Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,917 times

Advertisements

I probably have to move to Milwaukee in 6 weeks. I am 29 yrs single male. Wanted to know how is the city in terms of fun-o-meter, how is its night life? Is the city culturally diverse? How is the cost of living?
Also any suggestions where to take up apartments for rent near to downtown - may be 2-3 miles outside downtown is okay. I am willing to pay around 750$ for a 1 bed/bath. Howz the local transport service?

Please provide your inputs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 07:13 PM

92 posts, read 235,811 times
The city has very good nightlife. Milwaukee is second only to Las Vegas in bar ratio per capita. There's also some good music scenes. There's the Rave/Eagles Ballroom that hosts great concerts. We also have Summerfest which is right on the lake and is one of the largest music festivals in the world. Good suburbs/neighborhoods for nightlife are Shorewood, Third Ward, Walkers Point, and a more relaxed part of Milwaukee county is Wauwatosa. We are culturally diverse however we are very segregated. The majority of African Americans live on the north side, Mexicans on the far south side, and Caucasians are dispersed throughout the city. The cost of living isn't very bad but it gets pricey in The Third Ward which is a very trendy and young neighborhood directly outside of downtown. You should be able to find some reasonable priced apartments in Shorewood, by the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Riverwest, and all over the east side if you want to be close to downtown. I would stay away from Wisconsin avenue until like 45th street because that area has higher crime than the other neighborhoods right out of Downtown Milwaukee. Our transportation isn't the best but it's not the worst either. A lot of people take the Milwaukee County Transit System(The Bus) because we don't have light rail and the majority of people drive and walk. Milwaukee is very walkable. I hope you have fun in Milwaukee!

Old 04-02-2014, 07:18 PM

92 posts, read 235,811 times
Oh I completely forgot to mention the Riverwalk and Lakefront! We don't have a huge skyline but these are our gems. There's plenty of great restaurants, bars, and clubs on the Milwaukee river and it's fully accessible by walking. We also have a good lakefront. There's plenty of beaches and parks along the shore. I recommend 7 bridges park, Bradford beach, and walking the shore just looking at the beauty of Lake Michigan. Sorry I sound like a cheesy travel guide!

Old 04-03-2014, 02:41 PM

2 posts, read 1,917 times
Thanks a lot FromMilwaukeeInSeattle. I like the travel guidance. Whenever I move to a new city, I visit the downtown first and its always gives me the feel how the city is. I know the weather in winter is a major dampener but other than that Milwaukee seems promising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee