Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 09:27 PM

26 posts, read 51,217 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I will be moving to Milwaukee to work at St.Luke's starting this summer and I needed some help figuring out where to live. I am a single guy in my late 20s. I would like to make some friends and hope to live in a place that has bars/gyms/restaurants around the area. I have heard that Third Ward and prospect avenue/brady st being potential areas.

Some requirements:
-I am a light sleeper, and will need my sleep time as my work hours will be rather long so waking up to drunk college students at 2AM would be a problem.
-I would also strongly prefer to have indoor parking (I am from the south and do not want to be shoveling my car out of the snow at 4AM in the morning)
-Hopefully living around people around my age with stable jobs. I am single and would like to date around
-would prefer to have view of lake and/or the city. The water just calms me down...
-I do not have pets nor do I want any.

What neighbordhoods/locations do you guys recommend? Also, do you guys know of any good realtors/agency that I can get in touch with to help me in my search?

My rent range is $1000-1500. If price ~1500, then would need to include parking and heat at the latest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 09:15 AM

1,049 posts, read 2,997,286 times
Well, you're not going to get a particularly nice place for that. Rental pricing is outrageous in the entire Milwaukee area. Not a whole lot of places offer heat or utilities with rent, which can be pricey in the winter.

Areas with bars gyms and restaurants wont be hard to find, as that generally describes the area.
I don't know about anyone else, but would NOT recommend shore west for helping find a place to rent(Used them via a corporate move, and they were worthless).

The Greenfield area is pretty nice, I always get a very cultural feeling whenever I'm in the area(like lots of different ethnic restaurants, etc,). Cudahy is ok as well, and closer to the water.. but be aware of the airport right next to it. When looking for places, keep rush hour commute times in mind as well. I94/41/45 is having major construction for the next several years, but it doesn't sound like you'll be over that way. Good luck!

Old 03-16-2015, 10:27 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,483,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
Well, you're not going to get a particularly nice place for that. Rental pricing is outrageous in the entire Milwaukee area. Not a whole lot of places offer heat or utilities with rent, which can be pricey in the winter.

Areas with bars gyms and restaurants wont be hard to find, as that generally describes the area.
I don't know about anyone else, but would NOT recommend shore west for helping find a place to rent(Used them via a corporate move, and they were worthless).

The Greenfield area is pretty nice, I always get a very cultural feeling whenever I'm in the area(like lots of different ethnic restaurants, etc,). Cudahy is ok as well, and closer to the water.. but be aware of the airport right next to it. When looking for places, keep rush hour commute times in mind as well. I94/41/45 is having major construction for the next several years, but it doesn't sound like you'll be over that way. Good luck!
He can get a place for that much in Riverwest, Bayview & Brady St area. Third Ward maybe start out at that price & more. You won't find much indoor parking on the east side or Riverwest. Third Ward I'm sure the condos & apartments have underground parking, which you'll be paying extra for. Considering your age, I would definitely suggest Third Ward or Brady area. Those places will have basically everything you're looking for in terms of entertainment....you just may not get the parking you're looking for.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:51 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,225,466 times
With those requirements I would check out Brady St area, like Fragile said, although the specific location should probably be checked out on Saturday night at 1AM to see how noisy it is.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:32 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,835,148 times
Plenty of very nice 1-2 BR bungalow apartments in Wauwatosa, and yes BradyStreet/3rd Ward, for less than $1000. Compared to the coasts, Milwaukee is dirt cheap.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:09 AM

278 posts, read 430,176 times
We moved just over a year ago to the area. With $1500 you're just touching the entry level for a nice 1br that has a view. There's not many towers in the area that are nice and in that range, although you can get a view without the 'nice'.

If enjoying life and the single scene is what you're going to crave, third ward is where its at. That area reminds me of areas in Manhattan (along with the costs).

Old 04-02-2015, 02:46 PM

70 posts, read 209,401 times
I think Bayview is great, especially since you will be at St. Luke's. Rent is more affordable than 3rd Ward and it is quieter than Brady St area. I moved to Bayview in my late 20s and it is a perfect fit for me.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:04 PM

I saw a unit at Avenir right in downtown this week that was only a studio, but was <$1200 once you factored in the lease special. And this was in a NICE building. They were even throwing in 6mo free underground parking with that, so it's more like $1100/mo. I'd be surprised if it's still available, but I would jump on that in a heartbeat. You could walk to the bars, and maybe even work since it's across from Schlitz Park.

I was trying to convince my wife that this would be prefect for a downside until she reminded me of how much space I require.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:38 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,483,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamirD View Post
I saw a unit at Avenir right in downtown this week that was only a studio, but was <$1200 once you factored in the lease special. And this was in a NICE building. They were even throwing in 6mo free underground parking with that, so it's more like $1100/mo. I'd be surprised if it's still available, but I would jump on that in a heartbeat. You could walk to the bars, and maybe even work since it's across from Schlitz Park.

I was trying to convince my wife that this would be prefect for a downside until she reminded me of how much space I require.
A studio for $1200?? No way would I ever a. Live in a studio & b. Pay $1200/month for a studio. That's a ripoff.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
A studio for $1200?? No way would I ever a. Live in a studio & b. Pay $1200/month for a studio. That's a ripoff.
Not in a new building in downtown it's not. To each their own as far as where and how they want to live, but the real estate market is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee