Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 03:06 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times

Advertisements

This reads a little differently.

Kind of hard to overlook that the same car that was investigated on Friday caused a stir on Monday when it came back to the store. Especially after the police were told by an apparently uninformed dealership employee, that the plate might have been stolen, and that they did not recognize the driver of the vehicle.

Quote:
Henson apparently told police every time he goes to the store it's locked, and they don't let him in.

The owner said he knows Henson, and he's shopped there before.
Why the hell does he keep going back if it's always locked? There's another Rolex dealer in Brookfield.

And why does the owner say he knows Henson and he has shopped there before if that's not true?

It sounds more like confusion, poor communication, and coincidence, than anything else. I find it hard to believe that a Rolex dealer with 2 locations (one downtown, no less) doesn't have black customers.

Last edited by 43north87west; 10-20-2015 at 03:22 PM..

Old 10-20-2015, 03:16 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,002,695 times
John Henson is a good guy. Very friendly, helps in the community with charity and loves living in Milwaukee. I feel bad that he had to experience this. I'm sure it must be humiliating to say the least.

With this being said, people can't control their feeling of fear. I'm not sure how the staff feels concerning black people, but when someone feels unsafe they will react according. They feared getting robbed. Plain and simple. They did what they felt they needed to do. They saw a young black male and this indicated potential trouble.

Is this fair. Of course not, but in their minds they where doing what they needed to do to stay safe.

It's more of a statement of the overall mind set in our society. It's sad living in a place where we fear one another and some feel the need to carry a gun everywhere, even in a classroom. Don't blame the employees, this is the world we have created.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:14 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default A vicious cycle

Racism disgusts me, and when I lived in Milwaukee, I saw plenty of it. For decades, the city has denied equal opportunity to many of the more educated and promising black people, causing them to leave the city for opportunities elsewhere. Racism caused this. What is left over, has become an even greater problem.

It's a vicious cycle. Whites in Milwaukee deny equal opportunity to even the most educated of black people, forcing them to leave. Left in their place, are blacks who commit more crimes. This in turn causes more white flight and more discrimination by whites. Racial profiling becomes the rule, not the exception. More educated blacks leave, replaced by blacks who commit more crimes, and so forth. This city is chasing its tail.

Here's another incident which feeds into and perpetuates the cycle, contributing to the paranoia which led to the racial profiling of the black NBA player. These imbeciles fired shots into the wrong house, killing the little girl. It sickens me even more, to be honest, and is justification for the paranoia.

3 men arrested in fatal shooting of Milwaukee girl Laylah Peterson | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by LexusNexus; 10-20-2015 at 07:24 PM..

Old 10-20-2015, 08:21 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
John Henson is a good guy. Very friendly, helps in the community with charity and loves living in Milwaukee. I feel bad that he had to experience this. I'm sure it must be humiliating to say the least.

With this being said, people can't control their feeling of fear. I'm not sure how the staff feels concerning black people, but when someone feels unsafe they will react according. They feared getting robbed. Plain and simple. They did what they felt they needed to do. They saw a young black male and this indicated potential trouble.

Is this fair. Of course not, but in their minds they where doing what they needed to do to stay safe.

It's more of a statement of the overall mind set in our society. It's sad living in a place where we fear one another and some feel the need to carry a gun everywhere, even in a classroom. Don't blame the employees, this is the world we have created.
there was more to that story, read WFB police chief statement in full. The story started on Friday

Old 10-20-2015, 08:35 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
It says exactly what I said happened, because I read the article.
I don't know how you read it, it started actually on Thursday when the store reported suspicious call. It continued on Friday when someone drove exactly similar Red Chevvy Tahoe with dealer plates to the store (I assume it was Mr.Henson), then on Sunday another store (of the same chain) has been burglarised and the store owner came in person and demanded that police put extra patrol near his store. Then, the red Tahoe reappeared on Monday (happy?) and police was promptly dispatched.

So, I copied and posted here before excepts from JSOnline of an earlier Friday accident with this store. You prefer to ignore it, and insist that nothing had happened before Monday. Good luck.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:09 PM

42 posts, read 27,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Why schools where people of color are in high numbers consistently show bad test scores? Why areas where people of color are in majority have higher crime stats?
I'm guessing this is a rhetorical question. I think we both know why, think more nature than nurture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Having said that, there must be something... A store locking its doors during business hours and calling police, they wouldn't do it just because a guy was black. There are plenty of them shopping on Silver Spring Street.
There's almost always more to these "racism" stories than what's just reported. If we were to statistically speculate then it begins to make much more sense.

Looking at black crime rates we can begin to understand why store owners may feel inclined to take more precautions when dealing with specific groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Because of socioeconomics (tied to racism), it certainly isn't because of the amount of melanin in someone's skin.
Not quite. That's been debunked.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:31 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blunt Conservative View Post

Not quite. That's been debunked.

Yeah, right. I'm sure the Cato Institute debunked it.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:12 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,872,864 times
Have to laugh about people who whine about profiling..............you're leaving after a show around 11pm.head to the parking lot to get your car and four black youths in hoodies step out of the shadows......nothing to worry about here,just a few nice kids probably out for an ice cream or walking home after church.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:25 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Have to laugh about people who whine about profiling..............you're leaving after a show around 11pm.head to the parking lot to get your car and four black youths in hoodies step out of the shadows......nothing to worry about here,just a few nice kids probably out for an ice cream or walking home after church.

Would you react different if they were four black kids or four white kids in that scenario? I wouldn't. I would have an equal level on concern.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:53 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,661,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Racism disgusts me, and when I lived in Milwaukee, I saw plenty of it. For decades, the city has denied equal opportunity to many of the more educated and promising black people, causing them to leave the city for opportunities elsewhere. Racism caused this. What is left over, has become an even greater problem.

It's a vicious cycle. Whites in Milwaukee deny equal opportunity to even the most educated of black people, forcing them to leave. Left in their place, are blacks who commit more crimes. This in turn causes more white flight and more discrimination by whites. Racial profiling becomes the rule, not the exception. More educated blacks leave, replaced by blacks who commit more crimes, and so forth. This city is chasing its tail.

Here's another incident which feeds into and perpetuates the cycle, contributing to the paranoia which led to the racial profiling of the black NBA player. These imbeciles fired shots into the wrong house, killing the little girl. It sickens me even more, to be honest, and is justification for the paranoia.

3 men arrested in fatal shooting of Milwaukee girl Laylah Peterson | Daily Mail Online
Maybe the young black males should stop shooting and robbing people.

Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee