Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 08:07 PM

174 posts, read 502,970 times

Advertisements

I'm 23 getting an Associates in Accounting late 2013/early 2014. I've been to Milwaukee before and like the city. I currently live in West MI right across the lake. We have the ferry to and from there, though I have never ridden on it. Anyway I plan on getting my Associates then looking for a job, any type of job, but then earning a bachelor's. However I'm sick of the GR area. Not enough opportunities here. However Chicago is just too big, and Detroit is, well Detroit. Milwaukee has its bad points but not as bad as Detroit or parts of Chicago. It is a great sized city.

How is the economy out there?

What is the cost of living like? I'm guessing lower than Chicago.

Interestingly it is the closest major city by far but the lake makes it seem further away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 05:09 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,470,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARPARP View Post
I'm 23 getting an Associates in Accounting late 2013/early 2014. I've been to Milwaukee before and like the city. I currently live in West MI right across the lake. We have the ferry to and from there, though I have never ridden on it. Anyway I plan on getting my Associates then looking for a job, any type of job, but then earning a bachelor's. However I'm sick of the GR area. Not enough opportunities here. However Chicago is just too big, and Detroit is, well Detroit. Milwaukee has its bad points but not as bad as Detroit or parts of Chicago. It is a great sized city.

How is the economy out there?

What is the cost of living like? I'm guessing lower than Chicago.

Interestingly it is the closest major city by far but the lake makes it seem further away.
It's less expensive than Chicago, and unlike in Chicago, the police will actually show up to take a report if you call them about your car having been broken into.

You don't have to pay off judges and bailiffs when contesting traffic tickets in Milwaukee either.

The economy isn't as good as it is in Chicago. You're much more limited in Milwaukee.

But you're young and if you continued to get credentialed beyond your associate's degree there's no reason you can't pry open a few doors here in Milwaukee with your diplomas and certifications. You might move onward eventually by being relocated to another city for a better position with better pay.

Maybe you could get a job here? Robert W. Baird & Co. - Wealth Management, Capital Markets, Private Equity, Investment Banking

I grew up with a guy that worked for them, starting off at the bottom, I doubt he had a degree in finance or economics, and now he's living in another city for the company making big bucks. My sister-in-law used to work for them downtown, she had some level secretary position or something. But I recall her say she would frequently be handing out $30,000 and $100,000 bonus checks to some of the professional men and women at the higher rungs.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:28 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,470,606 times
If you get in one of their buildings you'll be around decent tenant and a good environment. The properties will be well maintained I imagine. Shoreline Real Estate Home

Old 05-29-2013, 09:12 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARPARP View Post
I have lived my entire life within either 100 miles or 20 miles of the Pacific OCean, or 200 miles of the Canadian or Mexican border.

When I visited Milwaukee recently and saw the lake, couldn't see land across it, I thought that I was seeing another ocean.

I suppose that Tokyo-Los Angeles feels like Milwaukee- Muskegon, MI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee