Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 06:10 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times

Advertisements

Three hour round trip commute every day? I don't understand why people want to do things like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 07:11 AM

34 posts, read 32,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Three hour round trip commute every day? I don't understand why people want to do things like that.
Not necessarily a choice. If MKE has good opportunities, then great. It is just hard to gauge from here. Other cities the size of MKE do a better job putting themselves out there.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:42 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmopolita View Post
I actually dislike the laid back attitude here in Los Angeles. And this hollywood thing just get old quickly. I am a New Yorker at heart but the thought of living in a overpriced cramped place scares me I enjoyed living in DC!!!
I will consider moving back to Los Angeles to raise a family. Nice weather but so boring...
Oh man, you're the in the minority! I have an apt in Hollywood next to Runyon and love it. I'm sure the scene will get old after a while but I am a few years away from that.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:14 AM

639 posts, read 1,071,273 times
Basically, don't do it. The train itself takes like 1 hr and 50 minutes, but most likely you'd have to connect to the train on one or both ends which would make the trip substantially longer. Like 3 hrs total. Each way.

If you want to move to Chicago it's a much better option to find a job in Chicagoland somewhere. There are plenty of options, it's a huge city. And if you want something less relaxed than the urban bustle there are plenty of living options to suit nearly anyone.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:00 PM

Thanks everyone. It was just a back up plan just in case I don't find anything I like in MKE. I will be living less than 10 min walk from the Amtrak station in MKE.
It is not unusual here in Los Angeles for people to commute 1h and half to work. Not ideal but sometimes u have no other options.
Is the amtrak station in Chicago nearby downtown businesses?

Old 11-19-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Oh man, you're the in the minority! I have an apt in Hollywood next to Runyon and love it. I'm sure the scene will get old after a while but I am a few years away from that.
Depending on your personality u will get over that quickly.
I personally like being able to enjoy a city life and connect with driven people. International events and even some major holidays go unnoticed here. I always have the feeling of living in a bubble cut off from the rest of the world. It is nice and chill for a family life and more if you can afford the driving.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:48 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,483 times
Quote:
Depending on your personality u will get over that quickly.
I personally like being able to enjoy a city life and connect with driven people. International events and even some major holidays go unnoticed here. I always have the feeling of living in a bubble cut off from the rest of the world. It is nice and chill for a family life and more if you can afford the driving.
A friend of mine who is constantly traveling has always said he prefers cities with <1MM population. Says it's just enough people to generate interesting happenings that stem from big city living, but just small enough to run into people you know and have a sense of community. Milwaukee has that feel in spades. LA being on the complete opposite end of that spectrum, I don't see the rest of my life being spent there. But. It's just one of those bucket list items for me...which I'm tackling sooner than later.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:58 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times
Maybe I've missed something, but I still don't know why you're considering moving from LA to Milwaukee--just for the cheaper housing?

Old 11-26-2015, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Maybe I've missed something, but I still don't know why you're considering moving from LA to Milwaukee--just for the cheaper housing?
I am just getting away from la for some time. I have a relative in Milwaukee I will be visiting.
I have to say I am getting a bit disappointed researching MKE online. I am impatient to see it for myself.

Last edited by Cosmopolita; 11-27-2015 at 01:13 AM..

Old 12-11-2015, 10:56 AM

3 posts, read 2,340 times
Quote:
I am just getting away from la for some time. I have a relative in Milwaukee I will be visiting.
I have to say I am getting a bit disappointed researching MKE online. I am impatient to see it for myself.
Milwaukee is extremely underrated and we do a horrible job of promoting ourselves. Even people elsewhere in Wisconsin don't appreciate Milwaukee. Once you move here and see the city for yourself you won't regret it! I'm actually moving to LA after graduation. Really only for the weather and I have family out there, but if LA doesn't work out then Milwaukee is really the only place I'd want to live. Chicago is nice, but pretty overrated and to be honest you'll have just as much fun in mke. Chicago may be way bigger and have more options for amenities but for a city of its size, Milwaukee has a ton to offer! Once you spend a summer in Milwaukee you won't want to go anywhere else. And taking a day trip to Chicago is always an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee