Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 11:44 AM

3 posts, read 9,301 times

Advertisements

I've been reading all these threads about how dangerous is Milwaukee...
Seriously. Milwaukee is not dangerous for me!
I lived in Brazil for 23 years before moving to Milwaukee for college. I've been living here for 4 years now.
In Brazil, I lived in São Paulo, Campinas and Rio de Janeiro, all of them are considered very dangerous cities, Rio is the worst of all. Compared to these cities, Milwaukee is a "paradise". Really! I feel a lot safer in Milwaukee than I ever felt in Brazil. The main difference between crime in Milwaukee and Brazil is that most of the crime here is drug, gang and alcohol related, and usually between people who know each other, random crime is low. I've never felt unsafe walking around Milwaukee, even at night. In Brazil there are the drugs and gangs crime also, but the random crime rate is the real problem. It's VERY high, there are no really "safe neighborhoods", there is always some crime. Some of the worst parts of Milwaukee are much safer than most of the "nice" parts of São Paulo and Rio! I've never felt afraid to go out on the street and being robbed or get shot in Milwaukee, in São Paulo and Rio, I did, many times.
Something I like to say to my friends from Brazil is: The difference between America and Brazil is that here you will find crime, but in Brazil crime will find you.

Milwaukee is an amazing city, I love it here. It's not as dangerous as people make it to be. I've learned on this time living here that if you don't mess with the wrong people, don't get involved with drugs and don't get yourself alone in "bad neighborhoods" after dark, you'll be perfectly safe, and won't even notice that there is crime here!

Last edited by PauloFerreira; 04-26-2015 at 12:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 01:40 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,990,614 times
Thanks for your great post Paulo. I agree with you 100%.

Do you think crime will be a problem in the upcoming 2016 Olympics in Rio?

Americans have no idea how bad crime can be in parts of Latin America. It makes Milwaukee look like Norway or Iceland in comparison. I recall around ten years ago when Sao Paulo had 5,000 murders - really shocking, and to think Hondoras has the highest murder rate in the world, much worse than Sao Paulo. New York had 328 murders last year - to put it into perspective.

From the Guardian November 2012

São Paulo murder spree leaves at least 140 dead in a fortnight
Fear grips Brazil's biggest city as undeclared war between First Capital Command gang and police leads to wave of violence

You know it's bad when the killing spree hits 140.

Last edited by Allan Trafton; 04-26-2015 at 02:11 PM..

Old 04-26-2015, 04:51 PM

3 posts, read 9,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
Thanks for your great post Paulo. I agree with you 100%.

Do you think crime will be a problem in the upcoming 2016 Olympics in Rio?

Americans have no idea how bad crime can be in parts of Latin America. It makes Milwaukee look like Norway or Iceland in comparison. I recall around ten years ago when Sao Paulo had 5,000 murders - really shocking, and to think Hondoras has the highest murder rate in the world, much worse than Sao Paulo. New York had 328 murders last year - to put it into perspective.

From the Guardian November 2012

São Paulo murder spree leaves at least 140 dead in a fortnight
Fear grips Brazil's biggest city as undeclared war between First Capital Command gang and police leads to wave of violence

You know it's bad when the killing spree hits 140.
There will be crime in Rio 2016. Most of the crimes against tourists is property crime, but violent crime also happens. Sexual Assault rates are very high against female tourists.

São Paulo has an average 1.200 muders/year. This is more than New York+Los Angeles+Chicago together.

Only 4 american cities make the "50 Most Violent Cities in the World'": Baltimore, New Orleans, Detroit and St. Louis, while 42 are from Latin America!!!! 19 from Brazil!!!
Milwaukee is a resort compared to these cities on the list!

The 50 Most Violent Cities In The World - Business Insider

Last edited by PauloFerreira; 04-26-2015 at 05:02 PM..

Old 04-27-2015, 01:36 PM

223 posts, read 389,376 times
Thank you for your insight, Paulo! I often get accused of being too brutal on people who "are only concerned about their safety," but I maintain that almost everyone who thinks Milwaukee is THAT dangerous is likely sheltered and lacks any (modern) urban living experience. As someone who's actually lived in places like West Detroit and Chicago's Southside, it's incredibly annoying to have to deal with people who will accept nothing less than Leave It To Beaver perfection out of Milwaukee... especially when their own communities are far from perfect.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:50 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,487,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKEastsider View Post
Thank you for your insight, Paulo! I often get accused of being too brutal on people who "are only concerned about their safety," but I maintain that almost everyone who thinks Milwaukee is THAT dangerous is likely sheltered and lacks any (modern) urban living experience. As someone who's actually lived in places like West Detroit and Chicago's Southside, it's incredibly annoying to have to deal with people who will accept nothing less than Leave It To Beaver perfection out of Milwaukee... especially when their own communities are far from perfect.
It's usually people who have never lived here who gasp at how dangerous the ENTIRE city is. It's pretty laughable.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:23 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,616,903 times
Comparing Crime in Milwaukee to Crime in Brazil is like comparing a Lamborghini against a Jeep in an off-roaring competition.

Put Brazil up against... Well... Basically any city and city no. 2 will feel heavenly.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
It's usually people who have never lived here who gasp at how dangerous the ENTIRE city is. It's pretty laughable.
Tell me about it... I know so many people on the Eastside who moved here from outstate and tell me they have relatives who refuse to visit them because they're too scared to come to big bad Milwaukee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Comparing Crime in Milwaukee to Crime in Brazil is like comparing a Lamborghini against a Jeep in an off-roaring competition.

Put Brazil up against... Well... Basically any city and city no. 2 will feel heavenly.
The OP also pointed this out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PauloFerreira View Post
Only 4 american cities make the "50 Most Violent Cities in the World'": Baltimore, New Orleans, Detroit and St. Louis
Milwaukee's violent crime rate is well below what you could realistically expect for a city its size, and what violent crime here is fairly concentrated in handful of neighborhoods. We don't even have the same level of gang problems that cities like Chicago and Detroit have.

Being so paranoid about crime that you need a place to be Mayberry before you feel "safe" is, frankly, a little pathetic; and I think a lot of the comments at this board, and the fact that the OP felt a need to speak on it, show that mentality is pervasive enough outside of the city.

Last edited by MKEastsider; 04-30-2015 at 02:47 PM..

Old 04-30-2015, 02:23 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,728,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKEastsider View Post
Tell me about it... I know so many people on the Eastside who moved here from outstate and tell me they have relatives who refuse to visit them because they're too scared to come to big bad Milwaukee.

I had extended family get nervous for me when I moved to Chicago!

Seriously.

Sigh, what can you do?

Old 04-30-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I had extended family get nervous for me when I moved to Chicago!

Seriously.

Sigh, what can you do?
One guy (from Brookfield) told me his dad was actually excited about the new Bucks arena because he'd read a parody article that said they were adding a freeway spur that drove right into the arena from Waukesha County for fans who were too scared to park their cars in Milwaukee.

You can't make this stuff up.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:30 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,055,730 times
Well let's see the city of Milwaukee has a murder rate of 15.2 ...

www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Milwaukee-Wisconsin.html

The whole entire COUNTRY of Brazil has a murder rate of 25.2 ...

Crime in Brazil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee