U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 01:04 PM

49 posts, read 48,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradleyc View Post
Marquette is on the western edge of downtown. Maybe 8 blocks from the train/bus station. There are enough dorms on campus for the freshman and sophomore classes to live, which is mandatory. There are plenty of apartment buildings around the campus that are for older students to live in. I lived in one of them when I went there.

Marquette men's BB games are at the Bradley Center, home of the Bucks and in the heart of downtown. That's where lots of concerts are too. All very walkable.

The bad neighborhoods are about six blocks north and west of campus. There's no reason to be up that way, (unless you are going to Speed Queen for great BBQ!). The Campus Police patrol regularly. I never felt threatened walking around.

UWM is a good school. I went there for a few classes as well. They have started really developing into a comprehensive public research school with the new Freshwater Sciences and Public Health Schools as well as the new Innovation Center campus out by the County Grounds. But there's no question MU has the better academics, if you can afford it.

UWM's campus is well north of downtown. There are bike trails all through the city and that is a good way to get around from there. I wouldn't want to be on some of them at night though.

As for Thanksgiving, there will surely be families that will welcome you to join them even if you've only known them for a few weeks or less. Especially with you being so far from home. Making friends is the easiest thing to do. You will have no trouble getting invited to parties and dinners all the time. Don't miss tailgating at Miller Park. It's like a town fair everyday.
I have been looking around Milwaukee on street view and it seems a really all-American city, which is what I want. Despite it not being a "vacation spot" like LA, San Diego, or NYC I really like the place. I have searched up some of the ghettoes of Milwaukee and they genuinely do not look that bad... Maybe it's because the architecture and whole aesthetic of the USA is new to me.

I think Marquette is going to be my choice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 02:49 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,839,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrvyspctr View Post
3. If I decide on the two Milwaukee schools as two of my three choices. Which would you say should be number 1 choice? I think Marquette is my preferred one.

Thanks
Marquette! I was an international student there, too, and I also know a few people who went to UWM. I can't comment on UWM's academic standards but MU is a much smaller school which makes you feel at home and intergrated more easily. They also offer a very nice program for international students that is pretty unique in the US.
The area around MU can be a bit sketchy, but the Department of Public Safety takes care of everything and nothing has ever happened to me or any of my friends.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:40 PM

275 posts, read 323,261 times
1. We just moved here from NYC and Alabama and Paris, France before that. What surprised us was how uncrowded it is, while still having all the arts and other activities that any major metro would have. It's like everything is here and is accessible. People have been some of the most friendly we've ever met in our lives. We were going to only live here a few years and return to NYC, but now we're thinking of just staying here period. We don't know if the winter will change our mind though, lol.

2. The cold is not UK cold, it's Canada cold. Winter hasn't even started and it's already hit 0F (-12C). But if you love snow, you will love it here! I love snow too since I grew up in Michigan. I've heard there's some awesome sledding hills during winter.

The heat in the US is what will get you more than the snow. It will get very hot and humid here compared to the UK. I think you'll be okay as long as it doesn't get into the really hot temperatures (90F+), which I have heard is rare.

3. Crime is there, but if you're used to a high crime town, you should be okay, especially near the universities. Just use the same street smarts you use at home, and you should be fine.

4. I think you will fit in fine. We've found most everyone is very, very nice. And with a strong European influence in the city, you'll find yourself thinking how elements from home got here.

5. In our opinion, MKE has better and more preserved history than NYC. The older buildings are remarkably well kept and even celebrated, allowing one to look 100 years the past just by walking or driving by buildings. Just down the street from us is a place called the 'Roman Coin'--a bar that has been in MKE since the 1890s! And it still looks like it was built this century! This is what I really find wonderful about MKE--the well-preserved, every day history. It reminds us of Paris in some ways, although Paris had this around every corner.

MKE was a great manufacturing hub, and still is home to one of the oldest breweries in the US. The deep history with manufacturing ties back into the Europeans who originally settled here. I read all this stuff online as I was researching the city. It has completely facinated me, and normally I could care less about this stuff. It's just that its influence is still so ever-present. Friday Fish Frys are a staple at any restaurant (even Japanese ones!)--and this is leftover from German culture (if I recall correctly) that was once deeply rooted here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Harrier visited Milwaukee earlier this year and used MCTS(the local bus transit system).
Why is Harrier posting in third person?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradleyc View Post
...Auto racing...
Hey! Where can I find some of this? I'm new to the city too.
Quote:
My dream is to do Route 66...
I have done major parts of this from LA to Oklahoma City. It was just me, my car, and my camera for 2 weeks. I loved it.
Quote:
Despite it not being a "vacation spot" like LA, San Diego, or NYC I really like the place. I have searched up some of the ghettoes of Milwaukee and they genuinely do not look that bad... Maybe it's because the architecture and whole aesthetic of the USA is new to me.
It's actually got quite a bit going on just like the vacation spots, but none of the disadvantages (that we've found anyways). The ghettos are signalled pretty well by blighted buildings or ones with boards on what used to be the windows. Just look for pictures of 'Detroit blight' and then stay away from places that look like that.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:12 PM

2,531 posts, read 2,197,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamirD View Post
Hey! Where can I find some of this? I'm new to the city too.
I apologize if I'm answering for mbradleyc before he got time to respond. They have auto racing at the Milwaukee Mile Speedway. It's a paved 1 mile oval. Indyfest is the biggest event they have. Speaking of Milwaukee history, it's the oldest operating speedway in the world.

Milwaukee Mile Speedway and Peck Media Center | Wisconsin State Fair Park
Milwaukee IndyFest

An hour north is Road America. It's a 4 mile paved road course. Their main events are Super Bike racing, and NASCAR Nationwide series.
Welcome to Road America | Elkhart Lake's Road America, Inc.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:45 AM

358 posts, read 396,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
I apologize if I'm answering for mbradleyc before he got time to respond. They have auto racing at the Milwaukee Mile Speedway. It's a paved 1 mile oval. Indyfest is the biggest event they have. Speaking of Milwaukee history, it's the oldest operating speedway in the world.

Milwaukee Mile Speedway and Peck Media Center | Wisconsin State Fair Park
Milwaukee IndyFest

An hour north is Road America. It's a 4 mile paved road course. Their main events are Super Bike racing, and NASCAR Nationwide series.
Welcome to Road America | Elkhart Lake's Road America, Inc.
No worries. But in addition to this, RoadAmerica's biggest race currently is the American LeMans series, usually a 500 mile race that looks like something Speed Racer would be in.

They have had Indycar level races in the recent past and are actively trying to get them back. That is the same series as the Indyfest race at the Mile.

In fact, the rumors are strong that the Sprint Cup series will be coming to RA in the next 2 or 3 years. That's the biggest NASCAR series that is all popular now. It's not what I am interested in, but I'd go see it if they do.

I saw a CART race at RA about 12 years ago. CART was a predecessor to Indycar, open wheeled cars that are a step or two down from Formula 1. RA would be a great choice for a Grand Prix, but there aren't enough hotel rooms around Elkhart Lake to support F1.

Road America is considered one of the finest road courses in North America and is very popular in the racing world. It sure is pretty! There's even a little group of British expat racers who have settled in the town, I believe including John Fitzpatrick, if you've heard of him.

Don't underestimate the ghetto/barrio. They are bad places. Milwaukee isn't as big and bad as Chicago or Detroit, let alone LA, but there are some mean streets. But the boundaries are pretty well fixed.

Last edited by mbradleyc; 12-04-2013 at 02:45 AM..

Old 12-04-2013, 07:26 AM

3,831 posts, read 3,491,792 times
As far as per capita violent crime Milwaukee is SIGNIFCANTLY worse than LA and somewhat worse than Chicago. But as people have pointed out the hood is a very well defined area and there honestly isn't any reason to go there.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:43 PM

49 posts, read 48,482 times
I've lived in the Scottish highlands when I was 8 until 14, so I know what cold is!

Make or break question: Is Milwaukee easy to travel around without a car? What's its walkability like?

If the answer is: It's got good public transport and is very walkable, then without a doubt Marquette will be my first choice and UW Milwaukee my back -up.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:46 PM

Downtown Milwaukee is quite compact and the buses come about every 10 minutes.

Walkability I feel is very subjective. Once the temperature drops below about 30 I don't want to walk anywhere if I can help it.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:49 PM

4,839 posts, read 3,424,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Downtown Milwaukee is quite compact and the buses come about every 10 minutes.

Walkability I feel is very subjective. Once the temperature drops below about 30 I don't want to walk anywhere if I can help it.
LOL, no, I WISH the buses were that convenient. During prime hours, work commute, you're still waiting 15-20 minutes between buses. That's ridiculous. And when it's in the afternoon say, at off times, I've waited many times for half an hour. And this is the green line (used to be the 15), one of the most popular main lines in Milwaukee.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:26 AM

I took the #30, 3-4 days a week up to UWM from downtown for 2 years. That bus goes every 8-12 minutes, 95% of the time, whether it was 8 AM, 2 PM, or 8 PM. Honestly I never even bothered learning the bus schedule, because unless I just missed one, a new bus would be there in 5 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or