Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 02:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,884 times

Advertisements

Looks like Milwaukee's Downtown and Lakefront area is going to change significantly.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/lak...196948891.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 03:29 AM

108 posts, read 60,385 times
I saw this today on the news. Sounds like a great idea. Guess we will see what happens with it!

Old 03-12-2013, 08:09 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,661,125 times
Yeah I saw that too. It's sad that "new land open for development" really means: New vacant land in downtown Milwaukee!

Just look at the park east

Old 03-13-2013, 05:25 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Yeah nice idea but I'll believe it when I see it. Just wait until these projects have to jump hurdles of the MKE County board, historic commission, environmental lobby, union lobby, common council, the mayor and the county executive. Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:57 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,470,606 times
Will be good if it's all built.

I thought I heard on the TV news that is was projected to cost $50 million? If true... that surprises me. I would have thought this would cost a whole lot more, like a billion dollars.

So, I'm curious what 4 or 7 billion dollars spent along the lakefront could do?

What's even more weird to me is that a list by Forbes I read put Mark Zuckerberg at a net worth of $17 billion and the richest man in the world, the Mexican, I think his name is Carlos Slim, at over $60 something billion.

I'm just trying to wrap my mind around this. So, some people are, economically, miniature city-states onto themselves? If I had say... $17 billion dollars I could essentially spend $7 billion (still live fat rich off of a billion) developing downtown and the lakefront and all the building would possibly result in a "renaissance" of Milwaukee? Which means I wouldn't have to give to charity because so many jobs and other opportunities would be created, possibly resulting family sustaining wages, or even other people getting wealthy in some butterfly effect too?

I've taken a few basic economic courses, so, I do understand the circular flow of economies. But I always imagined it would take $90 billion or some enormous sum of money to really making Milwaukee boom in inspiration, work, and the belief held by the general public that "anythings possible!"

Old 03-13-2013, 09:29 PM

711 posts, read 1,688,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Yeah I saw that too. It's sad that "new land open for development" really means: New vacant land in downtown Milwaukee!

Just look at the park east
Yeah, who would want to live, work or head to a restaurant Downtown on the lake... Anyway, the County has botched the Park East. They should sell it to the city so they can actually get it developed and productive.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:14 PM

319 posts, read 664,771 times
50 million is probably on top of Hoan Bridge construction scheduled for 2014 and it would cost ~40 Million to move all the ramps. 10 million will go to community sensitive design and local street construction.

The entire Mitchell interchange was 270 Million and it's wayyyy bigger than this project.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:14 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,470,606 times
Thank you for the info, Merkin.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:27 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,193 times
Would definitely improve Milwaukee's skyline. I always found it surprising that a city this big doesn't have a real skyline. Let's see if everything is going to look like that in a few years.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:11 PM

180 posts, read 327,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
I thought I heard on the TV news that is was projected to cost $50 million? If true... that surprises me. I would have thought this would cost a whole lot more, like a billion dollars.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think those numbers are what they are worth not how much money they have on hand. So if they sold all their stock and other investments they would theoretically have that much money. They are filthy rich none the less.

Anywho, I hope this goes through!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
View detailed profiles of: