Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 04:25 PM

11 posts, read 26,802 times

Advertisements

Holler at Craigslist. You need to check at least once a day and search by your price range to see what comes up. When i got my apartment it was posted and removed the same day (she had 10 people visit the first day of posting including me). Luckily i got it.. haha suckerssss. Just gotta be persistent because deals DO come up on CL.

You should consider the lower east side. Nice beach and tons of different rental options. Also the bar scene on North Ave is not very trendy or pretentious (IMO). I have a friend who lives in the Yankee Hill apts and she likes those. Third ward is more professional (i think) but then you are competing with DINKS and that will jack up the rental rates.

Congrats, you must have a pretty good job if you got $1,500 to spend on rent here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 05:00 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,625,341 times
The Moderne would have been a good suggestion.

New building, secure access, high up enough that it stays quiet, 24-hour fitness center, trash chute on every floor, amazing views of the city, heated indoor parking... They are renting at $1590 right now.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:15 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
I've seen huge 2br in Whitefish bay with heat included, central air conditioning and underground parking for $1150. It was a little bit out of my price range, I did not take it.... Some areas are obviously overpriced

Old 06-02-2015, 08:14 PM

283 posts, read 434,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
The Moderne would have been a good suggestion.

New building, secure access, high up enough that it stays quiet, 24-hour fitness center, trash chute on every floor, amazing views of the city, heated indoor parking... They are renting at $1590 right now.
We checked out this building when we first moved here and weren't impressed. There are much better options for that price.

(Moderne build quality was less than comparable offerings--hollow doors, cheaper appliances, etc., and it was more expensive than other 2br offerings, especially with all the new construction around the area with move-in specials.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
I've seen huge 2br in Whitefish bay with heat included, central air conditioning and underground parking for $1150. It was a little bit out of my price range, I did not take it.... Some areas are obviously overpriced
That's pretty good deal if you can stomach the winter commute downtown (if you need to be there everyday for work). One good accident on the freeway and your insurance getting jacked up will make up for that cheap rent in a heartbeat.

We've actually thought about moving each season since living in the suburbs with a 30m-1hr commute for 6mos would save quite a chunk.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:08 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamirD View Post
That's pretty good deal if you can stomach the winter commute downtown (if you need to be there everyday for work). One good accident on the freeway and your insurance getting jacked up will make up for that cheap rent in a heartbeat.
This is incredibly silly. I'm in my mid-40s and have driven countless miles. I commute 17 miles right now, Bayview to Brookfield, and I've always been a commuter (in Madison, Green Bay/Appleton, Wausau/Stevens Point, etc.). I've never once been in an accident. Drive safely and smartly an defensively and how is this even a consideration unless you're absolutely powerless with fear when it comes to driving? This would never be a consideration for me or anyone I know who drives. If you can get what you want 15 minutes from downtown, take it, it'll absolutely be worth it.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:20 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamirD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit

Commute to downtown is very good actually from WFB, fairly easy and traffic isn't heavy in North-South direction (as compared to East-West direction). And I can commute to downtown by bike in 30 minutes, in car it's more like 15. As far as winter goes,... put some good rubber on winter tires and never think again about winter, period.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:12 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Commute to downtown is very good actually from WFB, fairly easy and traffic isn't heavy in North-South direction (as compared to East-West direction). And I can commute to downtown by bike in 30 minutes, in car it's more like 15. As far as winter goes,... put some good rubber on winter tires and never think again about winter, period.
Exactly, it's way better than my commute, which itself would be considered pansy crap in a larger metro. Or even a lot of smaller ones - Milwaukee is near the top in the country in terms of short commutes/traffic, and this one in particular is a comparative breeze.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:04 AM

13 posts, read 14,312 times
Bayview (south of Milwaukee), Shorewood (north of Milwaukee) and Wauwatosa (west of Milwaukee) are hot places right now for "young" people to rent and buy houses. They're mostly college kids, young professionals just starting their careers, and young families. New Berlin is getting up there, but that's more suburban. I'm thinking you want something where you can just walk around to places. I know Wauwatosa fairly well, and Bayview a bit less than that. Check out Tosa along North Avenue, from, say, 108th to 50th Streets. Good food, lots of activity. It's super close to State Street, too, which has a lot of good energy and restaurants.

Do you run or bike? Tosa would be good for that, too. I think the big draw for people is that it's nestled very happily between downtown Milwaukee and the suburbs, like Brookfield, Elm Grove, Menomonee Falls, and New Berlin.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:46 PM

68 posts, read 117,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossyfiber12 View Post
Hi everyone,

I will be moving to Milwaukee to work at St.Luke's starting this summer and I needed some help figuring out where to live. I am a single guy in my late 20s. I would like to make some friends and hope to live in a place that has bars/gyms/restaurants around the area. I have heard that Third Ward and prospect avenue/brady st being potential areas.

Some requirements:
-I am a light sleeper, and will need my sleep time as my work hours will be rather long so waking up to drunk college students at 2AM would be a problem.
-I would also strongly prefer to have indoor parking (I am from the south and do not want to be shoveling my car out of the snow at 4AM in the morning)
-Hopefully living around people around my age with stable jobs. I am single and would like to date around
-would prefer to have view of lake and/or the city. The water just calms me down...
-I do not have pets nor do I want any.

What neighbordhoods/locations do you guys recommend? Also, do you guys know of any good realtors/agency that I can get in touch with to help me in my search?

My rent range is $1000-1500. If price ~1500, then would need to include parking and heat at the latest.
Would you consider living away for the core of the city a bit? Wauwatosa and shorewood are inner ring suburbs that have a lot of urban amenities but a quieter than the east side, downtown, 3rd ward, etc but also cost considerably less.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:52 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,483 times
Lot of crap in this thread. Let me clean it up.

$1500 is a great rental budget and will net a nice new/er 1-bedroom apartment downtown, car spot/s included, amenities, etc. For a young single guy (as I am) I would not move into the 'burbs of Milwaukee. Been there, tore my hair out in boredom.

Areas to consider:
- Third Ward. Hip, expensive.
- Beerline Neighborhood. Less expensive, booming, central location to the three main veins: Water St, to Brady St, North Ave. I own a brand new condo here, which is within your budget.
- North Ave. Even less expensive. Easily walkable, lots to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee