Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 12:19 PM

283 posts, read 434,628 times

Advertisements

One thing I did find odd was the prices on certain things. Like Lysol spray is 2x what I ever saw, even in NYC and the same for Cascade powder. Cascade was dirt cheap at Target in NYC--it's 2x+ more here.

The other thing was EAS carb control protein drinks. I've only found them at one place for less than $8, and that's CVS. Oddly enough, milk was also the cheapest at CVS.

Generally, I've been pretty happy with the prices I've seen for groceries. I should be able to shave off at least $100 from what we were paying in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 01:07 PM

545 posts, read 1,485,038 times
When I was in Milwaukee, we did most of our shopping at Woodman's and got fresh items (meat and produce) at Sendik's. Sendik's quality on fresh items is very good. I'm further south now and get everything but meat at the Woodman's in Kenosha. Woodman's can't be beat on prices for packaged foods. They are literally dollars cheaper than Pick n' Save and others on some items. Their produce is OK. They like to sell items that are graded lower for appearances - for example a funny shaped pepper or apple. They still taste fine though.

It should be noted that there are different owners for many of the Sendik's. The one on the east side on Downer and the other on Oakland in Shorewood are owned by two different families if I remember correctly. They are pretty small, but good for meats and produce. The larger ones in Mequon, Germantown, Grafton, West Bend, New Berlin, Greenfield, Franklin, and Whitefish Bay, sometimes called the "Red Bag" Sendik's, are owned by the Balistreri family and are full service grocery stores. There is another Sendik's out on Capitol drive in Brookfield that's a full service store, also owned by a Balistreri, but not the same ones as the others. It's kind of confusing if you're new to town. I shopped at the one in Mequon and it was nice. It's the largest one in the chain. They had a huge selection of meat at that location including dry aged steaks. It could get expensive, but the quality usually backed up the prices.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:40 PM

Thank you for the informative post on Sendik's and Woodman's!

My wife cooks a lot, so fresh produce and quality meats are pretty important to her. I'm more of a packaged and frozen food guy (being a bachelor and very busy with work most of my life), so it's hard to get everything at one place for us.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:25 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,446,953 times
I've noticed that even the discount grocery stores in higher density areas IE Pick and Save in downtown/1st ring suburbs is just as expensive as upscale grocery stores in further out suburbs, but the further out upscale grocers have much better fresh produce.

Go to pick and save on Ogden and pay $3 for fresh lettuce that expires in 4 days or go out to Sendiks in Mequon and pay $3 for the same lettuce but it expires in two weeks. Much fresher, same price.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
I've noticed that even the discount grocery stores in higher density areas IE Pick and Save in downtown/1st ring suburbs is just as expensive as upscale grocery stores in further out suburbs, but the further out upscale grocers have much better fresh produce.

Go to pick and save on Ogden and pay $3 for fresh lettuce that expires in 4 days or go out to Sendiks in Mequon and pay $3 for the same lettuce but it expires in two weeks. Much fresher, same price.
I've noticed that the pricing follows that pattern as well. Pretty much the same in most cities. The NJ suburbs were much cheaper than Manhattan, sometimes even half.

That's an interesting point about the quality. Once we get into a regular routine of shopping, we'll have to venture out a bit. Although, after last night's 'loading up' on groceries and transporting them back to our place, we're going to have to stick to the NYC pattern of 'just in time' shopping. And more than likely that will mean just hitting the city stores when we need something vs planning for larger shopping runs.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:56 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamirD View Post
I've noticed that the pricing follows that pattern as well. Pretty much the same in most cities. The NJ suburbs were much cheaper than Manhattan, sometimes even half.

That's an interesting point about the quality. Once we get into a regular routine of shopping, we'll have to venture out a bit. Although, after last night's 'loading up' on groceries and transporting them back to our place, we're going to have to stick to the NYC pattern of 'just in time' shopping. And more than likely that will mean just hitting the city stores when we need something vs planning for larger shopping runs.
Yeah, I pretty much go to the grocery store every day or every other day to pick up stuff instead of going say once a week & loading up. Veggies or fruit just rot if I do it that way. It's really too bad that America isn't more like say Europe with more corner little deli's or marts that people can easily walk to whenever they want instead of having to drive to the store like they do here. It's just so inconvenient & attributes to unhealthy eating & relying on your car.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:41 AM

81 posts, read 110,748 times
Is there PeaPod or any grocery delivery service there? I prefer ordering on-line and having groceries delivered instead of making it a three hour errand on weekends.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton13 View Post
Is there PeaPod or any grocery delivery service there? I prefer ordering on-line and having groceries delivered instead of making it a three hour errand on weekends.
Yes, we have Pea Pod.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:41 PM

81 posts, read 110,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Yes, we have Pea Pod.
Thanks. Same prices as Fresh Direct here (NYC) but I would probably do it for the familiarity/convenience.

But PeaPod won't deliver beer! Get a local lobbyist on that pronto.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton13 View Post
Thanks. Same prices as Fresh Direct here (NYC) but I would probably do it for the familiarity/convenience.

But PeaPod won't deliver beer! Get a local lobbyist on that pronto.
Haha, believe me I've thought of that business idea already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee