Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 04:48 PM

15,488 posts, read 15,479,027 times

Advertisements

The Milwaukee Experiment
What can one prosecutor do about the mass incarceration of African-Americans?
By Jeffrey Toobin

Like many people in the criminal-justice system, John Chisholm, the District Attorney in Milwaukee County, has been concerned for a long time about the racial imbalance in American prisons. The issue is especially salient in Wisconsin, where African-Americans constitute only six per cent of the population but thirty-seven per cent of those in state prison. According to a study from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, as of 2010 thirteen per cent of the state’s African-American men of working age were behind bars—nearly double the national average, of 6.7 per cent. The figures were especially stark for Milwaukee County, where more than half of African-American men in their thirties had served time in state prison.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...kee-experiment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 06:31 PM

8,277 posts, read 23,013,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
What can one prosecutor do about the mass incarceration of African-Americans?
Don't commit crimes, it really is that simple.

Considering on how many people we just let go with slaps on the wrist and stayed sentences and probation, these numbers should be higher. We actually need more prisons and cops and judges. Everyone has a rap sheet 5 mile's long by the time we catch someone for murder or armed robbery or car jacking. Prison is for punishment and protection for the general citizenry. Maybe if more people were victims of crimes they would understand the pain and grief it causes and wouldn't be such bleeding hearts. It is tough for people to get jobs after prison that's supposed to be a deterrent as to not commit felonies. Sorry no love lost for criminals.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:09 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,772,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Don't commit crimes, it really is that simple.

No it isn't. Not at all. If you think the incarceration rate reflects the rate of crimes that are committed, you're are insanely out of touch.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:35 AM

3,367 posts, read 2,854,711 times
Ok. Either don't do crime, or don't get caught Will that work better?

Old 04-23-2018, 11:44 AM

4,620 posts, read 3,176,745 times
I work in the Milwaukee County Jail... I like to use the formula: 99.99% of the time, if one does not have marijuana in their possession, then they can NOT be arrested/fined/charged/sentenced/etc. to "Possession of Marijuana."... That said, doesn't the formula SEEM so simple and logical?... Now, replace the "possession of marijuana" charge with any other "criminal charge."

Old 04-23-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Ok. Either don't do crime, or don't get caught Will that work better?

No, because this misses the reality as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
I work in the Milwaukee County Jail... I like to use the formula: 99.99% of the time, if one does not have marijuana in their possession, then they can NOT be arrested/fined/charged/sentenced/etc. to "Possession of Marijuana."... That said, doesn't the formula SEEM so simple and logical?... Now, replace the "possession of marijuana" charge with any other "criminal charge."
Also misses the point, and way off base for the percentages it does try to point. Also, people, especially middle class people, make the gigantic error that a conviction means there was guilt. Far from true. Incredibly far. So many people who can't make bail and were arrested (arrests without solid cause are common and police routinely lie through their teeth) plead guilty to get out. They are told they can plead guilty and get time served, or sit in county and await more court dates. OF COURSE they please guilty and get out, and now, they're in the system... The types that would say "I would never plead guilty to a crime I didn't commit" are full of bleep, and coming from a place of privilege. They can afford bail so they wouldn't face the situation. The reality is if you are poor and/or a POC you are more likely to get arrested, and more likely of being convicted, and more likely (as a percentage) of being in the system, even if no more likely to actually commit a crime.

But hey, there are people out there that actually believe incarceration rates and arrest rates actually reflect rates of criminal behavior, for some bizarre reason.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:17 PM

timberline742, SOOOOO if a person does NOT commit the crime in the first place, 99.99% of the time they will not find themselves in the back of a police car being driven down to a police district to be booked and then taken to the Courthouse where this unfair bail situation will be presented???

Old 04-23-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
timberline742, SOOOOO if a person does NOT commit the crime in the first place, 99.99% of the time they will not find themselves in the back of a police car being driven down to a police district to be booked and then taken to the Courthouse where this unfair bail situation will be presented???
False.

In addition, the actions of police are not distributed proportionally among racial and socioeconomic groups. You can be assured that the white upper middle suburban coke head will almost never find themselves in the back of that cop car.

Anyone that believes the mantra "if you don't commit a crime, you have nothing to fear" is beyond ignorant.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:40 PM

timberline742, I would identify as Hispanic (although I am not a fan of titles that lead to separation versus equality). That said, have I been stopped by police in my life in Wauwatosa and Menomonee Falls and Shorewood because I "looked like someone of interest" which was probably just a way to NOT say "we are stopping you for being Hispanic in a predominately NOT-Hispanic area"? The answer is YES... Were there times that I was completely innocent? YES, and I was released because of it... Were there times I may have involved in "other" behavior? The answer is YES, and it resulted in rightful Police intervention, when I was caught... Could I have CHOSEN to remain in a lifetime of crime? The answer is YES. But I CHOSE to remain in school, to earn a Master's Degree in Educational Psychology-Counseling,as well as a Black Belt in martial arts, where I remained until I earned a 6th Degree. I did this despite the fact that the vast majority of my friends and associates were NOT furthering their education... That said, I am now a part of the 99.99% theory I proposed earlier in the forum, that does NOT have police intervention, despite any sentiment of some possible prejudiced Law Enforcement Agents.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:48 PM

I have no idea what any of that has to do with this topic. Oh, it doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee