Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 08:01 AM

1,261 posts, read 950,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
It was just sooo nice to attend Irish Fest this summer, pay 20 bucks to park my car, only to return finding a window smashed in so someone could steal some spare change.
Now THAT can seriously happen anywhere. I live in a super-safe burbs now - one where the kids don't even generally lock their bikes to the bike rack at school because they know it will be there when they get back - and still for the past two summers we've had a rash of car break-ins overnight. The police department is constantly reminding us to park in our garage instead of on the drive way to avoid having change stolen, windows smashed, etc.

I'm sorry this happened to you and it does really stink to come from a fun festival to find that, but it could have happened anywhere. Again, in all of those years of living in Milwaukee, I had things stolen from my car once. Hopefully this is your one time and it will never happen again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 08:28 AM

747 posts, read 839,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Hopefully this is your one time and it will never happen again.
Oh, it will never happen again, at least in Milwaukee. And to the other guy, I had nothing in plain sight. 6 cars in a row had their windows smashed, all within 50' of the guy collecting the money. Pretty obvious he was in on it. And it was just soooo nice to be scolded by the cop who said "what the hell did you expect?"

I have no incentive to ever return.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:22 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,211 times
Quote:
I do not need to move to Canada to avoid the likelihood of a homicide, just stay out of Milwaukee and its neighbor to the south.

It was just sooo nice to attend Irish Fest this summer, pay 20 bucks to park my car, only to return finding a window smashed in so someone could steal some spare change.
America has one of the highest homicide rates compared to other countries, so it's a dangerous place. You should be packing your bags.

Sorry to hear your window got smashed, but that's not a homicide, nor is it particularly "dangerous."

Old 09-08-2016, 09:38 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Oh, it will never happen again, at least in Milwaukee. And to the other guy, I had nothing in plain sight. 6 cars in a row had their windows smashed, all within 50' of the guy collecting the money. Pretty obvious he was in on it. And it was just soooo nice to be scolded by the cop who said "what the hell did you expect?"

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the cop never said that. And what guy collecting money are you talking about? Did you buy Irish Fest tickets from a scalper? Did you park in one of the Summerfest grounds lots? Your story is just incomplete.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the cop never said that. And what guy collecting money are you talking about? Did you buy Irish Fest tickets from a scalper? Did you park in one of the Summerfest grounds lots? Your story is just incomplete.
Yeah you're right. A cop would never say that. It was a complete lie. Go figure.

I parked up the street just west of the main gate. I believe it was just east of the Italian Center. The guy I mentioned was the one collecting money for the lot. Not that any of that matters.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Yeah you're right. A cop would never say that. It was a complete lie. Go figure.

I parked up the street just west of the main gate. I believe it was just east of the Italian Center. The guy I mentioned was the one collecting money for the lot. Not that any of that matters.
Shrug, it happens. That's the joy of living in society, things happen. As for the cop, I've never had any issues with cops here. If you give them attitude, they'll give it back. I get along with cops, no problem. But hey, if that spooked you to not come here, don't. It takes a thick skin to live in a city.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:03 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,211 times
Quote:
Shrug, it happens. That's the joy of living in society, things happen. As for the cop, I've never had any issues with cops here. If you give them attitude, they'll give it back. I get along with cops, no problem. But hey, if that spooked you to not come here, don't. It takes a thick skin to live in a city.
These things do happen in places where crimes of opportunity can occur-- I bet they also happen in Two Rivers/Manitowoc around school/college campuses, lakefront parking areas, and other places where lots of cars are to be found and where there are bored kids or otherwise desperate people. Certainly not good, but not really a sign of a "dangerous" place. I've parked my car in all sorts of places in Milwaukee over the past 15 years and never had an incident; go figure that an out-of-towner would have to deal with a smashed window on one of her very few visits to the city.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:19 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:

One time I had this happen, it happened to me in Reedsburg, WI. Never in Chicago, Boston, Madison, SF, or anywhere else.

I learned to never leave things in my car, especially visibly. But this isn't the type of thing that makes a place dangerous. There is no "danger" involved.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
One time I had this happen, it happened to me in Reedsburg, WI. Never in Chicago, Boston, Madison, SF, or anywhere else.

I learned to never leave things in my car, especially visibly. But this isn't the type of thing that makes a place dangerous. There is no "danger" involved.
Exactly. Crime, especially petty crime, happens literally everywhere. If something such as this scares people into thinking a place is so very very dangerous, that's pretty pathetic. I would suggest such a sensitive person never leave the safety of their home.....although the safety of their home can always be compromised as well, no matter where you live.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Exactly. Crime, especially petty crime, happens literally everywhere. If something such as this scares people into thinking a place is so very very dangerous, that's pretty pathetic. I would suggest such a sensitive person never leave the safety of their home.....although the safety of their home can always be compromised as well, no matter where you live.
Yeah, I'm pathetic. Fact is, Milwaukee really only has one or 2 events that interest me and after what happened I won't return.

I travel around the country for my job that takes me to some pretty bad areas. I have already flown 130 legs in 2016 alone. Have worked in Oakland, Richmond, LA, Philadelphia, Newark, Dallas, Jacksonville. I know what diversions I need to take to avoid trouble. So beat up on me all you want, I'm really not that sensitive. Good grief............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee