U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-04-2008, 08:01 AM

169 posts, read 454,080 times
Default Milwaukee vs. Orlando Florida

I have a job offer in Orlando and am apprehensive about actually living in Orlando. Does the city of Orlando offer any culture or history for a 40 year old. Any information appreciated. I have no interest in theme parks
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 09:37 AM

32 posts, read 104,512 times
YRH, you may do better posting on Orlando forum and asking about cultural venues. Not sure Orlando symphony is still in full swing. The opera has more offerings than Jacksonville, but in general FL can't compete with Milwaukee much less Chicago. Museums, botanical gardens, theatre on a much reduced scale. On the other hand, perhaps you have different cultural interests so it may be helpful to be more specific.

You'll give up the beauty of the lake and prolonged winters in exchange for nearly year-round very hot & humid and more traffic. Depending where you are in your career and life stage, it may be worth it for you, but it wouldn't be for me.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:29 AM

324 posts, read 1,006,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by classic girl View Post
You'll give up the beauty of the lake and prolonged winters in exchange for nearly year-round very hot & humid and more traffic.
i moved from MIL to Tampa for the weather and a very big lake....would do it all over again if I had too...doesnt traffic come with all citys like that though????

Old 03-07-2008, 05:52 AM

169 posts, read 454,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears View Post
i moved from MIL to Tampa for the weather and a very big lake....would do it all over again if I had too...doesnt traffic come with all citys like that though????
What is the reputation of Orlando? Besides the weather, I see you are in Tampa which is about an hour and a half away. Your near a beach and have Pro Football.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:04 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,313,194 times
I live in the Orlando area and my family is moving to East TN. Orlando has such a diverse population that it seems third world at times. Yes, you will find cultural events. Hispanic Days, Puerto Rican Days, Spanish Heritage Days, etc. There is a great museum in downtown Orlando, sidewalk cafes and a freebie bus system that will take you around the city. As far a moving here, I'm on my way out! We've been here over 30 years and the area just isn't for us anymore.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:28 PM

4 posts, read 5,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears View Post
Hi, I have a job offer that will require me to move with my family (wife 2 kids) from Milwaukee to Tampa, I've tried to research to see if it would be better for us but I get mixed answers...well mostly negative answer, most of comments (posted in this site) talk about making a BIG MISTAKE moving to Tamp/St Pete area. I'm here for a couple of days for the job interview and looked aorund some neighborhoods and I didn't like what I saw (compared to Milwaukee). I must say that I libe in a Milwuakee suburb which is not the same than the inner city (kind of bad too) but I'm really sick of the long cold winter....what's you opinion? how things worked in your case?
Marco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee