Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 07:31 PM

156 posts, read 351,276 times

Advertisements

My parents have always said when they first moved to Milwaukee in the mid '60's they found it amusing some of unique turn of phrases that older Milwaukeeans had at that time.

The only one I can recall is I thought they said people would say "going down by" rather than "going to" - so it would be "I'm going down by Schuster's."

Does anyone recall this or other distinctive phrases?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 08:18 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
We tend to say "Lookit" instead of look at it or look at this or listen hear. I agree with your "going down by". We say "you know?" but that might be more Wisconsin than Milwaukee. Bubbler is the most obvious one, another few are instead of calling tools by their actual name we will say "hand me that crescent wrench when crescent is a brand and not a type of wrench, we will do this for all adjustable wrenches or "hand me the "sawzall" when it isn't a sawzall brand but that is what is sold over here in Milwaukee. The same goes for "Channellocks".

Old 01-28-2013, 08:34 PM

Hey Milwaukee City - While I had in mind phrases from previous generations, that's an interesting point that there are probably current ones as well, I hadn't thought about that.

A current one I would add would be to use "seen" instead of "saw" - like "I seen that Bill was here the other day." Perhaps this is not unique to this area, but it seems like it is to me.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:40 PM

You also hear a lot of "yous" I know yous is more popular with people from Chicago but my dad says it all the time and a lot of his friends do that are in the 50's demo. "Yous" might be more popular in MKE say from I94 and south

Old 01-30-2013, 08:17 PM

280 posts, read 648,205 times
"Tyme Machine" was the first one that came to mind for me. For a long time, "Tyme" (Take Your Money Everywhere) was the main brand of ATMs in Southeast Wisco, so when people went to the ATM they'd say "I'm going to the Tyme Machine."

"Dookies" as in Nike Air Force 1's.

"On The G" as in "I Swear to God/goodness."

"Stop and Go Lights" for traffic lights.

And, of course, saying "Soda" instead of "Pop" (unlike most of the Midwest).

Old 01-30-2013, 08:56 PM

Oh here's one: Metro's! back in the day all port-a-pottys were from a company called metro so nearly everyone over 30 calls a port-a-potty a metro.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:37 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devitron5000 View Post
"Tyme Machine" was the first one that came to mind for me. For a long time, "Tyme" (Take Your Money Everywhere) was the main brand of ATMs in Southeast Wisco, so when people went to the ATM they'd say "I'm going to the Tyme Machine."

"Dookies" as in Nike Air Force 1's.

"On The G" as in "I Swear to God/goodness."

"Stop and Go Lights" for traffic lights.

And, of course, saying "Soda" instead of "Pop" (unlike most of the Midwest).
I used 1, 4, and 5, but I only still use #5.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:12 AM

Yeah it seems to me that the Tyme machine term is starting to fade from use.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:22 PM

74 posts, read 149,624 times
The word "aina." For some reason I associate it with the Luxemburgers in Port Washington, but don't know if that's correct.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:15 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Shinners View Post
My parents have always said when they first moved to Milwaukee in the mid '60's they found it amusing some of unique turn of phrases that older Milwaukeeans had at that time.

The only one I can recall is I thought they said people would say "going down by" rather than "going to" - so it would be "I'm going down by Schuster's."

Does anyone recall this or other distinctive phrases?

What about "driving by" aunt Mary's house instead of "driving to" aunt Mary's house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee