U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 10:34 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,520,805 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if there are any places like that around here. Sandwich places for the most part, but quite a bit different than Subway types.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 10:58 PM

20,168 posts, read 34,473,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Just wondering if there are any places like that around here. Sandwich places for the most part, but quite a bit different than Subway types.
Cousins Subs for sure, a local Wisconsin chain, but higher caliber than a Subway. Good hot pastrami subs. Don't go much but that is because I try to stay on the gluten free regiment.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:56 AM

3,831 posts, read 3,491,792 times
Jake's Deli

Home | Jake's Deli

Old 07-29-2013, 08:40 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,643,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Jake's Deli

Home | Jake's Deli
The best. Some are intimidated by the neighborhood, if so Benji's in Shorewood is a nice substitute. But I think this person is talking about Cousins/Jimmy John's/Erbert's n Gerbert's style fast food sub, of which there are literally dozens of places around town, just like everywhere else in America.

Another one to try is Philly Way, rated best cheesesteak outside Philadelphia by a local Philly mag. Depends on what you're looking for.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:05 PM

2,071 posts, read 4,000,157 times
Glorioso's may have the best subs in Milwaukee, and the prices and service are competitive with the chain sub shops around town.

Gloriosos Italian Market - Fine Italian Specialties Since 1946 - Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Gloriosos Italian Market

Here's their sandwich menu:

http://www.gloriosos.com/store/menus/

Old 07-29-2013, 04:59 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,520,805 times
Thank for all the good suggestions so far. I'll definitely try to check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
The best. Some are intimidated by the neighborhood, if so Benji's in Shorewood is a nice substitute. But I think this person is talking about Cousins/Jimmy John's/Erbert's n Gerbert's style fast food sub, of which there are literally dozens of places around town, just like everywhere else in America.

Another one to try is Philly Way, rated best cheesesteak outside Philadelphia by a local Philly mag. Depends on what you're looking for.
Actually, I tend to lump Cousins, Jimmy John's, Quiznos, Firehouse ect. in with Subway in terms of overall concept even though they may be better. Some really stand out like Gold Coast or Penn Station (my favorite of this style), but they all basically have the same goal.

The two I mentioned are a little bit different than any of these, they're both very large regional chains, and they aren't quite like the neighborhood deli. Actually, neighborhood deli might be what they're trying to emulate, but of course, that style can vary a bit. They aren't full-on fast food, but not a full restaurant. Their stores are larger like a restaurant, and the food presented more like a restaurant. If you dine in, it comes on a plate, not wrapped up. Nothing fancy, but certainly not like the others. Hours are like a restaurant serving lunch and dinner, open until 9 (my biggest issue with Jake's Deli some mentioned). The menus are bigger than the Subway types, with a wider variety of sandwiches, soups, salads, and..... gigantic baked potatoes loaded with your choice of things like pot roast, tex-mex chicken, meatballs and marinara sauce and so on.
Okay I'll admit it, the potato part is mostly what I'm after. These are the only two places I've seen with that style of potato. I was hoping to find a similar type of place Milwaukee. It doesn't have to be a deli or sandwich place, but my guess was that they'd be the most likely to have this. These are nice places to go when the family can't fully agree on where to eat.

Last edited by northbound74; 07-29-2013 at 05:18 PM..

Old 07-29-2013, 05:03 PM

7,675 posts, read 18,902,029 times
Capriotti's Sandwich Shop | Home Page

downtown on Water and Michgan streets inside the Chase building

Old 07-30-2013, 12:09 PM

3,831 posts, read 3,491,792 times
Oh yeah, I forgot about that place. I've only been once but it was pretty good.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:08 PM

280 posts, read 548,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Just make sure you go to the southside branch. The Brady Street one is a different owner and the quality is much different... check out some of the reviews on Yelp.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:27 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,643,789 times
I've only gone to the original spot on 2nd over the years, good to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee