Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 01:58 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,105,227 times

Advertisements

No, Milwaukee is a White, Black and Hispanic city just like every other major US city. Milwaukee's demo's will change only slightly in the future pretty much what you see now is what it will be in 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 07:11 PM

American FactFinder - Results *

Milwaukee City: 597,884
White: 47.6%
Black: 39.1%
Hispanic: 17.5%
Asian: 3.4%

These are percentages for just "single race" category, the numbers get a lot more fuzzy when you start looking at "Race alone or in combination with one or more other races" or "Two races including Some other race" or "Two races excluding Some other race, and Three or more races" or "Not Hispanic or Latino".

Great place for looking up stats: http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/...es/index.xhtml

Last edited by Milwaukee City; 12-15-2012 at 07:27 PM..

Old 12-15-2012, 07:31 PM

207 posts, read 702,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
American FactFinder - Results *

Milwaukee City: 597,884
White: 47.6%
Black: 39.1%
Hispanic: 17.5%
Asian: 3.4%
I thought white alone was like 37%

Old 12-15-2012, 09:23 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
It's interesting how in all these cities, white-flight is going on and the whites leave. LA, Miami, Houston, NYC ect. Yet no-one really knows where the mysterious whites relocate to.

Must be secret.
I heard that whites are moving back into Manhattan NY.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I heard that whites are moving back into Manhattan NY.
Anecdotal and hearsay evidence is not admissible, just look up the numbers before you make a claim.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:13 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,928,600 times
I haven't experienced the kind of transition here as in other places. Imagine going into a Walmart where your chekout girl can't speak english? I've found that in other cities. Wisconsites will be hit with some hard realities if we continue to provide welcome baskets of Badger Care, Food Stamps and every other benefit for immigrants and their dependants.

Last edited by amerifree; 12-16-2012 at 08:42 AM..

Old 12-16-2012, 04:49 PM

174 posts, read 596,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
I haven't experienced the kind of transition here as in other places. Imagine going into a Walmart where your chekout girl can't speak english? I've found that in other cities. Wisconsites will be hit with some hard realities if we continue to provide welcome baskets of Badger Care, Food Stamps and every other benefit for immigrants and their dependants.
This is very true now in many parts of Chicago today. Its not unusual to go to some stores and the employees there don't speak english. I was at a Carson Pirie Scott store last year in northwest suburban Norridge and I went to one of the clerks there to ask where a particular item was and she couldn't help me beacuse she didn't know how to speak english. She had to get another clerk to help me out. Illinois has become, Chicago more so, a big magnet for many illegal aliens from Mexico. There are some parts of Chicago now that are starting to look like another country. MIlwaukee still has a long way to go before that starts to happen here. But if the trend continues and nothing is done to curb the influx of illegal aliens, you will then see the demographics start to change in some areas of Milwaukee in a decade or so down the road.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:16 PM

207 posts, read 702,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE-Ed View Post
This is very true now in many parts of Chicago today. Its not unusual to go to some stores and the employees there don't speak english. I was at a Carson Pirie Scott store last year in northwest suburban Norridge and I went to one of the clerks there to ask where a particular item was and she couldn't help me beacuse she didn't know how to speak english. She had to get another clerk to help me out. Illinois has become, Chicago more so, a big magnet for many illegal aliens from Mexico. There are some parts of Chicago now that are starting to look like another country. MIlwaukee still has a long way to go before that starts to happen here. But if the trend continues and nothing is done to curb the influx of illegal aliens, you will then see the demographics start to change in some areas of Milwaukee in a decade or so down the road.
When did Hispanics (Legal & Illegal) start coming to Chicago? I know in recent years Aurora's become a hub for Latino immigrants, surprassing Chicago. I also know that it was within the last 15-20 years that Stone Park was the first Illinois community to become Hispanic Majority. and it weas only in the 2000 census that Cicero became a Latino majority. So something tells me they began arriving in recent years (50 years at the farthest)

Old 12-16-2012, 07:23 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,003,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Anecdotal and hearsay evidence is not admissible, just look up the numbers before you make a claim.
For what it is worth MC.

According to the US census for Manhattan New York

2000 2011
White 46% 51%
Hispanic 27% 24%
Black 16% 14%
Asian 10% 11%

Just letting you know. The white population also increased in Brooklyn during the last decade

The percent of population which reports they are white in Manhattan in 2010 was 65.4% up from 54.4% from 2000.

Hispanic is not a race. It is a person of origin from a spanish speaking country. A person from Spain is hispanic, yet white. A hispanic can also be black.
The census bureau breaks the census down by hispanic origin, but doesn't include it as a race. This is why Manhattan can be 51% white origin and 65.4% white race.

Also, the percent of residents in Brooklyn who claim their race White grew from 42.5% to 49.5% from 2000 to 2010.

It is clear that the white population grew in both Manhattan and Brooklyn. These facts are easy to verify. Go to quick facts US Census and look them up if you

question them.

The crazy thing is the white population will continue to grow larger and larger in the United States due to white hispanics and the inter marriage with non hispanic whites. My guess is that in 50 years hispanics will not be a category in the census. They, for the most part, will be viewed as whites. No different than what happened with Italians and Jews 100 years ago.

Also, I believe we will see the shrinking of the black populations of Boston, New York, Washington, and a few other large very expensive cities. This will happen to a lesser extent in Chicago. The black populations of San Francisco & Los Angeles is less than 10%. These above mentioned cities will follow the same path.

Last edited by Allan Trafton; 12-16-2012 at 08:06 PM..

Old 12-16-2012, 11:29 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,320 times
I've been in stores/restaurants on the South side of Milwaukee were one or more employees either did not speak English at all or had trouble speaking English.

I actually get my hair cut on the South side (cheaper than the North side for hair cuts) at a shop owned by several Mexican women. Only one woman in the shop knows how to cut "black" (I'm mulatto) peoples hair. I originally intended to stop in at a Puerto Rican barber shop I had visited once before, but they were closed. So, I gave this Mexican shop a try.

The woman has gotten very good at cutting my hair. She speaks English and largely taught herself how to. None of the other women working there speak English. One speaks a few words of English and is taking classes to speak English. They all are hard working women. They appear to me to be very family oriented people too.

When European immigrants first moved to the U.S. they did not speak much English either. Actually, for most my life I thought my German-American grandfather was born and raised in Germany because his German accent was so thick. He was born and raised in The United States and grew up on a Wisconsin farm. I was latter told that in the household he grew up in German was always spoken in the house.

Regardless of various immigrants living in the U.S., I'm told by a former banking and finance teacher at UWM, a young man that is East Indian and from India, that the U.S. is a lot more culturally homogenous than India is (though much less racially homogenous than India).

So, I have a difficult time believing certain areas of Chicago seem like a different country. For one, I doubt that architecturally. I'm presuming that impression comes primarily linguistically. I doubt it comes through fashion since Latin Americans (Amerindians aside) dress like Americans (Latin Americans are Americans technically - just like the French and British are all Europeans) and not like people in Saudi Arabia. Some of it I'm sure comes from some cultural traits Mexicans other Latin Americans have brought with them. But hey! the Italians and Sicilians brought the mafia and pizza.

Actually, the Mexicans on the South side of Milwaukee have more in common in fashion, with people from Texas than they do with people from Wisconsin. You want cowboy hats and boots go to the near South side where the Mexicans live. George W. Bush might have worn a cowboy hat but I never have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee