Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 12:42 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,004,031 times

Advertisements

Instead of Driving while Black, how about Black people driving. My job entails me to spend most of my work hours within the north side of Milwaukee. The driving in this area is beyond atrocious, actually shocking to put it mildly. This driving is done by almost exclusively by black people. If these bad driving habits are taken to the suburbs it comes as no surprise to me why this group is pulled over in a disproportionate manner.

Last edited by Allan Trafton; 10-21-2017 at 12:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 12:56 PM

512 posts, read 474,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
Instead of Driving while Black, how about Black people driving. My job entails me to spend most of my work hours within the north side of Milwaukee. The driving in this area is beyond atrocious, actually shocking to put it mildly. This driving is done by almost exclusively by black people. If these bad driving habits are taken to the suburbs it comes as no shock to me why this group is pulled over in a disproportionate manner.
I do not drive recklessly when I get pulled over. More excuses made to conceal racism. This is partly why Milwaukee is still hyper-segregated, because white Milwaukeeans are in denial.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:09 PM

Clearly you don't spend much time driving on the north side of Milwaukee, or you are in complete denial concerning the driving problem. I would estimate that at least 15 people have been killed in the are of 35th and Capitol in the past few years. It has become very dangerous. Something that I have to worry about on a constant almost daily basis. It's no joke.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 1,728 times
Can you explain why that is?

Old 10-21-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagor123 View Post
Can you explain why that is?
I assume your directing this towards me? I'll give it my best shot. The driving on the north/northwest side collapsed about 4 years ago or so when Police Chief Flynn enacted a no pursuit policy. No longer would the police pursue a traffic violation or anything else. The result was chaos. Mostly younger driver took advantage of this by driving however they feel, whenever they felt like it. The north/northwest side became a large version of Grand Theft Auto. Anything goes. Speed 90mph at 2pm down Capital Drive - no problem we will just take off, the cops won't follow us. Run red lights at major intersections such as Teutonia and Hampton - again no problems, this is what they do in Grand Theft Auto.

This ties in with the rash of car jackings and auto theft. Have a great time, car jack an elderly person and play real life Grand Theft Auto. What could be more fun than a head on collision at 90 mph in a busy intersection and kill numerous innocent people. What a blast.

Now the public is feed up. The pressure is on the Common Counsel and the Police Chief. It's long overdue. Many deaths, injuries, loss of vehicles, and misery. It's been a terrible mess.

But don't worry. Getting pulled over for a burnt out tail light in New Berlin. Now that's something to take offense to.

I hope that answers your question.

Old 10-21-2017, 07:48 PM

676 posts, read 961,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Baloney.

Few people are buying into the idea that because they may not be black, (or Muslim or female or gay or disabled or whatever) that they are not entitled to opinions, ideas and action.
You are entitled to your opinions. My point is that it is ridiculous for you to use your opinion to downplay the real-life experience of others that are having these experiences only because they are different from you. That is extreme "baloney."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Overall - Waukesha is GENERALLY, a pretty darn nice places to live. I can see where some would think it is boring and I can see where some may prefer other places. But evilly racist?? - nonsense.
In fact, I explicitly said that it is not blatantly racist. I know the overwhelming majority of folks in Waukesha are not "racist" in the way that you (probably middle-aged or elderly white guy) understand the word. What everyone here is describing is a form of "soft racism" that you clearly do not understand conceptually. You should probably educate yourself on these matters before continuing to embarrass yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
But don't worry. Getting pulled over for a burnt out tail light in New Berlin. Now that's something to take offense to.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:14 PM

676 posts, read 961,423 times
@ccjarider my last post was a bit insulting, so I apologize.

I don't doubt that you are not "racist" in that you don't feel that other races are inferior to yours. Most people aren't like that these days, including in Waukesha County (although, Allan Trafton shows us that those people most definitely exist!).

Here are some more examples of what I'm talking about:

- Being hassled unnecessarily by the police because you match a description - the description being "black male" ...

- Being stared at when you show up to a community event wearing your Hijab

- Being confused with the *other* Asian guy in the office/school/whatever

- Being asked by the waiter "This has pork in it, is that ok...?" after you order from the menu

Are these a "big deal"? Do these prevent people of color from living fulfilling lives?

Are people acting this way because they're racist and think their race is superior? Obviously not.

You are essentially saying that minorities who face this kind of stuff should "get over it" and not let it bother them, however:

1) You're denying the fact that there are improvements to be made on "your" side, and
2) It's so easy to say "get over it" when this is something that you've literally never had to go through and never will.

So myself, and others, are simply warning the OP that when you move to a place that is not very diverse at all (like Waukesha County), you're going to get a lot of this stuff. That doesn't mean that Waukesha isn't a great place to live (if you're into suburbia) or that the OP can't have a great life there.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:19 PM

512 posts, read 474,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
@ccjarider my last post was a bit insulting, so I apologize.

I don't doubt that you are not "racist" in that you don't feel that other races are inferior to yours. Most people aren't like that these days, including in Waukesha County (although, Allan Trafton shows us that those people most definitely exist!).

Here are some more examples of what I'm talking about:

- Being hassled unnecessarily by the police because you match a description - the description being "black male" ...

- Being stared at when you show up to a community event wearing your Hijab

- Being confused with the *other* Asian guy in the office/school/whatever

- Being asked by the waiter "This has pork in it, is that ok...?" after you order from the menu

Are these a "big deal"? Do these prevent people of color from living fulfilling lives?

Are people acting this way because they're racist and think their race is superior? Obviously not.

You are essentially saying that minorities who face this kind of stuff should "get over it" and not let it bother them, however:

1) You're denying the fact that there are improvements to be made on "your" side, and
2) It's so easy to say "get over it" when this is something that you've literally never had to go through and never will.

So myself, and others, are simply warning the OP that when you move to a place that is not very diverse at all (like Waukesha County), you're going to get a lot of this stuff. That doesn't mean that Waukesha isn't a great place to live (if you're into suburbia) or that the OP can't have a great life there.
I could not have explained it better, even as a minority. Well said. I have many caucasian friends, and they at least try to understand my experiences instead of telling me to get over it. That's really all minorities ask of white people. Of course they can never know what it's like to walk in my shoes, however. In order to combat racism, we can't turn a blind eye to it.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:57 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Hi - I have 2 questions after reading this thread -

What does WOW county mean?

Apartment rent is 50% less expensive than here in Chicago, so does the low rate have to do with having a worse apartment, or is that just because everything is more expensive here in Chicago. I have seen apartments for between $599 and $999 and they look nice! The ones for $599 look just as nice, but are they low because they are no good and/or they are in a bad location and/or subsidized housing makes it less expensive?

Thanks for your help

Old 10-26-2017, 12:25 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
What does WOW county mean?
WOW stands for Waukesha-Ozaukee-Washington Counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee