Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 04:56 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,635,609 times

Advertisements

Very cool feature from Forbes that lets you see many regions' migration patterns.

American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes

Here is Milwaukee's for 2010.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 05:11 PM

280 posts, read 645,314 times
I'm such a geek for stuff like this... thanks for posting.

I'm guessing most of the "red" counties in Wisconsin, Florida, and Arizona are where the baby boomers are moving to run out the clock, and most of the "blue" counties in Wisconsin are where mostly younger people... such as college students and creative types... are coming to Milwaukee from.

Also interesting that almost exactly as many people are moving from Chicago to Milwaukee as the reverse.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:14 PM

180 posts, read 325,910 times
I'm one of those that came from LA!

Old 08-08-2013, 09:27 PM

Same. Though I had my car registered in CA until the tags ran out and didn't register to vote until the last presidential election, so I'm not sure if I was counted in that 2010 number. I still haven't given up my driver's license after 3 years!

Old 08-09-2013, 08:41 AM

4,838 posts, read 4,150,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy1685 View Post
I'm one of those that came from LA!
How do you like Milwaukee so far?

Old 08-09-2013, 09:13 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,154,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devitron5000 View Post
I'm such a geek for stuff like this... thanks for posting.

I'm guessing most of the "red" counties in Wisconsin, Florida, and Arizona are where the baby boomers are moving to run out the clock, and most of the "blue" counties in Wisconsin are where mostly younger people... such as college students and creative types... are coming to Milwaukee from.

Also interesting that almost exactly as many people are moving from Chicago to Milwaukee as the reverse.
You summed up my initial thoughts. The Chicago thing isn't that big of a surprise, there are more jobs (so people move there), but lots of Chicagoans find Milwaukee quaint, but with enough amenities and close enough to Chicago where it's barely an outta' state move.

Also intriguing - the out/in gap is closing. I truly believe that the city is ready to expand again. I also think the Sunbelt boom has slowed, and will reverse due to job/space/water concerns over the next couple decades.

Milwaukee has done a nice job attracting people back to live in the core, now it just needs to finish the job and bring more business headquarters/entertainment there.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
You summed up my initial thoughts. The Chicago thing isn't that big of a surprise, there are more jobs (so people move there), but lots of Chicagoans find Milwaukee quaint, but with enough amenities and close enough to Chicago where it's barely an outta' state move.
I think Chicago's gentrification is as big a factor as anything. The price you can pay for a decent one-bed apartment on Milwaukee's eastside or Riverwest will barely get you anywhere but the most blighted areas of Chicago's south or west sides.

Quote:
Also intriguing - the out/in gap is closing. I truly believe that the city is ready to expand again. I also think the Sunbelt boom has slowed, and will reverse due to job/space/water concerns over the next couple decades.
I hope so as well... I friggin' HATE sunbelt "cities." Aside from maybe New Orleans and Nashville (which was always a city for transients, anyway) pretty much all southern and southwestern cities are sprawling hellholes that traded their own culture for highway lanes, cookie cutter condos and McMansions, lowest-common-denominator fare intended to serve transients, tourists and snowbirds; and more friggin' highway lanes. Orlando and Las Vegas are probably the best examples of this phenomena, but pretty much any major southern/southwestern city has this to some extent.

Quote:
Milwaukee has done a nice job attracting people back to live in the core, now it just needs to finish the job and bring more business headquarters/entertainment there.
Indeed. It's coming... but not quickly enough IMHO.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devitron5000 View Post
I hope so as well... I friggin' HATE sunbelt "cities." Aside from maybe New Orleans and Nashville (which was always a city for transients, anyway) pretty much all southern and southwestern cities are sprawling hellholes that traded their own culture for highway lanes, cookie cutter condos and McMansions, lowest-common-denominator fare intended to serve transients, tourists and snowbirds; and more friggin' highway lanes. Orlando and Las Vegas are probably the best examples of this phenomena, but pretty much any major southern/southwestern city has this to some extent.

While I don't disagree that most sunbelt cities did this, don't think the rust belt WOULDN'T have (and to some lesser extent did) if given the opportunity. It's just there was zero to negative population growth during the 70's-90's which meant no reason for development of subdivisions and McMansions. Also, Midwest/Eastern cities like Milwaukee were pretty much built out by this time and landlocked which is why any development that did occur in the area was predominantly in the suburbs. I think the new development in Waukesha and Ozaukee are just as cookie cutter and disgusting as anything in Vegas or Phoenix.

Also, keep in mind that Milwaukee was more than happy to take Federal dollars and rip down blocks and blocks of old neighborhoods to put its highway culture through (I-794 bulldozing through Bronzeville). Milwaukee is probably more auto dominated than most sunbelt cities. I don't see any rail options or BRT! Vegas, Phoenix, Dallas, etc all have it. LA's is huge and growing like a weed.

Finally, I don't see why you're hating on all southwest cities (with the exception of Nashville & New Orleans). I think there are several southwest cities (San Francisco or the downtown/historic areas of L.A. and S.D.) that have equivalent or superior culture, architecture, walkability, amenities, etc as rustbelt cities and the weather doesn't suck a huge one. Anddddddddd this is why homes there cost $400+/ s.f.

Last edited by HyperionGap; 08-10-2013 at 01:20 AM..

Old 08-10-2013, 11:18 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,592,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Also, keep in mind that Milwaukee was more than happy to take Federal dollars and rip down blocks and blocks of old neighborhoods to put its highway culture through (I-794 bulldozing through Bronzeville). Milwaukee is probably more auto dominated than most sunbelt cities. I don't see any rail options or BRT! Vegas, Phoenix, Dallas, etc all have it. LA's is huge and growing like a weed.
While I don't disagree that most sunbelt cities did this, don't think the rust belt WOULDN'T have (and to some lesser extent did) if given the opportunity.
Interesting that you brought this up. Had growth continued, the Milwaukee area's plans for freeways and automotive domination would have shamed most southern cities.

Wisconsin Highways: Milwaukee Freeway Map

Quote:
It's just there was zero to negative population growth during the 70's-90's which meant no reason for development of subdivisions and McMansions.
Exactly. There wasn't much expansion in residential real estate during that period, while sunbelt states boomed. No growth, no expansion.

Quote:
I think the new development in Waukesha and Ozaukee are just as cookie cutter and disgusting as anything in Vegas or Phoenix.
Most of the recent developments in Waukesha and Ozaukee counties are forgettable. Pick up a subdivision in Waukesha County, and transplant it to Dallas, San Antonio, Phoenix, or Atlanta, maybe modify the vegetation and architectural style slightly, and it's the same thing. Crappy houses with the p-lam counters upgraded to low end granite, maybe a custom backsplash, and of course, a fiberglass garden tub in the master bathroom. The gigantic sunglasses Pewaukeeans might have 500 more square feet, travertine, and an extra garage stall to differentiate themselves from those poor Sussexers.

The only thing Milwaukee specific about the last 20 years of suburban ubiquity, is the zip code.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Finally, I don't see why you're hating on all southwest cities (with the exception of Nashville & New Orleans). I think there are several southwest cities (San Francisco or the downtown/historic areas of L.A. and S.D.) that have equivalent or superior culture, architecture, walkability, amenities, etc as rustbelt cities and the weather doesn't suck a huge one. Anddddddddd this is why homes there cost $400+/ s.f.
Just for the sake of clarity, when I say "Southwest" I'm referring to arid, land locked places like Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma and certain parts of Texas. Places that would otherwise be unlivable if not for technologies like air conditioning and whatever you call their plan to steal water from the Great Lakes. In fact, I'd probably be living in San Fran right now if not for the ridiculous cost of living out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee