Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 07:08 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,621,613 times

Advertisements

I went once two years ago when I was visiting and I loved it! I currently live in Pennsylvania (have been seeking to move to WI since 2010) and I've never experienced such a fair. I loved the animal shows, the huge cream puffs, the live entertainment, the games and the friendly people I met. Great times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 06:47 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Great people watching
Love the fired up corn with the butter injected inside the husks

Old 08-05-2014, 09:30 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Well, I don't do the State Fair. Last time I went was in 2006 maybe? I just can't get into the crowds, the strollers, the heat, the need to one-up themselves each year with ridiculous food items. For me it's just not a fun event.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:33 PM

92 posts, read 235,848 times
State Fair is awesome! I work there for the 11 days it's open and it's great. I like seeing people I know, walking around, and the feel of it. I don't like that there are a lot of smokers, people littering, drunk people at night, and like every fair the food and drinks are overpriced. I'm not really interested in the music that the bands play, I don't like a lot of country and I can only hear the same classic rock songs over and over again.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:11 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,211 times
I've only been to two state fairs in my life, both in Wisconsin: the first back in 2009 or 2010, and the most recent this year (2014). I enjoyed them pretty well-- they seemed to have all or most of the elements of what a state fair should have, such as farm animals, fair food, rides, Wisconsin products, etc. The people-watching is fun, but my favorite part is the animals. I don't know a thing about cattle, swine, sheep, etc., but enjoy admiring the animals.

It does strike me that the animal barns and other farm-related features seem to be the least well-attended of the attractions. Though fair attendance seems to be high every year, I wonder how many of the attendees come from outside the Milwaukee area. If the fair were located in a more central part of the state, perhaps more folks from diverse parts of the state would attend, and the fair would be more like a fair and less like a festival.

Another thing that strikes me as odd is that the attendees seem to be predominantly white Caucasians, and the features seem to be pitched primarily to them. I saw a few African-Americans and some Asians around, but not in very high numbers. Aside from a couple of Mexican stands, an Asian noodle stand, and maybe a couple of other things, I didn't see much among the features that reflected the state's ethnic/cultural diversity. Maybe most fairgoers don't want that, but the fair would seem like a good opportunity to educate people about the Hmong or the role of Hispanics and blacks across the state, and so on. There's more to the state than people of German heritage.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:56 PM

36 posts, read 59,098 times
Default What's my grandfather talking about?! He said there was a fight that broke out at the Wisconsin State Fair Sunday Night?

I just got off the phone with my grandfather, and he informed me that some big fight broke out at the Wisconsin State Fair this past Sunday night at closing time. I was stunned when he told me that. I've not heard anything about any fight at this year's State Fair. He claimed he heard about it on the news.

I've been doing a bunch of Internet searches since I got off the phone with him, and I don't see anything about a fight. Anybody know what my grandfather's talking about? All I see when I look up "Wisconsin State Fair 2014 Fight" is a bunch of information on the big mob attacks that happened several years ago. There's nothing about a fight at State Fair that happened this year.

If there was a fight, I am glad I went on Friday as opposed to Sunday night. I went with my two brothers and one of my brother's girlfriend and kids. It was a real good time.

By the way, bringing up the State Fair fights seems to attract race-baiting trolls, so I tell those of you who are eating for a race war under my question, don't even think about it. You WILL be cursed out.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:18 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDad_best_show View Post
I just got off the phone with my grandfather, and he informed me that some big fight broke out at the Wisconsin State Fair this past Sunday night at closing time. I was stunned when he told me that. I've not heard anything about any fight at this year's State Fair. He claimed he heard about it on the news.

I've been doing a bunch of Internet searches since I got off the phone with him, and I don't see anything about a fight. Anybody know what my grandfather's talking about? All I see when I look up "Wisconsin State Fair 2014 Fight" is a bunch of information on the big mob attacks that happened several years ago. There's nothing about a fight at State Fair that happened this year.

If there was a fight, I am glad I went on Friday as opposed to Sunday night. I went with my two brothers and one of my brother's girlfriend and kids. It was a real good time.

By the way, bringing up the State Fair fights seems to attract race-baiting trolls, so I tell those of you who are eating for a race war under my question, don't even think about it. You WILL be cursed out.
When I saw this thread, the first thing I thought of was the violence that took place at the 2011 Wisconsin State Fair. And then I thought about one more thing. Being African-American, the first thing I thought was "I hope these weren't Black people fighting".

I would have not known about any fight if this thread had not been started.

I remember the comments from the 2011 Wisconsin State Fair. It turned into histrionics. I have never once denied that there is a high proportion of crime committed by many Blacks. I also feel like many people use this statistic to justify their own hatred of Blacks. The way I see it, some people look down on Blacks already, and stuff like the WI State Fair incident is just something they can point to as a means of justifying their own bigoted thought processes.

One strange correlation is this. 2011 WI state fair violence, and then the Brewers make the playoffs. Another fight this year, and the Brewers are on their way to the playoffs again.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:16 PM

92 posts, read 235,848 times
I work at State Fair for a summer job and didn't hear a word about a fight on Sunday. There were a lot of drunk people but no fights.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:55 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromMilwaukeeInSeattle View Post
I work at State Fair for a summer job and didn't hear a word about a fight on Sunday. There were a lot of drunk people but no fights.
Well, if that is the case, then either a fight did not happen, or no one is talking about it.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:05 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times
I think your grandfather is confused or something. There haven't been any major fights reported this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee