U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,546 times
Default Moving to the Milwaukee area...

from Indianapolis. We are a family of 4. Kids are 3 and 5 by the time we actually make the move. We have already spoken to a Realtor and have been getting listings. I have been told that the west, south west and northern burbs are the best places to look. We are coming from an area on the north side of Indy that has the best schools and most of the homes are newer (10 years old or so). We would like to pin point several areas to narrow down our search. We are looking for newer subdivisions, great schools (public/private) and a commute of less than an hour. Thanks for any replies in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 07:22 PM

56 posts, read 137,951 times
I would definitely check out Mequon (north suburb). They have a first-rate public school system (Mequon-Thiensville School District) and are right across the county line from the highly regarded private University School of Milwaukee. There are lots of fairly new homes/developments as well as some new developments in progress, mainly in the western part of the city along Mequon Road. Luckily, even though Mequon is one of the outer suburbs, Milwaukee isn't too big a city, so a commute to downtown Milwaukee should be doable within an hour during rush hour, considerably less during the non-peak times. That is, if you're looking to commute downtown. It's a bit longer to the south end of town, but doable.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:34 PM

69 posts, read 226,909 times
Where will you be working ? Right in the city itself? That will help w/recommendations!

Old 01-22-2008, 06:32 PM

28 posts, read 139,397 times
I would say

1.Fox Point
2.Mequon
3.Whitefish Bay
4.Cedarburg
5.Bayside
6.River Hills

...in no order.

Travel times in Milw are on ave. 20-30mins.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:26 PM

56 posts, read 137,951 times
As for MKE POL's suggestion, I agree Fox Point/Bayside/River Hills are great, but I think it will be hard to find homes built within the last 10 years (although I think there is one fairly new development in River Hills). It is even harder in Whitefish Bay, as most of the homes there are older. I'm not really familiar with Cedarburg schools, but in that area (along with Grafton), you'll be able to find some new residential developments.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:28 PM

151 posts, read 486,474 times
Franklin is a great suburb as well with many newer homes and possibly more affordable than Mequon.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:15 PM

399 posts, read 1,092,653 times
You might want to check out Lake Country as well(waukesha county). It includes the towns of Delafield,Pewaukee, Hartland, Oconomowoc and several others. There are many new developments being built as well.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:59 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,660,693 times
Considering where you are coming from, if I have that correct and where you are seeking....I'd say you would be seeking parts of Mequon to the North, Brookfield and parts of its neighboring areas to the West.

Many people on here enjoy the architecture, history, walkability, etc....of the inner ring burbs, and I'd concur with their thinking. However, based on your interests and background, I'd start with the above.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:46 PM

8 posts, read 53,436 times
Just wanting to say hello. I am a former Indy resident - we lived in Fishers for many years and I had an office in the Carmel area. We relocated from Indy to Michigan in 2002 and just relocated to Wisconsin almost a year ago. We love Wisconsin! Although I live in the Madison area, my family frequents that Milwaukee area and my husband is back and forth for work. I can't offer much info on Milwaukee other than its a great city with lots to offer BUT I am sure that you have already figured that out. Best Wishes with your move!!!

Old 01-30-2008, 11:09 AM

3 posts, read 8,110 times
Default Would strongly suggest Lake Country Areas

I think you will find the most family friendly suburbs to be the Western Suburbs Lake Country area. The northshore is nice, and has good school systems, but for your price range I think you will find good schools, lots of young families and many more family activities in the western suburbs. It also has a nice proximity not only to Milwaukee, but Madison as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee