Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 10:07 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,250,689 times

Advertisements

Bondurat, oh yes I've been to Ignotz's many, many times. I've noticed that many people in Chicago do not venture out of their own areas much. That to me, is very Chicago-like, and very UN Milwaukee-like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 06:29 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,251,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Bondurat, oh yes I've been to Ignotz's many, many times. I've noticed that many people in Chicago do not venture out of their own areas much. That to me, is very Chicago-like, and very UN Milwaukee-like.
Don’t kid yourself, Master Jay. Chicagoans do frequent plenty of the local joints- not necessarily only in their own ‘hood’. One huge difference you are not keeping in mind is the often horrible *traffic* down here. For this reason I might not always have two hours to get to a restaurant. You are definitely a bit of an outlier in 1) how often you drive down, and 2) the wide variety of things you do/see

Old 09-20-2018, 05:27 AM

damba, oh I am definitely aware of the horrible traffic down there!!! Sometimes it can take me one hour to get from Bridgeport neighborhood to my hotel in Skokie... But I do appreciate the history and diversity of Chicago. People ask me all the time, "don't you have parks in Milwaukee?" when I have conversations with people in the parks down by you ... but I am impressed by the friendliness of Chicagoans... One time I was in a Dunkin Donuts on Lincoln Avenue and California, and a woman recognized me, from a conversation in River Park that we had from the PREVIOUS YEAR!!!!!... now when you need a recommendation on your Milwaukee visit, you contact me, damba!

Old 09-20-2018, 08:17 PM

MasterJay-

I appreciate your candor and good hearted nature

That said- would you mind elaborating a little on what you wrote above regarding ‘people in chicago don’t venture out of their own areas much’.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:36 AM

damba, a couple of examples come to mind. I was at Wrightwood Park and struck up a conversation with a gentleman because our kids were in the little swimming pool that they have. And he told me how he grew up in the neighborhood his whole life and was now raising his child there. But when he said he had been to Chinatown once in his whole lifetime, I marveled because my young children have been to Chinatown with me countless times and we live some 90 miles away... Another time, I was in the Croatian area of Armour Square, and an elderly woman pointed out with her finger the house she was raised in, the house she was married in, and the house she moved to when her husband passed. So she also literally never left her neighborhood... of course, these are not the only 2 examples I have but hopefully it paints a picture of my point...- have a great day, all! Inbox me if you want to chat further at email (masterjay@wi.rr.com)

Old 09-24-2018, 08:08 PM

Anecdotal.

I met plenty of people throughout WI who have never crossed the border to visit Chicago or taken a plane ride elsewhere.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:33 AM

damba, well maybe if those Wisconsinites would take the 90 minute drive once in a while, they could enjoy some excellent PIZZA (trying to stay on topic )... That said, my brother from Madison is very anti-Chicago trips, and I have met many people not willing/interested in Chicago trips. For some it's the traffic, the "long drive", or the fear of all the bad press Chicago gets on shootings. As I had mentioned, the Mama Mia's, on Greenfield, has been one of my favorite pizza places in the Milwaukee area. I can not think of a place in Chicago that might be similar to Mama Mia's (although there actually is a take out place called Mama Mia's in the Chicago area, they are not connected, to my knowledge). If anyone is familiar with Mama Mia's AND Chicago area pizza places, please let me know if there's a similar flavor, I'd like to check it out!- Take care, Master Jay from Milwaukee

Old 09-25-2018, 05:18 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
I've had Buddy's pizza in Algonquin, IL which I don't remember how it was so I guess that is how it was...unmemorable. Lou Malnati's in Lake in the Hills. It's really good but I wouldn't say it's Top 5 or anything but I really do enjoy it. I have heard Great and horrible things about Marty's Pizza, some love it some hate it. Neds Pizza, I have only ever heard good things about Neds and Marias's.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:14 PM

Lou Malnatis is good if you need a quick fix of deep dish style.

Marty’s in Delafield though(?). Not worth the trip IME. More like fast food IMO.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:28 AM

I've been to Lou Malnati's in Lincolnwood a couple of times. I would say it was ok.... Marty's, which I think s part of Brookfield, Wisconsin, is also ok. I think it's a place where you can bring kids, since they have games.... If you want a "theme" pizza place, try THE ORGAN PIPER on Highway 100 in Greenfield, Wisconsin.- Master Jay from Milwaukee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee