U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-20-2017, 12:35 PM
 
5 posts, read 2,118 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Most of my family is in WI - Madison, Milwaukee, or Menasha area.

We have a two year old who is pretty happy with grandma and grandpa on my side (other side of the family is estranged due to severe political differences we are hippy liberals, they are gun-totin' trump supporters in the south). I get along fine with my family from a distance, but don't do well on our week-long segments together (which is what we get living so far away) - part of me wonders if it will be better if we have shorter exposure in which I am able to remain adult (living in my own house, driving my own car, etc.) versus our current where we fly into town and inevitably offend someone if we get a hotel room and a car because we are "with family" and so should just stay with people instead of spending money. Part of me fears that it would just be worse being closer to everyone. Also my sister (who I am fairly close with despite the distance, though less close than when I lived nearby) is recently married and I don't think I'm far off in saying that kids (and hence cousins) are in her near future.

I'm most of the way to a job offer in Milwaukee (legal market), we won't move if we don't both have jobs but we don't think this will be much of a concern. The move is slightly better for me career wise, neutral for my husband (though less long-term opportunity for him here since he's a tech geek so the California Bay Area where we currently are is definitely better).

Cost of living would be greatly reduced. We could wipe out student loans, buy a ~$400,000 house and ~$$0,000 car (we only have one car now, hubs has his eye on a tesla), and still be in the green (even though we'd take a pay cut).

...but we would be back to the cold. And republican. And non-diverse. And no mountains (though we have missed cross-country skiing). And we have a solid friend base here that helped us weather the first two years of child care. Of course, we also pay upwards of $350/night if we want a full night away from baby...plus hotel costs and concert tickets and transit/etc.

So, internet strangers, please weigh in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2017, 01:56 AM
 
2,351 posts, read 4,325,393 times
Reputation: 2823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer2017 View Post
(we only have one car now, hubs has his eye on a tesla), and still be in the green (even though we'd take a pay cut).
There are no Tesla dealers in Wisconsin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer2017 View Post

And republican. And non-diverse.
Have you ever been to Milwaukee? Donald Trump only got 29.6% of the vote in Milwaukee County. Also the tacos at El Rey market are better and cheaper than anything you would find in San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2017, 11:33 AM
 
16 posts, read 5,899 times
Reputation: 44
It seems you letting other peoples opinions and lifestyles dictate your own happiness.
I dont know why you go to anonymous online forum and speak critically of the area you say you are thinking of moving to.
You say your family rift is because of a politics, but then make the assumption that where you are looking to move is a stronghold for those types you are keeping your distance from?
I live IN Milwaukee, I have for 3 years. From a much larger neighboring city. I have found the area to be welcoming of all types. Apparently the same cannot be said for yourself?
Admittedly i am crabby today. But stay in California, we have our quota of uninformed elitists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2017, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Downtown Los Angeles, CA
1,870 posts, read 1,110,497 times
Reputation: 2147
OP, you sound politically neurotic. Making jabs at large metropolitan areas and half of the county based on political differences embodies a mindset polar opposite to the liberal accepting persona you outwardly portray. Your views really take it a step above hypocrisy.

My advice for the time being is to stay where you are and analyze what's truly important to you. If it's living an artificially diverse lifestyle, stay where you are in CA--we have plenty of politically neurotic residents here. If it's to kill off your debt and buy some toys, move out of the insane COL...if it's to Milwaukee, that's cool. I lived in MKE until 2015 and enjoyed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2017, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee, WI
2,054 posts, read 1,285,444 times
Reputation: 2258
You aren't the first one. Being one myself, and seeing many more people running from California to WI a lot. Apparently, closeness to Hollywood doesn't replace commute times for many-many people.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer2017 View Post
Most of my family is in WI - Madison, Milwaukee, or Menasha area.

No brainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer2017 View Post
We have a two year old who is pretty happy with grandma and grandpa on my side (other side of the family is estranged due to severe political differences we are hippy liberals, they are gun-totin' trump supporters in the south). I get along fine with my family from a distance, but don't do well on our week-long segments together (which is what we get living so far away) - part of me wonders if it will be better if we have shorter exposure in which I am able to remain adult (living in my own house, driving my own car, etc.) versus our current where we fly into town and inevitably offend someone if we get a hotel room and a car because we are "with family" and so should just stay with people instead of spending money. Part of me fears that it would just be worse being closer to everyone. Also my sister (who I am fairly close with despite the distance, though less close than when I lived nearby) is recently married and I don't think I'm far off in saying that kids (and hence cousins) are in her near future.

It is greatly different if your parents live in a separate house, even if that house is across the street. Even better if it is around 10-60 minutes drive. Especially if you have young kids.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer2017 View Post
I'm most of the way to a job offer in Milwaukee (legal market), we won't move if we don't both have jobs but we don't think this will be much of a concern. The move is slightly better for me career wise, neutral for my husband (though less long-term opportunity for him here since he's a tech geek so the California Bay Area where we currently are is definitely better).

Wrong. Midwest is in serious need of tech geeks... Midwest is behind California in technologies (which is good), and does not have cut-throat competition from recent graduates (even better). Salaries are about on par with CA for a seasoned software developer (if that's what your husband is), because demand is much higher here than supply.


[Edit: That is my experience, not statistics. When my job in Milwaukee forced me to move to Los Angeles, they offered me only 10K raise over my Milwaukee salary. Then they expected me to compete with young developers fresh from the college and willing to work 12 hrs a day and socialize together after work with the boss. They laid me off 3 years later and I while I looked for a job (at both Los Angeles and WI), I got a few job interviews to jobs with potential for up to 100K and they demanded cutting edge technologies. I got a job in WI and got 90K after the first probation period, then slowly my salary grew to 100k level over 3 years. I did not need to know all the hottest technologies, but instead have plenty of opportunities to learn on the job. And no one expects me to work 10-12 hrs a day here. I get plenty of recruiters contacting me with local positions (my resume is on Dice and LinkedIn) desperate to fill a position in the 120K range and I might move into it once I upgrade my skillset to most recent technologies and get the right opportunity, or I might stay where I am and as the most technologically advanced guy, I am very well positioned for a promotion]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer2017 View Post
Cost of living would be greatly reduced. We could wipe out student loans, buy a ~$400,000 house and ~$$0,000 car (we only have one car now, hubs has his eye on a tesla), and still be in the green (even though we'd take a pay cut).

Totally... Although, a Tesla is very questionable in a cold climate. I'd look into Volt or similar cars combining plugin-electric and having gas as a backup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer2017 View Post
...but we would be back to the cold.

Have to love winter. And it ain't that cold here. Minnesota or Montana would be much colder.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer2017 View Post
And republican. And non-diverse.

WI is 50/50. Milwaukee is very diverse and pretty liberal and open-minded. Although, definitely gun-toting. But democrats and liberals might also see the light one day and understand that guns in the hands of good people is a good thing (as well as you cannot get rid of the guns in the hands of bad people with laws).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer2017 View Post
And no mountains (though we have missed cross-country skiing). And we have a solid friend base here that helped us weather the first two years of child care. Of course, we also pay upwards of $350/night if we want a full night away from baby...plus hotel costs and concert tickets and transit/etc.
Schools are way better in WI than in CA. Especially public schools. And they start at 4 yrs. And you won't need to pay $350/night for sure. Actually, you might just drop the baby at grandma's house for a sleepover or at autie's house now and then. Family is so much better in that regard than friends.

Last edited by brrabbit; 09-21-2017 at 02:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2017, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee, WI
2,054 posts, read 1,285,444 times
Reputation: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
OP, you sound politically neurotic. Making jabs at large metropolitan areas and half of the county based on political differences embodies a mindset polar opposite to the liberal accepting persona you outwardly portray. Your views really take it a step above hypocrisy.

My advice for the time being is to stay where you are and analyze what's truly important to you. If it's living an artificially diverse lifestyle, stay where you are in CA--we have plenty of politically neurotic residents here. If it's to kill off your debt and buy some toys, move out of the insane COL...if it's to Milwaukee, that's cool. I lived in MKE until 2015 and enjoyed it.


Having said that, I'd rather have adr3naline to return back


Joke of the day:
A German, an American and a Russian happened to find themselves at an uninhabited island. And they happened to catch a genie. She offered them 3 desires each. So, a German chose to go home, get good job and to meet a good Frau. An American chose to go to Los Angeles, to meet a famous actress willing to be his mistress and a million dollars. And the Russian said "unlimited food, unlimited supply of vodka, and bring those 2 nice guys back here to the island".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2017, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Downtown Los Angeles, CA
1,870 posts, read 1,110,497 times
Reputation: 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Wrong. Midwest is in serious need of tech geeks... Midwest is behind California in technologies (which is good), and does not have cut-throat competition from recent graduates (even better). Salaries are about on par with CA for a seasoned software developer (if that's what your husband is), because demand is much higher here than supply.


[Edit: That is my experience, not statistics. When my job in Milwaukee forced me to move to Los Angeles, they offered me only 10K raise over my Milwaukee salary. Then they expected me to compete with young developers fresh from the college and willing to work 12 hrs a day and socialize together after work with the boss. They laid me off 3 years later and I while I looked for a job (at both Los Angeles and WI), I got a few job interviews to jobs with potential for up to 100K and they demanded cutting edge technologies. I got a job in WI and got 90K after the first probation period, then slowly my salary grew to 100k level over 3 years. I did not need to know all the hottest technologies, but instead have plenty of opportunities to learn on the job. And no one expects me to work 10-12 hrs a day here. I get plenty of recruiters contacting me with local positions (my resume is on Dice and LinkedIn) desperate to fill a position in the 120K range and I might move into it once I upgrade my skillset to most recent technologies and get the right opportunity, or I might stay where I am and as the most technologically advanced guy, I am very well positioned for a promotion]
While I don't think I'd say the demand for techies is higher in the midwest, nor would I say the salaries are on par, that $ goes so much further in MKE. I owned a beautiful condo on the river downtown, bought brand new from the developer for $150k in 2012. I'm now living in almost the same exact sqft and the unit cost $650k + 700/mo HOA. Fortunatley I can still afford toys...but man I could be living large in MKE on ~60% of our household pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
WI is 50/50. Milwaukee is very diverse and pretty liberal and open-minded. Although, definitely gun-toting. But democrats and liberals might also see the light one day and understand that guns in the hands of good people is a good thing (as well as you cannot get rid of the guns in the hands of bad people with laws).
So spot on. Taking a step further, I'd say it's a great climate for those truly open and accepting. The range of political views provides real diversity, vs. the kind of diversity defined by skin pigment in liberal enclaves like SF & LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2017, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Wauwatosa
1 posts, read 699 times
Reputation: 10
Default If i can i will help

I am a licensed real estate agent in the state of Wisconsin and I work mainly Milwaukee. if I can be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2017, 10:09 AM
 
251 posts, read 155,144 times
Reputation: 221
I won't try to argue that Wisconsin is terribly diverse, but anyone who thinks the Bay Area is a hot spot of diversity is delusional. San Francisco is 6% black and 15% Latino. Shockingly low for a metropolitan area. I don't think there's a single large city in the US that comes close to having such a tiny black population. And housing prices throughout the Bay Area guarantee that there's almost zero economic diversity (unless you count the homeless or the people crammed 10 to an apartment). There have been numerous articles about this, about people who commute from as far as Sacramento to work in the Bay Area, and about people with professional jobs forced to rent a garage (not an apartment over a garage, but an actual garage).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demo..._San_Francisco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2017, 10:24 AM
 
Location: South Florida
4,456 posts, read 4,493,819 times
Reputation: 4389
OP it really does not sound like you want to make the move.
It doesn't matter what anyone says... if you're not going to be happy...what's the point?
Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top