U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2013, 02:53 PM

18 posts, read 37,900 times

Advertisements

We are currently living out of state, moving to Milwaukee soon and plan on buying a house soon after that. I have gathered a lot of information after reading through the threads, and would like your input on a few things I have not seen mentioned.

We love the urban-suburb feel of Wauwatosa and its proximity to our job locations. Since its such a large and varied area, which pockets of 'Tosa have access to the best schools (elementary schools only for now), and very similar in feel to WFB/Shorewood?

Another concern of mine is the busing from Milwaukee and its impact on the schools. I pulled up a report from the DPI website, and among the suburbs we like (WFB/Shorewood/'Tosa), Wauwatosa has the highest # of transfers from Milwaukee (> 1,000). Is this really apparent in the schools there, or am I just being concerned about nothing?

Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 12:33 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,793,151 times
Well, I lived in Milwaukee me whole life and down the street from Tosa. My 2 middle kids went to Tosa schools through the open enrollment program. Yes, there are a lot of Milw. kids in tosa schools. Some through the minority 220 program, but many through open enrollment. I can tell you firsthand that MANY of the Milwaukee kids are there because to work in Milwaukee schools, fire or police dept, you have to live in the city of Milwaukee. City employees send their kids to Tosa if they can get in. there were 3 of us teachers in a 3 block radius and all our kids went to Wauwatosa. There were a handful of troublesome Milwaukee kids in the school, but since most of the kids were NOT, they were able to manage them. I personally like the area of East Tosa-near their downtown. Some parts are too close to not-nice areas of Milwaukee, like near 60th/Center, but Washington highlands has high-end older homes, and many quaint neighborhoods surrounding Lincoln elementary,Washingon Elementay and East high (across from Lincoln) are GREAT neighborhoods. Now, when school lets out, traffic is a pain with an elementary, middle, and high school so close to each other,but a really nice area. Also a bit up NOrth Ave. in the 80s around Sendiks foods are some nice neighborhoods. My kids got a great education in their schools, but they wouldnt take my youngest because he has special needs, so we moved out of state. I figured, going to make a big move, why not go really BIG and move where I've always wanted to live?
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee