Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 11:11 PM

31 posts, read 48,979 times

Advertisements

I just received a job offer in MKE. It is very tempting. I guess this is one of those where should I live threads ,
I have lived in the Highlands of Louisville and Oakley in Cincinnati. Looking for similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 02:53 PM

found this on another forum. I'll add my answers in bold

. Where is you current location and environment? Oakley/Hyde Park area of Cincinnati
. Are you looking for similar or a change? similar but wouldn't rule out a change

. Where will your work location be?Mequon
. Maximum commute time desired?35 minutes

. What is you budget for housing?under $1000 monthly
. Rent or buy?rent
. Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family)house, apartment, condo
. Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths)preferably 2 bedroom
. Other specifics?i have a dog

. Schools?
. Not applicable no kids
. High Ranked Public schools
. Small or large district?
. Diverse student body?
. Strong athletics?
. Consider Private schools?
. Special considerations?

. Community amenities?
. Daily needs within walking distance, shopping, restaurants, parks, etc.preferably
. Town/city community center for adults & kids
. Swimming, fitness center, running track, adult activities
. Nearby fitness centers & clubs
. Close promity to public transportation?
. Lots of parks & youth athletic leagues
. Jogging & biking trails
. Other?

Old 04-04-2015, 09:04 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,286,324 times
It sounds like you would enjoy Milwaukee's East Side/Downtown/Third Ward or perhaps the North Shore suburbs of Shorewood and Whitefish Bay. This whole fringe, extending into Mequon, has a lot of white-collar professionals, many of whom are single. The places specifically mentioned are walkable or have walkable areas with many amenities. Milwaukee's East Side/Downtown/Third Ward and Shorewood are particularly good for singles. Do a search here using these neighborhoods names and you'll get more info, but if you have questions, just ask.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:56 PM

Thanks for the reply Empidonax! I'll check the forum for some more info on those areas

Last edited by jschaeff23; 04-05-2015 at 02:16 PM..

Old 04-06-2015, 02:38 AM

319 posts, read 662,479 times
From stats Hyde park area seems similar to whitefish bay, east Glendale (east of highway)

Old 04-07-2015, 04:26 PM

Thanks, I think I would like to be closer to downtown maybe. I figure making new friends will be a numbers game and the more I am around the better odds of meeting some people. The good news is that I was just told part of their offer would be to put me in corporate housing for 2 months so I will be able to check things out better for myself. How far out, time wise, do places rent? I have been checking craigslist but can't get a solid idea about it on there. I know some areas where there is great demand do not even advertise. Just put a sign out and it is rented that day. I encountered this in Louisville. Are there any areas like this where I am better off driving around than checking ads?

Old 04-08-2015, 02:27 PM

711 posts, read 1,682,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaeff23 View Post
Thanks, I think I would like to be closer to downtown maybe. I figure making new friends will be a numbers game and the more I am around the better odds of meeting some people. The good news is that I was just told part of their offer would be to put me in corporate housing for 2 months so I will be able to check things out better for myself. How far out, time wise, do places rent? I have been checking craigslist but can't get a solid idea about it on there. I know some areas where there is great demand do not even advertise. Just put a sign out and it is rented that day. I encountered this in Louisville. Are there any areas like this where I am better off driving around than checking ads?
Usually, I see places rent out 1-2 months in advance. There are some exceptions, especially for more college oriented areas or places with less experienced landlords. I would say most apartments are on craigslist though, although driving around some neighborhoods you're interested in couldn't hurt.

Good Luck on your move!

Old 06-15-2015, 11:06 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,083,146 times
The daily commute from downtown to Mequon is going to be around 30min, depending how far off US-43 your office is. I did this for several years and it's not too bad as the bulk of traffic is flowing the opposite direction.

Going back into downtown will be a 35-40min drive, no matter where you live downtown (the east side is farther off US-43 so the shorter distance really means nothing). I'm not sure if that bothers you, but the quality of living downtown more than offsets this inconvenience if you ask me.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:21 AM

3,367 posts, read 2,851,414 times
I'd rather stay in Mequon (they have huge newer townhouses there for a very good price) and go for fun once-twice a week to downtown. But you can live along Brady street or Shorewood or anywhere in between Mequon and Brady St as well.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:57 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,083,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
I'd rather stay in Mequon (they have huge newer townhouses there for a very good price) and go for fun once-twice a week to downtown. But you can live along Brady street or Shorewood or anywhere in between Mequon and Brady St as well.
Are you talking about Mequon Trail Townhomes? If so, I lived there for a year. Most of the problems left when the previous managers were fired in 2012. Aside from the rodent/bug problem, I enjoyed my stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee