Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 07:46 AM

6 posts, read 7,665 times

Advertisements

I moved to Baltimore after living most my life in Milwaukee.

I can say Milwaukee has a tremendously higher quality of life and is a much better place to live. Not knocking Baltimore, Milwaukee is just my hometown and is awesome. The people are so much friendlier and the sense of community so much stronger. Milwaukee is a city with a strong work ethic and great values.

Based on similar home prices from Zillow:

Typical middle class neighborhood in Milwaukee: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9910...7i13312!8i6656

Typical middle class neighborhood in Baltimore:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3227...7i13312!8i6656

However, Baltimore has higher paying jobs and better wage growth. I doubled my income in 4 years in Baltimore and I do not think that would have happened if I stayed in Milwaukee. As a result, I was able to pay off two thirds of my six figure student loan debt in these 4 years. Not bad for a poor kid from the south side!

I am shocked how much Milwaukee has changed in just the past 4 years. Walker's point is different every few months when I visit. There is a ton of large and in-fill development happening. Exciting times.

Now that money isn't a problem, I'd love to enjoy life in Milwaukee!

What I miss:

1. The bars and the people in them
2. The Lake
3. The parks
4. Grid system
5. Zaffiro's
6. Bayview
5. Brady St.
6. Downtown
7. Frozen custard
8. Conejito's
9. Omega's s. 27th
10. Skyline views from the Hoan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 08:14 AM

253 posts, read 391,885 times
That is great that you were able to pay off your student debt!

What's stopping you from coming back? Can you come back and negotiate the same type of salary or switch industries?

I agree that the salary/pay levels in Milwaukee can be very discouraging at times. I too want to pay off student loan debt, but I have a long way to go.

Milwaukee has a lot of development going on, and that's a good thing.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:01 PM

300 posts, read 346,566 times
Frozen custard is big for me when I moved from Milwaukee. I miss Kopps Custard. I know they do shipping, but it is pretty pricey.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:57 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,504,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94buickcentury View Post
Frozen custard is big for me when I moved from Milwaukee. I miss Kopps Custard. I know they do shipping, but it is pretty pricey.
That's funny because I never go to Kopps. I think I've been there once in the past maybe 5 years & I didn't even get ice cream, lol.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:03 PM

3,450 posts, read 4,503,690 times
Yeah, butter burgers and custard are so ubiquitous across the state that I don't even really think about Kopps - there's better joints elsewhere. Had a burger there not long ago, though. Kinda soggy, but pretty good.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:44 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,645,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94buickcentury View Post
Yeah my gf did the shipping thing for my birthday. Expensive, but worth the money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
View detailed profiles of: