U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What is your favorite frozen custard stand in Milwaukee?
Kopps 10 31.25%
Kitts 3 9.38%
Leons 6 18.75%
Gilles 6 18.75%
Oscars 1 3.13%
Culvers 4 12.50%
Omega 0 0%
OTHER 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-31-2007, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Metro Milwaukee, WI
3,198 posts, read 11,481,817 times
Reputation: 2174

Advertisements

What is your favorite frozen custard stand in Milwaukee - and WHY? (Please expand upon your vote).

If you vote "Other", who did you vote for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-31-2007, 04:31 PM
 
Location: Metro Milwaukee, WI
3,198 posts, read 11,481,817 times
Reputation: 2174
I voted for Kitts on 70th and Capital. It is not as known about - by far - as its more famous big brother Leons on South 27th Street, but both have a similar look and Kitts was assisted in opening by Leons. I love Kitts.

Second would be Kopps, and third probably Leons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2007, 04:58 PM
 
395 posts, read 1,682,185 times
Reputation: 242
I know I'm going to open myself to a firestorm of ridicule, consternation, and even accusations of treason by saying this, but I'm going to go ahead and vote for Culver's as the best custard in Milwaukee.

I have eaten just about every custard purveyor in Milwaukee several times over. For me, the Culver's location on East Capitol Drive in Shorewood is consistently the best custard. It's always smooth, creamy, just the right consistency, and just plain delicious.

I have nothing against Kopp's, and I do appreciate their burgers from time to time. However, I submit that Kopp's burgers are too greasy and too salty to be consumed on a regular basis. Culver's burgers, on the other hand, are just right. They're the right size, right amount of salt, and, while not exactly lean "health food," they're not dripping with grease.

I love Leon's for the atmosphere. There's no place like Leon's on a hot summer night. But the custard leaves me unsatisfied. It's inconsistent. Sometimes it's too firm, other times it's too runny. It's rarely just right.

I also appreciate the great variety of Culver's frozen treats. Their list of toppings is like two dozen long. And, for those who can't eat dairy products, they actually offer frozen treats without custard in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2007, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Bay View, Milwaukee
2,335 posts, read 4,330,885 times
Reputation: 3072
The best custard is Leon's; it's a fact bolstered by centuries of scientific and empirical evidence! (hehe!)

Well, I haven't been to Kitt's, so I guess I should say "Leon's--so far."

I find Kopp's custard to be too firm, but I do like the diversity of flavors, including Pomegranate.

I like Culver's vanilla just fine, but it's not my first choice--it's not as rich as Leon's. What I absolutely don't like about Culver's is that most of the Flavors of the Day tend to have cloying flavors and over-the-top ingredients, like candy bar bits--stuff that I don't like. If I want a Snickers or a Pay Day bar, I'll go to the grocery store, thank you. If I want flavors besides vanilla, I head for Kopp's, because they often feature fruit and other interesting flavors. (I do like the good ol' Butter Pecan at Culver's and Leon's, though!)

Okay (*wipes sweat off brow*)... I'm done for now....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Metro Milwaukee, WI
3,198 posts, read 11,481,817 times
Reputation: 2174
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
The best custard is Leon's; it's a fact bolstered by centuries of scientific and empirical evidence! (hehe!)

Well, I haven't been to Kitt's, so I guess I should say "Leon's--so far."

I find Kopp's custard to be too firm, but I do like the diversity of flavors, including Pomegranate.

I like Culver's vanilla just fine, but it's not my first choice--it's not as rich as Leon's. What I absolutely don't like about Culver's is that most of the Flavors of the Day tend to have cloying flavors and over-the-top ingredients, like candy bar bits--stuff that I don't like. If I want a Snickers or a Pay Day bar, I'll go to the grocery store, thank you. If I want flavors besides vanilla, I head for Kopp's, because they often feature fruit and other interesting flavors. (I do like the good ol' Butter Pecan at Culver's and Leon's, though!)

Okay (*wipes sweat off brow*)... I'm done for now....
Good analysis, quijote.

A few things I have...

1) The primary reason where I cannot cite Leon's as my #1 stand is because unlike most of the other stands, their grill menu is very limited. They don't have things like burgers - and burgers, next to the custard itself - are usually the huge staple of dining at custard stands. Other than that though, Leon's is just great.

2) I strongly encourage you to try Kitt's! I believe you said you are at UWM? If so, just shoot up Capital Drive one day to 70th St. and let us know how you liked it! Kitt's is so incredibly under-hyped compared to Leon's I believe largely due to its north side location, however, they were built in a similar timeframe, have a similar look (with the neon, etc.), and I believe the owner of Leon's actually helped the original owner of Kitt's get Kitt's going...plus Kitt's has a full grill menu with tremendous burgers!

(I am biased...I worked at Kitt's for five years or so many moons ago when I was a wee lad...but if you like Leon's, I think you'd really like Kitt's too)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Metro Milwaukee, WI
3,198 posts, read 11,481,817 times
Reputation: 2174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee Ronnie View Post
I know I'm going to open myself to a firestorm of ridicule, consternation, and even accusations of treason by saying this, but I'm going to go ahead and vote for Culver's as the best custard in Milwaukee.

I have eaten just about every custard purveyor in Milwaukee several times over. For me, the Culver's location on East Capitol Drive in Shorewood is consistently the best custard. It's always smooth, creamy, just the right consistency, and just plain delicious.

I have nothing against Kopp's, and I do appreciate their burgers from time to time. However, I submit that Kopp's burgers are too greasy and too salty to be consumed on a regular basis. Culver's burgers, on the other hand, are just right. They're the right size, right amount of salt, and, while not exactly lean "health food," they're not dripping with grease.

I love Leon's for the atmosphere. There's no place like Leon's on a hot summer night. But the custard leaves me unsatisfied. It's inconsistent. Sometimes it's too firm, other times it's too runny. It's rarely just right.

I also appreciate the great variety of Culver's frozen treats. Their list of toppings is like two dozen long. And, for those who can't eat dairy products, they actually offer frozen treats without custard in them.
Hey Ronnie -

I cannot scorn you for your Culver's pick, it sounds like you are judging things by authentic standards...you are just finding Culver's to turn out on top, that's cool.

Have you ever tried Kitt's by chance? That might help win you over. Their one drawback is probably somewhat similar to Leon's...somewhat inconsistent custard (best in the daytime when it is all fresh).

Places like Culver's (and Kopps) have an advantage that they have the capacities to be running the custard machines pretty much all day / night, and thus they always have the freshest custard, where Leons and Kitts - older, smaller places - have to more utilize freezers, which sometimes can cut down on custard freshness.

However, Kitts - when the custard is fresh which is still most of the time - has incredibly good custard, usually several flavors of the day - and has some of the best butter pecan, caramel cashew, etc., you can imagine!

I bet you'd love Kitt's.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the Culver's v. Kopp's burgers though! I am allllll about Kopp's burgers and would easily rate them #1 in custard standom (with an underrated burger at 1) Omega - similar to Kopp's, and 2) Oscars - flamebroiled grilled burgers).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 10:47 AM
 
Location: ITP
2,133 posts, read 5,687,880 times
Reputation: 1352
I'm a North Shore boy, so I gotta represent with Kopps. However, I am glad that my fellow Milwaukeeans are representing the local custard stands instead of hyping the Culver's chain (even though Culver's is still great).

EP,

I am almost drooling over my keyboard talking about Kopps. There's no scent as pleasant as a bag with a greasy bottom, filled with a Kopps burger and fries. I gotta try the grilled cheese...sounds great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 12:05 PM
 
395 posts, read 1,682,185 times
Reputation: 242
You guys raise some very valid points. I will grant you that Culver's flavors of the day tend to be candy-centric and a little uninspired. Just crunch up some Kit Kat bars and mix it up in some vanilla custard and - blammo! - you've got a flavor of the day. I agree that Kopp's has more creative flavors that really push the envelope. Pomegranite? Who else in town is doing that right now?

Kopp's is the most creative, even artistic, custard outlet on the Milwaukee scene right now. Look at their locations. They're like works of public art. Each one has its own unique design sensibility. This creative expression extends itself into Kopp's flavors o' the day. They're always pushing the envelope.

But for me, in judging custard, it all comes down to plain ol' vanilla. Take away the fruits, the toppings, the special flavors, and you are left with frozen custard in its purest form: vanilla. This is the building block, the foundation of good custard. And, I contend that Culver's vanilla is incredible. It's rich. It's creamy. And just the right consistency and texture, every time. Kopp's might be more creative with their flavors. But vanilla custard is like the canvas on which the custard artist paints. In this regard, Kopp's is simply not quite as good as Culver's.

Now, I will also grant you that Culver's quality varies from location to location. I have personally visited over 20 Culver's locations in four states. My personal favorite location is the one in Shorewood. The one in West Milwaukee is spotty. The one off the Madison beltline has always disappointed me, time and again. I stopped at one in Altoona, Iowa, that was just downright bad.

For some reason I have never stopped at Kitt's. But I will definately check it out sometime. I have stopped at other north and west side custard stands, like Oscars, and have been dissapointed. But I will defaintely check out Kitt's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Metro Milwaukee, WI
3,198 posts, read 11,481,817 times
Reputation: 2174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee Ronnie View Post
But for me, in judging custard, it all comes down to plain ol' vanilla. Take away the fruits, the toppings, the special flavors, and you are left with frozen custard in its purest form: vanilla. This is the building block, the foundation of good custard. And, I contend that Culver's vanilla is incredible. It's rich. It's creamy. And just the right consistency and texture, every time. Kopp's might be more creative with their flavors. But vanilla custard is like the canvas on which the custard artist paints. In this regard, Kopp's is simply not quite as good as Culver's.
I absolutely do agree on your contentions that vanilla is the staple by which stands should be judged. It is just weird though...I have never really thought Culver's vanilla was very good. But again, that has just been my experience, and I have never been outside of maybe once quite some time ago to the Culver's in Shorewood.

When I have eaten Culver's vanilla, it has been very plain - like they just took the vanilla custard mix that they receive and dumped it into the custard machine. That is NOT how you make proper frozen custard vanilla custard (not saying for sure that is how they do it, but to me that is how it tastes). Proper vanilla should first be poured in its liquid mix state into a bucket, then mixed with a good amount of vanilla extract, and THEN poured into the machine. When coming out, it should taste really vanilla-y!

Not only has Culver's vanilla to me been rather plain, but I have often gotten small ice shards in the custard which is a MAJOR no-no for proper frozen custard. Proper frozen custard should have absolutely no ice shards - those are for ice cream!

I will say this though - it isn't like I am anti-Culver's. Overall, if I was in some small town or non-custard town where my options were Culver's or ice cream, I would easily do Culver's. I really do like Culver's. I would just take any of the above listed stands over Culver's easily.

And admittedly, again, I haven't been to the Culver's in Shorewood more than maybe once, I will have to stop by it sometime to be fair.

OK, only Milwaukeeans could debate the merits of a frozen dessert stand in such detail! But man, when one eats frozen custard / burgers / fries, they understand why it is nearly a religion here!

I worked at Kitt's in my young high school days years ago for about 5 years total, and one of my delights in life was taking a big spoon and catching a huge gob of brand new, freshly made vanilla custard as it was coming out of the machine and then just letting it melt in my mouth. Wow...just tremendous stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Oak Creek, WI
115 posts, read 737,057 times
Reputation: 72
I voted for Leon's, but I gotta give props to Georgie Porgies in Oak Creek. They have some pretty tasty vanilla.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top