U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-13-2007, 07:59 PM

87 posts, read 106,493 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband is from Cairo and a year ago I dragged the poor guy from one of the biggest cities in the world to Tucson AZ while I finished up college. Now Im almost finished and Im definitely seeing that he (we) need to move to a bigger city.

I too would appreciate going someplace more metropolitan than Tucson but at the same time Im from Rochester, NY and NYC scares me. I want a place to raise kids but still diverse, preferably with a decent Muslim presence. Also, having a good job market that would cater to people with overseas and bilingual skills would be a plus.

So tell me about your city! Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 12:11 AM

2,506 posts, read 5,859,873 times
Cairo to Tucson, that's harsh
Anyways, Milw. is a great city in that it maintains it roots like most cities do not. It is close to Chicago, which has a very large Muslim population (I don't know either way about Milw.). It is a nice sized city -- It is a large core city with a relatively small metropolitan area (2 million) which is very nice, IMO. Wisconsin has a very good quality of life, good schools, services, et. cetera. I'm no local, but I suggest it wholeheartedly.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:55 AM

25 posts, read 81,083 times
Milwaukee has a good resource at Welcome to the ISM
As far as Chicago, I'd check this site out -- Chicago History -- lot of good info there.
The Nation of Islam, headed by Louis Farrakhan, is pretty much the extent of many SW WI/NE IL ppl's experience with this religion. I'll just say, it doesn't give a very complete view of the faith....

Old 11-14-2007, 09:36 AM

395 posts, read 1,223,676 times
I would say the Muslim scene in Milwaukee is fairly active and diverse. There are two Muslim schools that teach traditional values, and several mosques. The Middle Eastern Muslim population worships at the Islamic Center of Milwaukee, a substantial mosque on 20th & Layton on the South Side. I grew up not far from the Islamic Center, so I can tell you it's been there for a long, long time, and has grown physically through the years. It serves Saudis, Lebanese, Egyptians, Palestinians ... really the whole Middle Eastern Muslim cohort.

On the north side of the city you have several mosques and a school that serve the African American muslim population. Of late there has been a number of muslim families from Somalia who have migrated to the north side of Milwaukee, drawn by these mosques and this school.

As far as culture and cuisine, the city hosts an Arab Fest every summer at the lakefront, and has a handful of Middle Eastern food markets. There are some great Middle Eastern restaurants as well.

So, all in all, Milwaukee is no Dearborn, Michigan when it comes to Middle Eastern culture in America. But I know quite a few Middle Eastern Muslims that have made a nice life for themselves here and seem quite content.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee