Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2015, 01:32 PM

34 posts, read 55,010 times

Advertisements

Quick back story - considering a 1 year job in MKE while my wife remains at her job in Chicago. We own our place on the north side of Chicago. Just trying to figure out the best way to make this work, minimizing time apart. We cannot move to MKE for the year. Her job could likely go down to 4 days / week, which would allow her to come to mke at least sometimes.

I guess the question is, how feasible / crazy is this? I searched the forums, seems others have entertained it.

My thought is I would look for a rental apt (maybe house share or something) south of the city a little bit, as long it was relatively cheap, and use that as my MKE base so I wouldn't have to commute every day, and then plan to head back to Chicago on the weekends or when possible. Maybe utilize the amtrak once in a while as well.

Thoughts on this appreciated!

Edit - wanted to add another thought I have, appealing to my adventurous side. Thought it would be kinda cool to find a place to park a camper / trailer near Milwaukee, and use THAT as my MKE base. Any places where I could do that safely?

Last edited by medicalguy30; 11-04-2015 at 01:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 02:16 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicalguy30 View Post
Quick back story - considering a 1 year job in MKE while my wife remains at her job in Chicago. We own our place on the north side of Chicago. Just trying to figure out the best way to make this work, minimizing time apart. We cannot move to MKE for the year. Her job could likely go down to 4 days / week, which would allow her to come to mke at least sometimes.

I guess the question is, how feasible / crazy is this? I searched the forums, seems others have entertained it.

My thought is I would look for a rental apt (maybe house share or something) south of the city a little bit, as long it was relatively cheap, and use that as my MKE base so I wouldn't have to commute every day, and then plan to head back to Chicago on the weekends or when possible. Maybe utilize the amtrak once in a while as well.

Edit - wanted to add another thought I have, appealing to my adventurous side. Thought it would be kinda cool to find a place to park a camper / trailer near Milwaukee, and use THAT as my MKE base. Any places where I could do that safely?
The house/apt-share option might work best for you, as Milwaukee is not particularly expensive. You could probably share an apartment, and wind up not paying more than 400-500/month for your portion.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:39 PM

848 posts, read 1,953,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicalguy30 View Post

It sounds like a workable plan. The only snafu that occurred to me shouldn't be as much trouble through the winter months, although weather and road conditions could make for unpleasant driving, but the Illinois to Wisconsin (and reverse) traffic on weekends during Spring and Summer are a royal pain in the neck.

We've done the same in different states with cities farther apart and it worked out fine. The time frame was also one year. Hopefully gas prices stay low.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
It sounds like a workable plan. The only snafu that occurred to me shouldn't be as much trouble through the winter months, although weather and road conditions could make for unpleasant driving, but the Illinois to Wisconsin (and reverse) traffic on weekends during Spring and Summer are a royal pain in the neck.

We've done the same in different states with cities farther apart and it worked out fine. The time frame was also one year. Hopefully gas prices stay low.
Cool thanks for the recs.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:43 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,341 times
Several of my co-workers commute to MKE from the loop. It's a bit involved at the begging, but they say it's no sweat.

Goes something like this; Start in the loop > take Train towards MKE > get in their MKE beater car > Work until end of week, staying in rental in the mean time > drive MKE car back to train > train back to the loop. While on the train they kill off emails.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Several of my co-workers commute to MKE from the loop. It's a bit involved at the begging, but they say it's no sweat.

Goes something like this; Start in the loop > take Train towards MKE > get in their MKE beater car > Work until end of week, staying in rental in the mean time > drive MKE car back to train > train back to the loop. While on the train they kill off emails.
Interesting thanks. I was thinking even the Glenview station might be reasonable as we live on the north side.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:19 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
I don't think it's crazy at all. You're better off just getting an apartment. I'd start near your work (if it's in a decent area) and move outward from there. Traffic coming from the south suburbs in the morning sucks on the 94. It's the Courthouse interchange that screws everything up. The whole thing is as good as it's ever going to get unless they move it. The 794 moves better, but it's under construction. If you work downtown, you could live just south or just north somewhere on the East Side or around there. I'm just guessing about your circumstances; I'm sure you have more specific requirements.

You could probably even go home one night during the week if you were so inclined. Even though it might seem crazy, it might be fun with a house in either city. You could pick a weekend location and enjoy it together either place. I do it between Phoenix and Milwaukee. It's a nice option to have 2 places.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I don't think it's crazy at all. You're better off just getting an apartment. I'd start near your work (if it's in a decent area) and move outward from there. Traffic coming from the south suburbs in the morning sucks on the 94. It's the Courthouse interchange that screws everything up. The whole thing is as good as it's ever going to get unless they move it. The 794 moves better, but it's under construction. If you work downtown, you could live just south or just north somewhere on the East Side or around there. I'm just guessing about your circumstances; I'm sure you have more specific requirements.

You could probably even go home one night during the week if you were so inclined. Even though it might seem crazy, it might be fun with a house in either city. You could pick a weekend location and enjoy it together either place. I do it between Phoenix and Milwaukee. It's a nice option to have 2 places.
Great thank you! Phoenix to Milwaukee... do you have a wife or s/o in one of those places? That's quite a commute!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
View detailed profiles of: