Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 11:41 AM

676 posts, read 950,519 times

Advertisements

A quick search tells me there hasn't been much discussion on this in awhile. I moved away from Milwaukee some years ago now, but like to check in every now and again (it will always be my home).

What are the latest opinions? I read recently that FTA approved a new route? What about the funding? Who's stronger now, the proponents or the opponents? What do you guys think?

The Milwaukee Streetcar website is very vague and outdated, especially when it comes to the timeline/next steps portion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 03:05 PM

92 posts, read 234,025 times
The construction of the streetcar is uncertain. One day theres news on how it is going to built the, the next day there's news that there are huge hidden costs. I'm not sure if you have read this or not but here is an article on the streetcar.
St. Paul Avenue bridge rebuilt to handle future streetcar traffic - Milwaukee - Milwaukee Business Journal

There was news that they found that they would have to relocate some utilities for around $30,000,000. I can't find the article though. I feel like a lot of people are uninformed on the streetcar. A lot of people think that is just a trolley car. The news even showed an old trolley car with wheel to show what the streetcar looks like. The picture was wrong which confused a lot of people.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:14 PM

Thanks for the reply - I hadn't read that!

What's the logic behind claiming the utility companies are responsible for paying for the relocation?!

I also agree with the sole commenter on that article...even if it can't be built now (now meaning whenever this thing gets built), there should already be a full plan in place for a broader network.

IF it is going to be built, they better go big or go home!

Old 07-29-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
Thanks for the reply - I hadn't read that!

What's the logic behind claiming the utility companies are responsible for paying for the relocation?!

I also agree with the sole commenter on that article...even if it can't be built now (now meaning whenever this thing gets built), there should already be a full plan in place for a broader network.

IF it is going to be built, they better go big or go home!
From what I have heard is that they have to move power old unused power lines and have to reroute a lot of them as well. I don't understand how they could have missed that in the planning of the streetcar.

I agree that we need a full plan if we are going to build a streetcar. I feel that the streetcar needs to spread into Shorewood and go down Oakland and also go east-west on Capitol. The streetcar would definitely have some use with people in Bay View, Third Ward, Marquette and UWM students, Downtown, and the innercity. If the streetcar does get built and is successful. I could see it extending into the inner ring suburbs, especially Shorewood. It also all depends on if Barrett is still in office for the next couple of years. He supports it and knows how it could work. Too bad he says a lot of good ideas that don't get done.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromMilwaukeeInSeattle View Post
From what I have heard is that they have to move power old unused power lines and have to reroute a lot of them as well. I don't understand how they could have missed that in the planning of the streetcar.

I agree that we need a full plan if we are going to build a streetcar. I feel that the streetcar needs to spread into Shorewood and go down Oakland and also go east-west on Capitol. The streetcar would definitely have some use with people in Bay View, Third Ward, Marquette and UWM students, Downtown, and the innercity. If the streetcar does get built and is successful. I could see it extending into the inner ring suburbs, especially Shorewood. It also all depends on if Barrett is still in office for the next couple of years. He supports it and knows how it could work. Too bad he says a lot of good ideas that don't get done.

I like your idea for expansion, hopefully they do this well and don't waste the money (and thus further sour the naysayers).

Maybe along Oakland, along Fond du Lac, South 1st/KK, North, and National. It should be given its own lane of travel wherever possible (this will eliminate a lot of street parking, so it might be difficult to sell...but necessary IMO to make the streetcar a good alternative to driving).

Last edited by ARrocket; 07-30-2014 at 09:37 AM..

Old 08-30-2014, 10:53 PM

More news on the streetcar. It's quite depressing but maybe something will happen.
Milwaukee streetcar stopped in its tracks? | CBS 58 | Local News

Old 09-10-2014, 03:45 PM

Interesting article to keep in mind - I don't think zoning would be too much of an issue along most of the proposed route, but then again, I don't know anything about zoning in Milwaukee.

Don’t Forget the Zoning « The Transport Politic

Old 09-20-2014, 08:04 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,723,438 times
Seems like they'd be better off putting 150 million in reducing trip time to Chicago towards getting it down to an hour than the convention center. Anyway, related to the streetcar
Gary Grunau proposes 0.5% Milwaukee County sales tax for arena, venues, streetcar - Milwaukee Business Journal

Old 09-20-2014, 08:30 PM

711 posts, read 1,681,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Seems like they'd be better off putting 150 million in reducing trip time to Chicago towards getting it down to an hour than the convention center. Anyway, related to the streetcar
Gary Grunau proposes 0.5% Milwaukee County sales tax for arena, venues, streetcar - Milwaukee Business Journal
The feds offered 100% funding to upgrade the tracks from Madison, through Milwaukee, to Chicago. Also, they would have paid for 2 new trains to run on the line.

Governor Walker didn't think it would benefit Wisconsin by accepting the money. He also cut taxes last year and now presides over a deficit of $396 million... obviously numbers aren't his strong suit. Voters are looking for a change from the new math and cronyism he's brought along... we'll be giving someone else a chance to improve our state come November, so we'll see if Mary Burke can get the feds to kick in more money for our highways and high speed rail.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:58 AM

10,220 posts, read 16,723,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse276 View Post
The feds offered 100% funding to upgrade the tracks from Madison, through Milwaukee, to Chicago. Also, they would have paid for 2 new trains to run on the line.

Governor Walker didn't think it would benefit Wisconsin by accepting the money. He also cut taxes last year and now presides over a deficit of $396 million... obviously numbers aren't his strong suit. Voters are looking for a change from the new math and cronyism he's brought along... we'll be giving someone else a chance to improve our state come November, so we'll see if Mary Burke can get the feds to kick in more money for our highways and high speed rail.
yes I do remember that debacle from the no bid contract for tilting equipment on a straight railroad to total cancellation of the project it seemed like an unmitigated disaster. still, IMO, getting travel times down (and frequency up) on the existing route between chicago and milwaukee would do more for the city than dumping $150 million in a convention center. perhaps it could be revived with incremental expansion and improvements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee