U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 09:52 PM

7,289 posts, read 12,876,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
I read the article & the statement on the colectivo website, but I'm still confused.

Is Mars using the Alterra coffee recipe as well? Or are they just using the Alterra name & then producing their own coffee?
I believe that the name is all that they own, although Mars may have their own blends. You can get Alterra coffee anywhere, but it's not Alterra, er, Colectivo. I presume Mars has their own recipes that they own, and that have nothing to do with any current product offerings from Colectivo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 08:15 AM

4,839 posts, read 3,426,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
I read the article & the statement on the colectivo website, but I'm still confused.

Is Mars using the Alterra coffee recipe as well? Or are they just using the Alterra name & then producing their own coffee?
LOL, I don't think anyone knows. The articles I read weren't very clear, unless I'm simply blind. I haven't been to Alterra in literally years, I usually go to Brewed on Brady St.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:34 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,645,395 times
There are a ton of coffee spots near me, but I really like the new Alterra (main bakery) in Bayview (or Stone Creek across the street), so I'll be interested in what happens, if it's just a name re-brand or if there will be more to it.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:17 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,258,134 times
Yeah, I just read a little more. The below article helps a bit...

"Owner Lincoln Fowler said the deal allowed Mars to globally market products under the Alterra name and that Alterra's experts provided some consulting to Mars about sourcing and roasting of coffee and how to improve what they do.
In return, Alterra's founders maintained control of the local cafes and were able to expand from the nine locations and 210 employees it had in 2010 to 13 locations and 350 employees today."

I like the new name and the funkiness that they can put around it.

undefined - Businessweek

Old 07-30-2013, 06:10 PM

7,678 posts, read 18,913,063 times
Collectivo the worst name for a business since Penny Mustard

Last edited by Milwaukee City; 07-30-2013 at 06:19 PM..

Old 07-30-2013, 06:12 PM

280 posts, read 548,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
There is a reason why Mars paid so much for the name and just the name.
Sure is... it's because of the equity in the Alterra brand thanks to its association with a quality product. That association will now be linked to Collectivo.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:05 PM

7,678 posts, read 18,913,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devitron5000 View Post
That association will now be linked to Collectivo.
For the hardcore fans it will but only time will tell. Naming your coffee company after a bus seems really stupid idea, buses don't sell coffee. Well they sold out to the mainstream I don't know if that will bother some that they just gave their name away to mars a big corporation. I'm not a coffee drinker but when bands "sellout" they lose a portion of their audience and some say quality as well. I have only been to a alterra once and the place looked cool and had a cool vibe I don't care what they change their name to I am not a coffee drinker. I just wonder if the brand loyalty of some people will sour because of the name change. So many coffee drinkers I meet are die-hards, it's their brand and everything else sucks and it is a corporate company and not local they don't like it. It seem like most coffee drinkers are very knowledgeable about the product they are drinking much like craft beer drinkers or Scotch or wine drinkers and take offense when that company does something they don't like or sells out.

To most companies their name is their reputation, I have to think if this was such a good idea that you would see companies changing their name all the time, changing your companies name, it's like taking a company public without taking it public. A nice quick infusion of cash and still keeping your product and business. I just see this as a risk that need not be taken, should have just kept the name.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:56 PM

2,071 posts, read 4,003,253 times
This isn't the first name change for a local business, and it won't be the last. Though I'm not fully on board (pun intended) with Colectivo, it does pay homage to the slight Latin American flair that Alterra has developed over the years (with its summer Latin music series, Days of the Dead t-shirts, etc.). It seems that a lot of people object to the new name because it's Spanish and exotic/foreign, and doesn't sound like an upscale English word. I've heard people say that "Colectivo" has too many syllables-- as if four syllables were challenging. The company's target market probably tends to be globally aware, well travelled (or aspiring to be so), interested in languages beyond English, responsive to fair trade, and reasonably literate. Because of this, "Colectivo" will probably work fine.

I don't think "Colectivo" is worse than "Stone Creek" (sounds boring and suburban) or, even worse, "Anodyne" (a fine word for the meaning it has [uncontroversial, inoffensive], but its association with analgesics makes it sound like a pharmaceutical product). Chicago has "Intelligentsia Coffee," a rather pretentious multisyllabic name, but it seems to be doing okay.

I'm not head over heels with the "Colectivo" bus image, but it does have a global edge that's reminiscent of Putumayo (Global Music) imagery. A bus also lends itself to a lot of possibly interesting signage and visual imagery, so at least it's flexible in that regard.

Whatever it's called, Alterra or Colectivo, I'll continue to be a customer: the coffee's good, and much of the food is tasty.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:24 PM

181 posts, read 261,712 times
I don't know why they needed a change unless they got some new investors that pushed for it. Did they get bought out?

Old 08-11-2013, 09:07 PM

70 posts, read 177,476 times
Does anyone know where I can get some Alterra gear? None of the stores have anything with the words Alterra on it anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or