Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 04:47 PM

11 posts, read 34,326 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've recently arrived in Milwaukee after having spent the last several years in Seattle, and before that Austin. In those cities, dense historical neighborhoods are highly coveted and are therefore super expensive. People with less wealth seem to be pushed to the periphery of the urban core. In the few months I've spent exploring Milwaukee, I've noticed some incredibly beautiful Victorian mansions and commercial strips that are in a condition that might be called "urban blight". I'm speaking mainly about the area bordered by 27th Street to the West, Center Street to the North, the river to the East, and Wisconsin Avenue to the South. Also, the areas surrounding National and Mitchell Avenues to a much lesser degree.

Are these neighborhoods at risk of gentrification? Has the process already started? If not, what factors prevent this from occurring? Lack of yuppies/hipsters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 06:14 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,421 times
Milwaukee recorded 20 homicides in August

Old 09-06-2013, 06:27 PM

Ooohhh.....I see.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:39 PM

711 posts, read 1,689,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaragosa View Post
Ooohhh.....I see.
If you think that answers your question, you're dim and gullible.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:10 PM

156 posts, read 351,233 times
I truly wish there was a 'risk' of that area gentrifying, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. People who are interested in older housing stock simply look in the East side, Tosa, Shorewood, Washington Heights, Bay View, Sherman Park & other areas.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:12 PM

While I don't particularly appreciate the ad hominem response, I'd be interested to hear you elaborate, "Jesse276".

Old 09-06-2013, 07:17 PM

156 posts, read 351,233 times
An area that you would probably appreciate which is just outside the area you described would be the Concordia neighborhood (the eastern border is 27th Street). That in fact is an area where I have seen some gentrification in the past.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:45 PM

413 posts, read 789,519 times
Milwaukee has gentrified for a while, and is continuing to gentrify now but it's unlikely you'll be priced out of Milwaukee by a deluge of people.

Climate is a huge factor. People put up with the otherwise undesirable aspects of Seattle and Austin's climates (gloom and sweltering heat, respectively) because they don't want to deal with cold, snowy winters. Milwaukee has cold, snowy winters. That makes it a deal-breaker for many people living in the South and on the coasts.

Economy is also a factor. Milwaukee's economy is...stable. It's extremely unlikely that Milwaukee will become a major tech hub like Seattle or Austin. For one, the state's flagship computer science department is in Madison. Second there just is't a huge tech cluster in Milwaukee. Milwaukee's big tech gambit is to become the Silicon Valley of Fresh Water research. This makes a certain amount of sense but it's probably not going to turn Milwaukee into an Austin or Seattle in the next 20 years. Especially when it would have to overcome the climate hurdle.

Third, Milwaukee has a ****-load of old neighborhoods and buildings around because, unlike Austin and Seattle, it had a much larger population 50 years ago. It hasn't shrunk as badly as Buffalo, Cleveland, or Detroit, but it has shrunk, leaving physical capital behind in the form of old buildings to be occupied.

Fourth, schools are key. While young people move to cities after high-school or college to seek their fortune, odds are, in the coming years they will get married and want to have children. Milwaukee's schools are widely perceived as being awful. I don't know whether this is true. I suspect it's exaggerated, but it will result in people leaving to start families in the suburbs, where it's cheaper anyway, or leaving the Milwaukee metro area entirely, or not moving their family to Milwaukee to begin with.

I think Milwaukee is pretty gentrification-proof (in the Seattle and Austin sense) for those reasons.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:15 PM

I think you may be spot on, Steve. In the way that Seattle and Austin are presently the centers of an information technology boom, Milwaukee was at one point the center of industry (presumably brewing, or crude turbine engines, or something). In the future, jerks like me will assuredly be lamenting the dilapidated state of 'historically significant' 1970s split-levels in Bellevue.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:46 PM

711 posts, read 1,689,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaragosa View Post
While I don't particularly appreciate the ad hominem response, I'd be interested to hear you elaborate, "Jesse276".
Isn't it obvious? Listing murders in the city doesn't necessarily mean anything for a specific neighborhood and its future. Did you not know that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee