U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-26-2008, 08:17 AM

2,127 posts, read 3,825,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opinions2 View Post
Some areas in Brown Deer maybe safe, the area in general has some quality of life issues. My mistake if Northridge is not in Brown Deer, I in my many years living in the area had thought it was, it is right in the backyard of Brown Deer. I hope that my perceptions are wrong. I live in close and have seen the changes.
Some areas? How about most of the Village of Brown Deer is safe. I guess I worry a lot at night about my mom living alone in Brown Deer and the fact that some one may accost her on the street by asking about how she keeps her lawn so green or which roofing company she used recently.

However, I do agree that some of the apartment complexes have experience a decline, but outside of the immediate Northridge area it's still pretty safe and nice.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 09:08 AM

29 posts, read 71,263 times
So where do people shop who live in north Milwaukee or just north? Has another mall cropped up?

Old 03-26-2008, 10:14 AM

3,058 posts, read 7,769,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spieker View Post
So where do people shop who live in north Milwaukee or just north? Has another mall cropped up?
No. For major malls, they now haul down either to Bayshore Town Center (Northshore...I-43 and Silver Spring in Glendale) or Mayfair Mall (Wauwatosa / west...I-45 and Mayfair Rd.).

Old 03-27-2008, 11:04 AM

29 posts, read 71,263 times
Wow this is all news...I wonder if Green Bay has a mall? It might be closer to shop there from Sheboygan.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spieker View Post
I wonder if Green Bay has a mall?
They do indeed.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:21 PM

2,127 posts, read 3,825,845 times
I don't want to veer even more off-topic, but don't a lot of people in Green Bay frequent the large mall in Appleton?

Old 03-27-2008, 06:47 PM

1,575 posts, read 2,298,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck13 View Post
Does anyone remember the name of the hair salon at Northridge???
It was kind of expensive, the place where everyone went for trendy 80's cuts. (feathered and BIG hair). Me and my friend are going insane trying to remember the name of the place!!!! (there was also one with the same name at the Grand Avenue mall)
I just stumbled across this forum while looking for other info.
Was the salon Erik of Norway? Back in those days it was THE place to get your hair cut. There was another location on the East side... if that's the place.
I lived across from Northridge in the early 70s when it was built. It was a great area back then. I was surprised to hear that it closed, hard to believe the area had become so "bad". I have heard similar things about Capitol Court and Mayfair.
I don't understand why a new mall hasn't been built out in what used to be the "boonies"... Waukesha, Grafton, Hartford, West Bend etc. Seems like a lot of people have escaped the city for those areas.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
I have heard similar things about Capitol Court and Mayfair.
You heard right about Capitol Court. The old Capitol Court mall closed long ago (although, similar to Northridge, there are now some big box retailers there) and the CC area in general is not one of the better ones in the city of Milwaukee. I worked for years a little over a decade ago in my high school / early college job about 10 blocks up from CC and it was already a pretty rough-in-spots area then.

You heard wrong about Mayfair. Mayfair is one of the premier malls in the state if not the most premier. It generates the highest sales volume / foot traffic of every mall and it is continually growing. It has some of the big national upscale chains (Cheesecake Factory, etc.) that aren't found commonly in other malls in the area. The area around Mayfair is as nice and fine as always - strictly very conventional Wauwatosa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
I don't understand why a new mall hasn't been built out in what used to be the "boonies"... Waukesha, Grafton, Hartford, West Bend etc. Seems like a lot of people have escaped the city for those areas.
I don't believe there are any major plans for a major "mall" in the northern suburbs you mentioned like Hartford and West Bend (although Grafton is seeing a huge retail boom), however, a major / huge mall is being planned and constructed - Pabst Farms - in the Oconomowoc area (Lake Country) which will likely be the largest mall in the metro MKE area:

Pabst Farms - Experience A Rare Way Of Life

Old 03-28-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
I don't want to veer even more off-topic, but don't a lot of people in Green Bay frequent the large mall in Appleton?
Yep - The Fox River Mall:

Fox River Mall (http://www.foxrivermall.com/html/index13.asp - broken link)

Old 04-05-2008, 11:00 AM

149 posts, read 364,909 times
Quote:
I lived across from Northridge in the early 70s when it was built. It was a great area back then. I was surprised to hear that it closed, hard to believe the area had become so "bad". I have heard similar things about Capitol Court and Mayfair.
I grew up in that area too. It was a nice with lots of wooded areas and fields. Now the area south of it has become something of an industrial/office park. Mayfair is the best mall in the Milwaukee area right now. It hasn't gone down. It hasn't been without problems though. They had a big problem with loitering but they seem to be on top of it. There's been a few parking lot incidents as well but nothing major. The surrounding neighborhoods are nice, safe, and clean. Mayfair should remain safe as long as mall management and the police do their jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee