U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 11:56 AM

10 posts, read 12,634 times

Advertisements

I'm considering taking a job in Brookfield. My wife and I have two small kids and would probably be looking for a single-family home in the $250-300K range, close to work. What areas of the city and suburbs should I check out? What should I avoid? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 11:59 AM

I should add, we currently live in one of the near suburbs of Chicago, and we like older homes and neighborhoods with a lot of character like the one we're in. But of course good schools and safety are top concerns. Where is there a good combination of old neighborhood and good schools?

Old 07-17-2013, 12:12 PM

Would the Glendale/Whitefish Bay/Shorewood area be a good fit for us?

Old 07-17-2013, 12:49 PM

280 posts, read 548,646 times
I was going to suggest Shorewood. You'd probably fit in any of the places you named, but of the three, Shorewood retains the most of its historic charm.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:10 PM

How about Wauwatosa... how does it differ from Glendale/Whitefish Bay/Shorewood? Wauwatosa would be a bit closer to my work.

Coming from Chicago, I was very surprised to find houses right by Lake Michigan that are in good neighborhoods AND affordable. Amazing, really.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:31 PM

7,289 posts, read 12,865,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40hourworkday View Post
I should add, we currently live in one of the near suburbs of Chicago, and we like older homes and neighborhoods with a lot of character like the one we're in. But of course good schools and safety are top concerns. Where is there a good combination of old neighborhood and good schools?
Not just any suburb of Chicago, but A Near Suburb! I lived in Chicago for a long time, and I work in Chicago now, yet in all the years I've lived and worked in Chicago, I've never heard of anyone say that they live in "a near suburb" (or any suburb) without saying exactly which suburb.

I mean, people practically get into fistfights about adjacent neighborhoods within the city borders...

If you are really looking for legitimate advice, starting with specifics is a good way to start.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:33 PM

Where do you live now?

Old 07-17-2013, 01:52 PM

Brookfield, IL - I'm going from Brookfield to Brookfield

I think this could fairly be called "a near suburb". I didn't expect anyone on here to really know enough about the Chicago area to care which suburb I was coming from.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:19 PM

280 posts, read 548,646 times
Quote:
How about Wauwatosa... how does it differ from Glendale/Whitefish Bay/Shorewood? Wauwatosa would be a bit closer to my work.
Wauwatosa might be okay for you depending on where you live, but it gutted most of its historic charm in a short-sighted attempt to become more like the outer ring suburbs and turned Mayfair Road (its main drag) into one giant strip mall.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Brookfield, IL - I'm going from Brookfield to Brookfield

I think this could fairly be called "a near suburb". I didn't expect anyone on here to really know enough about the Chicago area to care which suburb I was coming from.
Definitely closer than most of them. I was curious because there's so much variety between different suburbs and there are so many of them, it's kind of hard to match a Chicago suburb to a Milwaukee suburb. Milwaukee doesn't have that many suburbs.

Comparable suburbs in terms of housing stock in a sidewalk/streetlight type community with good schools, safety, etc, would be Wauwatosa (nice and close to work), Shorewood, and Whitefish Bay. Glendale is a nice community with a decent variety of homes, but a bit more suburban. Brookfield (WI) and Elm Grove are both really nice places to live, but like Glendale, most of the housing stock is quite a bit newer, and they don't have sidewalks or streetlights that you are probably used to.

The East Side of the city is also a really nice area--great, in fact--and Milwaukee does have school choice, including private schools available, but I don't know exactly how it works.

The obvious advantage for you is that you're so close, you can target a few of these communities and take a few afternoon trips to check them out. The best way to judge each area is to drive around and get a feel for it. Plus you can gauge whether you'd be willing to drive as far as the North Shore suburbs. It's easy to look on a map, but doing it is something different, as you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or