U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 08:31 AM

439 posts, read 333,437 times

Advertisements

Two years ago we moved from the Milwaukee area to Arizona. Since that time, there has been an explosion of new breweries and brewpubs in Milwaukee.

We will be back in the area for a week in June and I'm looking for can't-miss new beer places. We have limited time, so can't hit all of them. (We'll be hitting Oscar's for burgers and beer, and Ray and Dot's for cheap beer...but that doesn't count). Looking for places that brew their own beer.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 08:49 AM

27,730 posts, read 17,901,696 times
Black Husky Brewing recently moved from the Northwoods to Milwaukee, they're worth checking out.

I haven't found any others in my visits that are any better than mediocre: Lake Front, Brenner, Sprecher, Horny Goat, Big Head, etc are all mediocre at best.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:10 AM

1,925 posts, read 1,061,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Black Husky Brewing recently moved from the Northwoods to Milwaukee, they're worth checking out.

I haven't found any others in my visits that are any better than mediocre: Lake Front, Brenner, Sprecher, Horny Goat, Big Head, etc are all mediocre at best.
What is your criteria for "better than mediocre" status ?

Old 05-11-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
What is your criteria for "better than mediocre" status ?

Better than what I would rank, or is ranked, a 3.5-3.75 on untpped or 3.9/4.0 beer advocate, with a careful understanding that small brewhouses with few ratings are almost always overranked (at least initially when there are few reviews) due to the skewing of percentages by local reviewers giving hometown love to local places.

Or if this is simpler for you, better than mediocre would be their beer is better than the standard "decent" shelf beer of the same style, ala Sierra Nevada for a American pale ale, Lagunitas for a west coast IPA, Guinness for a stout, etc.

Last edited by timberline742; 05-11-2017 at 09:58 AM..

Old 05-11-2017, 10:45 AM

And to be more exact in references for the OP. You're not going to find an Arizona Wilderness Brewing quality place in Milwaukee. You may find SanTan quality.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:58 PM

286 posts, read 184,877 times
Third Space Brewing has fine beer, and a fine atmosphere.

Like Minds makes fine sours and Bretts

Old 05-12-2017, 06:59 AM

Like Minds from Chicago? I didn't know they opened in Milwaukee. They're fine, yeah.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:48 AM

439 posts, read 333,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
And to be more exact in references for the OP. You're not going to find an Arizona Wilderness Brewing quality place in Milwaukee. You may find SanTan quality.
I'm fine with San Tan quality. I love their Epicenter.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:30 PM

3,166 posts, read 10,466,125 times
I think that Lakefront Brewery is a really good option. I don't know if a massive beer connoisseur would love Lakefront Brewery or not. However, I am a big fan of some IPA-esque beers that the OP mentioned (Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale/Torpedo IPA; Lagunitas), and always drink good brew at Lakefront Brewery. They have Downtown MKE and suburban options for you depending on where you wish to go.

I am also a bigger Lakefront Brewery fan than it sounds like a few other of my fellow posters are. I think LB offers a good array of extremely quality brews with a good setting/ambiance.

I am not a beer connoisseur but like good beer, and I would be extremely comfortable offering both as out of town recommendations unless you already frequented either when here previously (as both are obviously not "opened in the last two years" kind of stuff).

Old 06-30-2017, 11:05 AM

6 posts, read 1,160 times
Mob Craft is ok, cool place. But they go with a far wider variety than appeals to me.
Enlightened. Really good beer. Odd small location. but i hope they pull it off.
Milwaukee Brewing is a cool tour, and on the same block as a ton of other bars.
Lakefront. Probably my least favorite. Its a big impressive spot. But you can get their beer for cheaper just about anywhere in Milwaukee. Its got a bit of a disneyland feel to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee