Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2008, 07:25 PM

5 posts, read 16,020 times

Advertisements

I noticed that most people on this forum are youngsters and that many people are rich (either own a home or are looking to buy), so perhaps no one can help me. I am a senior citizen who is also disabled and, of course, on a fixed income (Social Security Disability). I recently moved to Wisconsin due to circumstances beyond my control and am presently in a temporary living situation. I would like to move to Shorewood, or the surrounding area, and am looking for a senior apartment complex. For some reason I'm having great difficulty locating senior housing. Wisconsin apparently doesn't list senior housing like other states I've lived in and the senior web sites I've found are very inadequate as far as housing information is concerned. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd certainly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 12:04 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,298,508 times
You might want to try the Village of Shorewood directly: 414-847-2700. The Village webpage has more info:

Village of Shorewood --

The Village of Shorewood has a Senior Resource Center, and I would hope that they can help. They have a webpage on the site above, listed under "Village Departments."

Just in case their link doesn't work, their phone number is 414-847-2727. Their hours are limited, so call Mon-Thurs 10:00-2:00.

Also, if none of this works, try calling the Public Library there; someone should be able to find the info for you:

Shorewood (Wisconsin) Public Library

Their number is 414-847-2670.

Best of luck to you!

Old 01-26-2008, 12:22 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,791,715 times
I concur with the above advice. That's a good place to start. I have some friends that I will ask for you. Shorewood is a great choice. Good luck.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 4,045 times
Default Two sources

I am a senior myself . I have found two services helpful. One is a website "A Home For Mom" A corny title, but their service is excellent. You will be helped by a consultant who will find places that have what you are looking for. It is free. Another free servoce is Senior Referals. This is a small business-free to the customer-that matches seniors with senior apartments
They have 300 places listed and know a great deal about each. They are on
South 76th 4811 S 76th and can be called to make an appointment at 414-325-3400. Good Luck.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:40 PM

5 posts, read 16,020 times
Default Thank You

Thank you for your responses. I had hoped to reply sooner but my health has taken a turn for the worse and I’ve been in and out of hospital. I followed-up on all the suggestions but ran into difficulties. The Shorewood library didn’t have any information and the woman at the Village of Shorewood Senior Resource Centre only had one suggestion…a HUD apartment complex for seniors (not what I am looking for). I made an appointment with Senior Referrals in Milwaukee and drove all the way there, merely to find out that they only handle assisted living/nursing homes and luxury senior apartments. (I can’t afford the luxury apartments and they really aren’t what I’m looking for anyway. I don’t need all those fancy amenities.) I twice dismissed the website “A Place for Mom” (you’re right, that is a stupid name), first, because they seemed to handle primarily assisted living and second, when I did request info, no one contacted me. However, I am going to try them again. I also have broadened my search from just Shorewood to the entire Milwaukee area. Beggars can’t be choosers.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:33 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,298,508 times
Sorry to hear that your search hasn't panned out so far. It still seems to me that a good librarian ought to possess the skills to find the info you need, but perhaps such a good librarian is hard to find. You might try contacting city agencies and perhaps the Public Library of the city of Milwaukee, or perhaps try with a Milwaukee County office. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:34 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,540,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
Sorry to hear that your search hasn't panned out so far. It still seems to me that a good librarian ought to possess the skills to find the info you need, but perhaps such a good librarian is hard to find. You might try contacting city agencies and perhaps the Public Library of the city of Milwaukee, or perhaps try with a Milwaukee County office. I hope you find what you're looking for.
I agree, some librarians are simply unhelpful. I know there are some good choices out there for you, I just don't know how I can help. But good luck to you, I'm sure you'll find something to your liking soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee