U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 08:14 AM

458 posts, read 963,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy1685 View Post
I really don't get the whole boring drive thing. Any drive for that distance that you do 2x a day 5x a week is boring unless your driving up PCH in california.
IDK to me driving is a bit more tolerable when you're actively driving, not just setting cruise control and zoning out for 45 minutes. Time seems to go faster when you've got to pay attention and actually drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 09:58 AM

5,481 posts, read 10,073,365 times
Why put yourself into the position of having to do that commute? There are many nice areas in Lake Co. IL within a much quicker commute time. Libertyville comes to mind and there are others. Lake Co is part of the Chciago metro area but definitely does not feel like closer in suburbs or Chicago itself.

What kind of environment are you looking for for you and the kids?

And I do like WI a lot. I just think it is unwise to voluntarily live so far from work!

Old 01-26-2013, 01:08 PM

7,289 posts, read 12,901,081 times
I have lived in Lake Forest, and Shorewood. You're not going to find much that compares, besides the other lake shore suburbs of Chicago (starting at Lake Bluff). Lake Forest would be my first choice at your budget--or even below. I have to say that your questions are kind of strange because it doesn't look like you are doing your homework on real estate prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water 4 the Pool View Post
Our price range is probably $700k to $900k.
I don't understand why, at that budget, you would be considering moving to Shorewood, where you could possibly buy a slightly bigger house, on a smaller piece of land, for the same price, then commute 2.5 hrs a day. It does not make any sense at all.

Lake Forest is known for mansions, but most of the homes aren't mansions. I know the city of LF inside and out. If you want to live near town in LF, so you can walk to town, walk to the beach, etc., you can. I just looked at a house on Westminster, beautiful street, $800k, 5br/3.5ba. Walking distance to train station. Walking distance to town. Walking distance to beach. Twenty minutes to Gurnee by car. That is just one of numerous examples.

If you think that commuting an extra 2 hours a day, and spending all of the money on gas, depreciation, wear and tear, etc., is going to somehow improve your life, just because you moved to Shorewood, you need to re-examine your priorities. If you love Shorewood so much, drive there on the weekends. With no traffic, it only takes a little more than an hour.

Quote:
My wife is a tv reporter ...
I'd think this would point to the Chicago area, especially coming from the NYC market.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:29 PM

2,007 posts, read 4,227,773 times
I would get over the fear of comparisons (NYC - Chicago), and also look at towns near the IL/WI border such as Antioch (IL) & Wadsworth (IL). Perhaps even some of the more upscale properties in Pleasant Prairie (WI) and towns due west such as Salem (WI). The commute to Gurnee will be much easier, and you will still be halfway between O'Hare Airport & Generall Mitchell Airport (Milwaukee). The feel is a lot more rustic & less of the keeping up with the joneses like in the North Shore suburbs (ie. Lake Forest). Nevertheless, there are some beautiful estates in these areas as well.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:45 AM

5,481 posts, read 10,073,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
I would get over the fear of comparisons (NYC - Chicago), and also look at towns near the IL/WI border such as Antioch (IL) & Wadsworth (IL). Perhaps even some of the more upscale properties in Pleasant Prairie (WI) and towns due west such as Salem (WI). The commute to Gurnee will be much easier, and you will still be halfway between O'Hare Airport & Generall Mitchell Airport (Milwaukee). The feel is a lot more rustic & less of the keeping up with the joneses like in the North Shore suburbs (ie. Lake Forest). Nevertheless, there are some beautiful estates in these areas as well.
yes but....schools in Antioch, Wadsworth, Salem and Pleasant Prairie; how do they compare with schools in LIbertyville, Lake Forest or even Lincolnshire or Bannockburn?

Old 02-02-2013, 06:11 AM

97 posts, read 145,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I have lived in Lake Forest, and Shorewood. You're not going to find much that compares, besides the other lake shore suburbs of Chicago (starting at Lake Bluff). Lake Forest would be my first choice at your budget--or even below. I have to say that your questions are kind of strange because it doesn't look like you are doing your homework on real estate prices.

I don't understand why, at that budget, you would be considering moving to Shorewood, where you could possibly buy a slightly bigger house, on a smaller piece of land, for the same price, then commute 2.5 hrs a day. It does not make any sense at all.

Lake Forest is known for mansions, but most of the homes aren't mansions. I know the city of LF inside and out. If you want to live near town in LF, so you can walk to town, walk to the beach, etc., you can. I just looked at a house on Westminster, beautiful street, $800k, 5br/3.5ba. Walking distance to train station. Walking distance to town. Walking distance to beach. Twenty minutes to Gurnee by car. That is just one of numerous examples.

If you think that commuting an extra 2 hours a day, and spending all of the money on gas, depreciation, wear and tear, etc., is going to somehow improve your life, just because you moved to Shorewood, you need to re-examine your priorities. If you love Shorewood so much, drive there on the weekends. With no traffic, it only takes a little more than an hour.

I'd think this would point to the Chicago area, especially coming from the NYC market.
I hear you about my Shorewood focus seeming unnecessary or nonsensical. It's the wife (originally from WI) who has an inherent bias against Chicago and its suburbs. We both really like MKE, and the Shorewood schools and neighborhoods. I'm trying to get my family back to the Midwest and there just aren't a lot of job opportunities in the MKE market for me.

As you probably surmised, I'm making my best efforts to find a work solution so we could live in Shorewood. But it's really not panning out thus far. The Gurnee job interview went really well, but I could tell they were not sure why I would want to work there, at a small company far removed from the more urban lifestyles of Chicago or Milwaukee or even New York.

I have a couple of excellent opportunities in Chicago (in the city) that would allow me to commute via train and only need one car. That is an appealing scenario for me, and then a place like Lake Forest would seem like the right spot for us.

I may be checking back in with you since you've lived in both places.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:03 AM

1,816 posts, read 5,082,947 times
Out of curiosity, where in WI is your wife from? And where in Midwest are you from?

And, you mentioned Manhattan, do you live rhere now or somewhere else in metro NYC?

Has your wife ever spent time in Chicago, and/or Chicagoland? What has caused the dislike? Or, is there no dislike, and is it just loves Milwaukee/Shorewood?

If you took a city of Chicago job, my suggestions/recs would expand/change for living.

For the Gurnee job, if Chicago living, based on what you want, Lake Forest, Highland Park, Evanston if you can handle the distance and traffic. But really, based on your posts, you seem to want to stay East of 294, as close to the lake as possible, with a Shorewood type of feel to it. Obviously costs will be higher in Chicago and its burbs. And you won't perfectly match Shorewood.

I've lived in Milwaukee, Chicago, Manhattan, and I've spent a lot of time in the metro area of all three.

Obviously it would help to understand more your wife's bias and why it exists and if it can e overcome. As for driving from Shorewood to Gurnee? Doable, easier for a younger person, easier 1-2 times per week. Traffic won't be a problem much of time. Weather and construction delays would be the biggest. It would be a flat, moving drive, not the stop and go after you reach Six Flags into Chicagoland. 45 minutes is the best you'd do, and you'd be looking at more like an hour each way. Many people do much worse every day in Chicago alone from city to burbs or vice versa, or from burb to burb.

If it were me, and it isn't, I'd take the best job fit for you, (which based on your posts, sounds like the city of Chicago) and then rent the first year and see how it goes. I'd do this in Shorewood too or wherever.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:43 PM

7,680 posts, read 18,939,662 times
Quote:
I hear you about my Shorewood focus seeming unnecessary or nonsensical. It's the wife (originally from WI) who has an inherent bias against Chicago and its suburbs. We both really like MKE, and the Shorewood schools and neighborhoods. I'm trying to get my family back to the Midwest and there just aren't a lot of job opportunities in the MKE market for me.
Of all the sacrifices a man will make for his family driving from Gurnee to Shorewood is not one of the most difficult ones to make. I say go for it, if you found a suburb and a school district that offers everything you want except the drive for you then it's not that bad besides you never know when a job opportunity will present itself to you in Milwaukee or even in Shorewood or Whitefish Bay. It's going to take you 20-35min to drive anywhere to Milwaukee for your job anyways and so to use Jerry Seinfeld's line of thinking then you're only really driving an extra 10 minutes, really you're barely driving at all. It takes me 30min to work and sometimes like last Friday it took me 45 minutes to get home and I'm only going to Brookfield from downtown. I say go for it!

Old 02-03-2013, 01:13 AM

545 posts, read 1,082,610 times
I currently make the drive from Glendale to Waukegan, which is basically what you're looking at doing. It's not really a bad drive. The worst part of it is the traffic to downtown in the morning. Once you get past North Avenue it's smooth sailing down 94. It takes me just over an hour door to door. That being said, it's not something you can do long term. I've been doing it for three years and, believe me, that's more than enough. When it snows it's easily 2 hours to get home. It would be easier if you lived on the south side. By the time I get to Ryan Rd on my way back, I'm really ready to be home. The rest of the drive is rough even though there's not much traffic at night. Weeks get to be pretty long when you leave at 7am and get home at 6pm. The gas costs are a killer. For me it's 120 miles round trip, which works out to a little more than $20 a day at current prices (at 26mpg). When I started, gas prices were just over $2 a gallon, which was much easier to handle. When I see what we spend on gas per month it makes me sick. Plus, you really rack up the miles on your car quickly when you're putting on 25-30k miles per year just driving to work and back. The only reason I've done it for as long as I have is because we own a place that hasn't sold and that we can't rent because of association rules. We just decided to take what we can get for it and move on. We're moving down there this summer.

I know exactly where you're coming from though. There just isn't anything like Shorewood or Whitefish Bay between those two and Gurnee. If you can afford to buy in those communities and you're not opposed to living in IL, I would look at Libertyville. It's an established community with older houses, a nice walkable downtown, and great schools. Because it's more established, it's not going to go through the booms and busts that the newer communities like Gurnee go through. There are other options like Highland Park and Deerfield that have a similar feel to Shorewood and WFB, but they are more expensive. Both have top notch schools, but are busier because they are closer suburbs than Libertyville.

Hope this helps. I'd be glad to answer any questions you have. Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited by brian571; 02-03-2013 at 01:40 AM..

Old 02-03-2013, 02:21 PM

1,816 posts, read 5,082,947 times
I strongly advise renting first, whether it's in Shorewood, or a Northern Chicagoland burb, or something closer in if you didn't take the Gurnee job and instead took a city of Chicago job. From your posts, your wife seems sure what she wants, but you don't. If it were me, I'd figure out what I wanted, not just what my wife wanted, in a geographic place to live, and what I wanted in the job. Then I'd sit down with my wife and compare what each other wanted. I'd explore the Northern Chicagoland burbs and do due diligence in person there, as well as the city opportunities. Regardless of any decision, rent first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee