U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 08:28 AM

4 posts, read 7,811 times

Advertisements

So the title of the thread says it all.

I was born and raised in the Atlanta area. I have lived in small town Auburn, AL for 6 years before landing my first fulltime gig in Augusta (a bit small for my personal liking). Now don't get me wrong, I love the state of GA. Weather is solid, sweet tea, the Braves and alot to be said for southern hospitality. However, I do want to get out of the south as I have known nothing but it for the past 25 years.

To give you a little bit of background about myself: I am a single, engineer. Have a dog, love sports (college and pro football and Major league baseball). Love snow (oddly enough) and mountains.

Anywho....I've visited Milwaukee before and seem fond of the area. Its a city but not as wild as Atlanta (racial tension, high crime, etc.). I currently work in manufacturing and that seems to be a blessed industry in Wisconsin.

Also, I understand the cost of living is fairly reasonable as well. I would really love to hear from those that live in the Milwaukee area currently..how do you like it?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 09:21 PM

278 posts, read 368,767 times
So I lived a majority of my life in Alabama, so I know what you mean about the south. I just moved to Milwaukee a few months ago with my wife who's more fond of places like New York and Paris (larger metropolitan cities). And we both love it here!

If you love snow, you'll definitely see it on a regular basis during the winter. It's our first winter here and we just got another dumping of a few inches. It's beautiful, but it's also extremely dangerous with all the crazy drivers. The drivers are actually worse than when it snows in the south. Be sure to have a car properly equipped to avoid accidents, because you will need it.

There seems to be a lot of singles in the city, especially in the third ward. The bar scene is definitely alive and feels like a good party is always going on.

Your dog will either love the snow or hate it. We see a lot of dogs absolutely going crazy playing in the snow.

Sports are (I dare to say it) even bigger than in the south. Football is beyond a religion here, making the whole 'roll tide' thing look like a weak handshake. "Are you a fan of the Packers?" will be either the second or third question most people meeting you will ask. No joke, it's happened to us on more than one occasion.

Mountains are the only thing you'll probably miss here. I was in Huntsville, so we had the TN valley mountain range all around us, and Milwaukee is definitely a lot more...flat. But the natural beauty is still there with a lot of green to be found everywhere.

Cost of living will be around the same as ATL in the city, and Augusta outside the city and in the suburbs. You'll find most everything you're used to, except maybe Krispy Kreme.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:33 AM

8,121 posts, read 20,521,582 times
Cost of living is cheaper than ATL however our taxes might be higher as we are a high tax state, so you might take a hit income tax and gas tax and property tax. Milwaukee sales tax 5.6%.

Milwaukee largest sector is healthcare and in a close second is manufacturing everything from ma and pa machine shops setup in their garages to large manufacturing firms. There are great engineer jobs here due to that fact and find work shouldn't be a problem I know a lot of engineers and they all found work very easily once they graduated from the Milwaukee School of Engineering which is a very good engineering school that has a pretty impressive alumni.

Sports, Packers! Packers! Packers! that is king of sports in this state while I am a Bears fan and there are a lot of us here in the MKE area Packers is more than a religion here and all over the state. Baseball, Milwaukee is a great baseball town and Miller Park is one of the best stadiums to see a baseball game. Also our location is huge if you really love baseball since we have 3 minor league teams within 2 hours and another summer league baseball team in Mequon. Also within 2 hours you have Wrigley Field and US Cellular Field. So if you want to catch a American League game you can drive 1.5 hours and you are the Cell to watch the White Sox. There isn't a better location if you want to watch professional baseball, 3 MLB teams within an hour and a half.

Milwaukee in summer is full of a ton of stuff to do, since our winters suck we really make up for it in summer with a ton of street festivals and ethnic festivals, block parties and parades. We have a great nightlife, a great lake, great restaurants and more bars clubs and lounges that you can shake a stick at. You seriously cannot be bored here in Spring, Summer and fall plus Chicago is only an hour away and downtown Chicago is only a hour and half. There is a train that travels between Milwaukee and Chicago 8 times a day but a little pricey at $26 one way but worth it in my book.

The only I warn against is Winter, it sucks. Then again I hate winter! Some people like it, I don't believe them but that's what they say.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:59 AM

3,637 posts, read 3,620,907 times
I've had family in Wisconsin all of my life & spent a heck of a lot of time there. If you think that the Milwaukee area will have less "racial tension", as you called it, than metro Atlanta does then you are in for a shock.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I've had family in Wisconsin all of my life & spent a heck of a lot of time there. If you think that the Milwaukee area will have less "racial tension", as you called it, than metro Atlanta does then you are in for a shock.
Oh, this is a good point I didn't touch on. The city is quite segregated. And you can find yourself in the equivalent of one of the 'bad' areas of ATL quite quickly as it's all around the downtown area (much like other large metros). But just like in ATL, if it's during the day and you're not doing anything there but passing through, you'll be fine.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:28 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,049,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamirD View Post
You'll find most everything you're used to, except maybe Krispy Kreme.

108th in West Allis:

Store-Locator

I'd say a person would find much of what they're used to, but Milwaukee is a bit quirky when it comes to what national chains they have and what they don't have. Also, places that routinely have lines out the door and around the corner throughout the entire day in other cities seem to be far less busy in Milwaukee. Krispy Kreme and Chipotle come to mind.
But, they are big on supporting local, so that's pretty neat.
Milwaukee is not a politically conservative city, but it is pretty keen on tradition and slow to change. Harley-Davidson is based there, and after you've lived there a while, you can see similarities between the city and that company.
There are two big differences from the south (I also grew up down there): culture and weather.
Culturally, people are generally nice and down to earth. Wisconsin as a whole is more affluent, but it's not particularly snotty.
There aren't a lot of huge differences, just a whole bunch of small ones that add up to the point you'll feel like you're in a whole different country at times. I don't mean that negatively. Also, the differences can be hard to explain and identify at times, they are just there.
Weather, well, that one's obvious. Some people adjust differently to it. Small example: I used to think nothing of wearing a wool coat at 40 degrees. Now it has to be no more than 20 or else I get too hot.

Either Alabama has changed, or we've had different experiences. The Packer thing reminds me a lot of the Alabama-Auburn craziness. With the NFL instead of college, but very much a college-like atmosphere.
Packers in Wisconsin are like any random SEC team is to their state. Well at least the older ones, not the relative newcomers like Mizzou or Arkansas.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:55 AM

4 posts, read 7,811 times
Sounds like a place I could fit right in. Racial tensions are prevalent anywhere I suppose. Thanks for all the incite fellas!

Old 01-07-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
108th in West Allis:

Store-Locator

I'd say a person would find much of what they're used to, but Milwaukee is a bit quirky when it comes to what national chains they have and what they don't have. Also, places that routinely have lines out the door and around the corner throughout the entire day in other cities seem to be far less busy in Milwaukee. Krispy Kreme and Chipotle come to mind.
But, they are big on supporting local, so that's pretty neat.
Milwaukee is not a politically conservative city, but it is pretty keen on tradition and slow to change. Harley-Davidson is based there, and after you've lived there a while, you can see similarities between the city and that company.
There are two big differences from the south (I also grew up down there): culture and weather.
Culturally, people are generally nice and down to earth. Wisconsin as a whole is more affluent, but it's not particularly snotty.
There aren't a lot of huge differences, just a whole bunch of small ones that add up to the point you'll feel like you're in a whole different country at times. I don't mean that negatively. Also, the differences can be hard to explain and identify at times, they are just there.
Weather, well, that one's obvious. Some people adjust differently to it. Small example: I used to think nothing of wearing a wool coat at 40 degrees. Now it has to be no more than 20 or else I get too hot.

Either Alabama has changed, or we've had different experiences. The Packer thing reminds me a lot of the Alabama-Auburn craziness. With the NFL instead of college, but very much a college-like atmosphere.
Packers in Wisconsin are like any random SEC team is to their state. Well at least the older ones, not the relative newcomers like Mizzou or Arkansas.
Thank you for the KK link! I bit far for an 'excuse' to get some, but I know we've got them, so I can't say I'm missing them.

Really great insight on the restaurants and chains as I've seen that too. I really like how there is an unspoken effort to support local in a real way, not just marketing PR. People seem to take a lot of pride in their work, which I find refreshing. The American spirit is alive in Wisconsin.

Oh yah, the accent yah--lol. One of the small things that can add up. I totally get what you're saying.

The AL/AU thing is definitely alive as it ever has been, but Packers fans are just seem even more over-the-top--like a college team that gets to the superbowl EVERY year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUalumWDE View Post
Sounds like a place I could fit right in. Racial tensions are prevalent anywhere I suppose. Thanks for all the incite fellas!
If you've like what we've written, you'll love it here. There's so many great things we didn't even touch on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee