move my car every 24 hours? If your street doesn't have any meters or one hour parking restrictions, do you still need a permit to park on it? From what I read here, it also seems like if you are parked on the street in these neighborhoods, you are likely to receive parking tickets whether parked legally or not.

And finally, do I understand correctly that no matter what your parking permissions some days you will have to move your car off the street for the snowplows? Are these planned and posted times or is it just after a snow? (I am aware that I probably sound ridiculous here. I've never been in more than an inch of snow in my life and that was in a city where they just shut down the roads until it melts.) Also on the subject of weather, does the snow do anything harmful to your car, or are the underground heated lots more for your comfort in getting to the car?

Basically, I am trying to determine whether I'm correct that every parking option besides your own designated space in your building's lot comes with a ton of inconvenience or unreliability for someone who does not drive their car elsewhere during working hours. Should I even be looking at apartments that don't have parking available or would it not be worth the parking headaches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 03:23 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,470,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sngillis View Post
Should I even be looking at apartments that don't have parking available or would it not be worth the parking headaches?
Your best option might be apartment buildings with underground heated parking garages. Next best are apartment buildings with assigned outdoor parking spaces.

Absent of either you're going to have a headache during the winter trying to find a parking space and having to move your car for plows.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:16 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,207,522 times
Oh, there are several month periods where you cant park, even if there isnt snow "winter parking restrictions" so I wouldnt want to deal with that. Yes, for street parking permits, you DO have to move your car every 24 hours-parking is on one side of street at night by permit and it rotates nightly.
I went to UWM and winter parking was a mess.
Yes, the snow-actually all of the salt, is damaging to a car. I second the underground parking if you can find it available.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:01 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
They nickel and dime you death around here over the little things. Parking is just the beginning.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:01 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Recommend indoor parking if available, outdoor after that, on street last of all. You'll pay $60 or $70 a month, but compared to the number of parking tickets you can load up in a month, you may be saving money. Plus there's the convenience.

Shorewood has the goofy night parking thing where you can park in a lot overnight, but have to move out during the day. Milwaukee's parking regulations are enough to make your head spin.

This ought to keep you reading for a while. Note the commuter impacted parking permits for on street parking.

Parking Services & Info

Old 12-10-2012, 08:41 PM

156 posts, read 351,087 times
As someone who has lived through it, yes street parking during the winter on the East side can be a huge hassle. Considering you are coming from the West coast and I presume are not used to snow, my advice would be to seek out places with indoor parking available.

If you do consider street parking, it is far easier in the less dense parts of the East side where there are few apartment buildings - say you are living in an area of mostly single-family homes and duplexes.

If you live in Shorewood you have to get off-street parking because overnight parking on the street is prohibited. There is the option of municipal lots but as mentioned you can't keep your car there during the day (because, at least the one I am familiar with, it is a school parking lot).

Old 12-10-2012, 11:53 PM

78 posts, read 229,278 times
City of Milwaukee parking regulations vary from block to block, and not all regulations are posted on-street (such as alternate side night parking.)

A more drastic option would be to look at apartments in the Bay View neighborhood, where street parking is generally easier and restrictions less onerous. You could then commute to school using your UPASS (free tbus pass included with student fees) or by parking in one of the satellite lots and taking the shuttle bus.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:00 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,445,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sngillis View Post
So, I need a place where I can just leave my car 24 hours, for days at a time.
You'll need off-street parking if you want to live on the east side or Shorewood and not have to move your car every 2-3 hours.

Most of shorewood is 2-hour parking 8AM - 6PM and you have to pay $3/night to park on the street and must pay that day, you cannot pay in advance. Parking is a huge hassle, only look for places that offer parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee