U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2017, 12:04 PM

4,201 posts, read 5,704,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavenderP View Post
My husband just got a job in Brookfield. While I like what I'm seeing in the Brookfield area, the town that seems most what I'm looking for is Waukesha. I want a larger, more diverse community with a real downtown that has lots of shops (as opposed to big box stores). I'm hoping to find a place that we like within walking distance of downtown.

We haven't had a chance to visit yet (that's coming up) but I was wondering if anybody could give me a feel for what kind of town it is, politically, socially, and otherwise. Is it friendly and open to new people or more clannish? And how does it compare to other nearby towns such as Brookfield, Delafield, New Berlin and Pewaukee?

Thanks
L
I worked in Brookfield for 11 years and had moved to Wisconsin because of the Job. Year 1 - 2 was spent in Waukesha. The area was on the up-swing at the time and looked to continue so. The downtown is walkable from several neighborhoods. It's a quick commute over to Brookfield (Brookfield is practically un-walkable) Did enjoy the time living there.

We moved to Pewaukee after finding a place with a Lake view. Pewaukee's downtown is rather small but typical of Lake Country. Good schools and good access to 94 via 16.

After a few years in Pewaukee we moved to the Oconomowoc area, also in Lake Country. It's town is fairly decent and has a nice lake front area. Haven't been back in 10 years but unknown how the business district in Oconomowoc is going.

Plan on visiting several towns in Waukesha County, you might just find what you like.

We enjoyed living in each community and would move back if life dictated as such but I'm hoping to remain in Minnesota for the long haul.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 03:16 PM

242 posts, read 381,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavenderP View Post
My husband just got a job in Brookfield. While I like what I'm seeing in the Brookfield area, the town that seems most what I'm looking for is Waukesha. I want a larger, more diverse community with a real downtown that has lots of shops (as opposed to big box stores). I'm hoping to find a place that we like within walking distance of downtown.

We haven't had a chance to visit yet (that's coming up) but I was wondering if anybody could give me a feel for what kind of town it is, politically, socially, and otherwise. Is it friendly and open to new people or more clannish? And how does it compare to other nearby towns such as Brookfield, Delafield, New Berlin and Pewaukee?

Thanks
L
I grew up there, moved away in 2006, and return home to visit family and friends about twice per year. Each time I visit the area, Waukesha just seems to get worse (i.e., dirtier, more crime, etc.). Of course, this could very well be my personal lens, but it just seems so different than what I remember growing up through my late 20's. If I moved back to town and had a job in Brookfield, I'd live in Brookfield, Pewaukee, or Delafield.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:35 AM

38,727 posts, read 29,165,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
I have a job that requires frequent traveling. I've been commuting to Dane County (particularly Madison-proper, Middleton, Verona, Mt. Horeb, and Oregon) almost every week for five years. The cops in Dane County rarely acknowledge me (not once have I been pulled over for DWB - driving while black), yet I can't go a week without being pulled over when traveling to several places in Waukesha County (I commute to that county for week every other week). The people (usually white people) there are friendly, strike up conversations, smile, hold doors open for me, and don't fear me because I'm African American. In contrast, I met with stares and glares wherever I go in Waukesha and Washington counties. Considering that those are GOP-run counties, it makes perfect sense as to why the residents bring me a sense of discomfort and why I experience so much racism in those counties (I have nothing against conservatives, but it's no coincidence that I feel far more accepted in progressive/liberal Dane).

Sounds about right. But you know, being open minded and tolerant means you need to be open minded and accepting of bigotry, racism, and prejudice according to the right.

Last edited by timberline742; 10-10-2017 at 09:01 AM..

Old 10-10-2017, 12:37 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,072,395 times
Quote:
As the others on this thread have stated, it is a county full of close-minded right-wingers that are apprehensive about the presence of minorities. In retrospect, most of the burbs in Waukesha County, as well as Washington County (its neighboring county), were havens for white flight decades ago. As a POC, I can attest to the pervasiveness of racism and racial profiling in Waukesha County. For some reason, when I commute to lily white Madison and its surrounding towns for work (or anywhere in Dane County), I feel much more welcomed than I do in the WOW counties. I don't why, and I've always wondered why that has been the case for me. It's interesting considering that, demographically speaking, Dane County is nearly as white as the WOW counties.
Based on this post, looks like most of your issues are in your head.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:25 PM

484 posts, read 300,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
This post right here is exactly what I'm talking about. Whenever ethnic minorities share their experiences with racism or discrimination, we are ostracized and accused of being paranoid. This is partly why the plight of POC is bad and won't improve. Perception is reality. This isn't just me telling my tales of woes. I have experienced racial profiling in the WOW counties in my last five years of working in these counties. It is your prerogative not to accept the pervasiveness and overtness of racial tension in the WOW counties, but just know that having such an attitude can potentially prolong the inequality. And yes, I have experienced much better treatment in Dane County, which is why I plan to move there someday.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:33 PM

484 posts, read 300,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Sounds about right. But you know, being open minded and tolerant means you need to be open minded and accepting of bigotry, racism, and prejudice according to the right.
I agree. Thanks for understanding.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:

Way to prove his/her point.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:55 PM

346 posts, read 354,595 times
It's not called "Walker-sha" county without reason.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:52 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,072,395 times
Quote:
This post right here is exactly what I'm talking about. Whenever ethnic minorities share their experiences with racism or discrimination, we are ostracized and accused of being paranoid. This is partly why the plight of POC is bad and won't improve. Perception is reality. This isn't just me telling my tales of woes. I have experienced racial profiling in the WOW counties in my last five years of working in these counties. It is your prerogative not to accept the pervasiveness and overtness of racial tension in the WOW counties, but just know that having such an attitude can potentially prolong the inequality. And yes, I have experienced much better treatment in Dane County, which is why I plan to move there someday.
If you are looking for it, I am sure you can find it. Nothing you mention with the exception of being pulled over which frankly, I am dubious of (every other week!!!), indicates pervasive racism. Stares and people not holding doors are racism- come on dude. Sounds like persistent victim syndrome.

Anyway - I hope you find happiness in Dane County whenever you can get there.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
If you are looking for it, I am sure you can find it. Nothing you mention with the exception of being pulled over which frankly, I am dubious of (every other week!!!), indicates pervasive racism. Stares and people not holding doors are racism- come on dude. Sounds like persistent victim syndrome.

Anyway - I hope you find happiness in Dane County whenever you can get there.

Yeah, that's it. POC bring it on themselves.

This is Waukesha mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee