Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 11:04 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,220 times

Advertisements

I think he was just trying to show the suburbanite reasoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 11:12 AM

458 posts, read 1,248,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
You just agreed with the viewpoint of those from outside the area with this statement right here. Is that what you were intending? It doesn't correlate with the beginning of your post. Milwaukee isn't a s*ithole. I'd rather live in Milwaukee any day than move out into the lily white generic suburbs. .
I get a kick when people say "generic suburb". Everything outside of downtown Milwaukee is generic. Just because you live within the city limits doesn't make you any less generic than someone who is 10 minute away living outside the limits. And there are areas of the city of Milwaukee that are further from downtown than some of these generic suburbs.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:42 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
I get a kick when people say "generic suburb". Everything outside of downtown Milwaukee is generic. Just because you live within the city limits doesn't make you any less generic than someone who is 10 minute away living outside the limits. And there are areas of the city of Milwaukee that are further from downtown than some of these generic suburbs.
Well, I grew up in the 'burbs so yeah, they're generic. Which is why I moved out. My parents still live there & I visit often but no way would I ever move back.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:03 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,661,934 times
Shorewood is a suburb of Milwaukee. Do you consider it a "lily white generic"?

Personally, I could see myself living there quite easily.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:06 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,446,250 times
Quote:
You just agreed with the viewpoint of those from outside the area with this statement right here. Is that what you were intending? It doesn't correlate with the beginning of your post. Milwaukee isn't a s*ithole. I'd rather live in Milwaukee any day than move out into the lily white generic suburbs. .
No, I'm saying that's what the some of the suburbanites I have met would say.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Shorewood is a suburb of Milwaukee. Do you consider it a "lily white generic"?

Personally, I could see myself living there quite easily.
I worked in Shorewood. Never again. You have your opinion, I have mine. I hail from the suburbs & I will never live in the suburbs again.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Well, I grew up in the 'burbs so yeah, they're generic. Which is why I moved out. My parents still live there & I visit often but no way would I ever move back.
You missed my point. Just because you are in the city limits doesn't mean it's any different than some suburban areas. Going from Milwaukee to Tosa or West Allis is rather seamless in some areas.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I worked in Shorewood. Never again. You have your opinion, I have mine. I hail from the suburbs & I will never live in the suburbs again.
What's your ideal locale?

Old 07-08-2013, 02:03 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,220 times
Quote:
You missed my point. Just because you are in the city limits doesn't mean it's any different than some suburban areas. Going from Milwaukee to Tosa or West Allis is rather seamless in some areas.
I think a lot of people consider those areas of western Milwaukee near West Allis to be suburban as well, though. It isn't about the lines on a map. I do agree with you regarding Shorewood, though. It's fairly dense, there are a lot of old/historic buildings, and you can see/are right next to downtown.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
What's your ideal locale?
I would either live in the city or live up north, no suburbs. I'm not sure why this seems like something that hasn't been heard before. A lot of people do not like the suburbs, I hear it all the time. Lots of people don't like the city, I just happen to be a person that has experienced the suburban life, I've lived it, worked it, come across people on a consistent basis from the suburbs & have made a rational decision that I will never ever again live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee