U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-19-2007, 09:55 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,698,878 times

Advertisements

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/12626191.html

Local News

Dec 19, 2007
Story Updated: Dec 19, 2007

USA Today: Milwaukee Second In Police Misconduct

Mick Trevey
Katie DeLong

MILWAUKEE - Milwaukee ranks high on an unwelcome list.

USA Today ranked the city second in the country for police brutality.

It's based mainly on the Frank Jude beating case where eight officers were charged.

Milwaukee's incoming police chief reacted to that news Tuesday.

“Every time we have a crisis, it’s an opportunity to learn from it and do better next time,” Ed Flynn said.

Ed Flynn promises to turn the department around and focus on the good work officers do.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 10:37 AM

428 posts, read 1,157,328 times
I'm confused. The USA Today article mentions that Milwaukee is 2nd for Prosecutions of Officers For Misconduct in 2007, not Police Brutality. That statistic is hardly a benchmark for brutality due to a number of factors. The number of civilians affected is number one in my book. While I don't want to downplay the crime that happened to Jude, you can't equate one case of brutality to multiple cases. Sure Milwaukee had 8 officers charged in 2007 with police misconduct but they were all that one incident.

The deputy sheriff killing 6 people in Crandon a few months ago was the bigger example of police brutality IMHO. But that would barely show up on the statistics because only one officer was involved. And of course he will never be prosecuted because he is dead. Crappy statistical analysis really gives the wrong impression.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:51 AM

27,025 posts, read 22,427,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear_Art View Post
I'm confused. The USA Today article mentions that Milwaukee is 2nd for Prosecutions of Officers For Misconduct in 2007, not Police Brutality. That statistic is hardly a benchmark for brutality due to a number of factors. The number of civilians affected is number one in my book. While I don't want to downplay the crime that happened to Jude, you can't equate one case of brutality to multiple cases. Sure Milwaukee had 8 officers charged in 2007 with police misconduct but they were all that one incident.

The deputy sheriff killing 6 people in Crandon a few months ago was the bigger example of police brutality IMHO. But that would barely show up on the statistics because only one officer was involved. And of course he will never be prosecuted because he is dead. Crappy statistical analysis really gives the wrong impression.
This is what I see. Milwaukee PD ranks second in police misconduct prosecution. Miwaukee ranks 4th in police brutality. What I see is that the Milwaukee PD are just plain horrible. Punishments are abound, but this doesn't stop brutality. It just means tougher punishments. It means there needs to be a 'cleaning house" when it comes to the police.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:02 PM

428 posts, read 1,157,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
This is what I see.
I'm curious what you see and where you see it. The WTMJ article says nada about Police Brutality rankings and checking the USA Today article they mention nothing about Milwaukee being #4 in any rankings. While I do agree that cops are more brutal since the Feds gave them Carte Blanche to take on the terrorists or anyone that looks or acts like a terrorist, I see no reference to the numbers that are quoted or what their basis is.

A number 2 ranking for 2007 prosecutions I see but that is a skewed event that is not an overall trend. In my book that is a fake statistic. That number has little bearing on police brutality. If stuff like that gets used then any domestic abuse by police officers should also be listed and then you might as well as use Fiction books to base your argument on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee