U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 08:58 AM

15,545 posts, read 7,384,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Best President in my lifetime
No, he’s not & you know that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 02:50 PM
sub

2,112 posts, read 903,709 times
Meh. He's not the worst or the best. All that stuff is based on pure opinion anyway.
Trump probably doesn't say anything worse on Twitter than Obama, Bush, or Clinton said behind closed doors.
Obama was famously paranoid of Sean Hannity and FoxNews, and said some pretty hideous things that largely went unreported by his starstruck media.
Then there's Clinton, I mean, seriously folks.
Tariffs will probably end up being no worse than the ACA or or the fact Clinton helped usher in our current upside-down trade delimma with China which truly did at least partially cost who knows how many jobs over the years.
Some people need the simple jobs that can pay well. The societal problems we see now are evidence of that.
Obama held his regulatory foot on the throat of businesses for 8 years, so yeah, some loosening will have immediate effects.
Trump is a bombastic blowhard, which fuels the hysteria. Hysteria that almost seems fabricated.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:07 AM

435 posts, read 126,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
You can debate the pros and cons of the promise. If one is honest, there has to be acknowledgement that he works pretty hard, knows he has limited time to actually get things done and is motivated.
The guy can't even be bothered to read much of the briefing material given to him so that he can make sound decisions for our country, so no, I don't think he works hard. *I feel like informing oneself is the bare minimum a President should be doing.

An example: Who starts trade wars with their allies at the same time they are trying to wage a legitimate one with China? Even if you think Canada, Mexico and Europe have been unfair on trade, why would you not use them to fight the real trade enemy first before you turned to them. It demonstrates an absurd lack of thought and planning. All of these countries have the same exact issues with China that we do.

Trump doesn't really seem to have a command of any of the pertinent information, nor does he seem to care too. He continually repeats information that is demonstrably false instead of seeking to correct himself. I would call that lazy.

* watching cable news does not constitute informing oneself

Old 07-18-2018, 03:28 PM

4,018 posts, read 2,842,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofor View Post
The guy can't even be bothered to read much of the briefing material given to him so that he can make sound decisions for our country, so no, I don't think he works hard. *I feel like informing oneself is the bare minimum a President should be doing.

An example: Who starts trade wars with their allies at the same time they are trying to wage a legitimate one with China? Even if you think Canada, Mexico and Europe have been unfair on trade, why would you not use them to fight the real trade enemy first before you turned to them. It demonstrates an absurd lack of thought and planning. All of these countries have the same exact issues with China that we do.

Trump doesn't really seem to have a command of any of the pertinent information, nor does he seem to care too. He continually repeats information that is demonstrably false instead of seeking to correct himself. I would call that lazy.

* watching cable news does not constitute informing oneself
He gets most of his intel from his own TWIT-terfeed!

Old 07-20-2018, 02:50 PM

470 posts, read 282,995 times
I'm still somewhat astounded that Obama won this close-minded state twice.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:52 PM

2,060 posts, read 3,009,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofor View Post
What is the "pertinent information"? Who defines the "pertinent information"?

I will not argue that the guy doesn't create unforced errors. Most of the unforced errors are at the microphone, not in actual substantial decisions though.

OR- perhaps he is street smart brilliant and purposefully sends the whackadoodle Dems and MSM over edge to blather about inconsequential sound bites, new conferences and Twitter feeds - leaving him and his Administration alone to get the work done.

Obama made plenty of microphone errors, they just were never played over and over by his sycophant friends in the media. BUT - I am glad the media and Dems are losing their minds right now - it means country is in the right track! Interesting times and fun to watch.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
BUT - I am glad the media and Dems are losing their minds right now - it means country is in the right track! Interesting times and fun to watch.
Do you republicans have a platform anymore other than inciting more political polarization? Trump hasn't done much of anything other than undo Obama's policies. I will take pleasure in watching him lose by a landslide in 2020. His approval ratings have tanked in many of the key battleground states (Wisconsin, Michigan, Florida, etc.) that helped him win the electoral vote in the first place, and the dems have flipped many republican-held seats since his presidency. He's going down, whether you want to admit it or not, and his presidency will spell trouble for the Republican Party in years to come because of "your leader".

By the way, you Republicans have been attributing Trump to our prosperous economy since the day he was elected. Are you people really that delusional? Obama's 96 months in office helped lift this country out of the Great Recession, as opposed to Trump's mere 21 months in office.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:50 PM

8,120 posts, read 20,508,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
I'm still somewhat astounded that Obama won this close-minded state twice.

How can this state be close minded having voted for a republican only twice since 1974, count them...43 years and we only voted for 2 republicans during the time. Besides Democrats are the ones to blame for trump getting elected not republicans since Dems did not get out to vote for Hillary in the same numbers that they did for Obama and moreover African Americans stayed home. If the Dems get their people to vote republicans would never win another election, so we can vote all we want but we only win when Dems stay home and some vote for our guy.

So I would like to thank all the democrats that stayed home and blue collar union workers that voted for trump we only have you to thank!

Old 07-20-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
How can this state be close minded having voted for a republican only twice since 1974, count them...43 years and we only voted for 2 republicans during the time. Besides Democrats are the ones to blame for trump getting elected not republicans since Dems did not get out to vote for Hillary in the same numbers that they did for Obama and moreover African Americans stayed home. If the Dems get their people to vote republicans would never win another election, so we can vote all we want but we only win when Dems stay home and some vote for our guy.

So I would like to thank all the democrats that stayed home and blue collar union workers that voted for trump we only have you to thank!
You're absolutely right; democrats are PARTIALLY the reason Trump won 2020 in that they decided to nominate HRC over Sanders, but the Republican Party also nominated a poor candidate, which led to people either voting 3rd party or not voting at all. Hillary was a bad fit for Wisconsin and other swing states. Yes, the statewide (and nationwide) voter turnout was dismal in 2016 and some of it was due to disdain for both candidates, but your republican politicians are to blame for intentional voter suppression. By the way, I was a registered republican from 1996 to 2012 until I educated myself and realized just how racist and corrupt the Republican Party is. Fox News is blatantly racist, it is ridiculous, especially if you scroll down to the comments section underneath their very biased articles.

It's probably hard to believe that I was an African American conservative republican once, but it's true and embarrassing. I republican I worked with was skeptical about Obama's citizenship because he hasn't shown his birth certificate. Why do people doubt his Americanism?

By the way, I still rest my case that Wisconsin is close-minded and has a lot of racial issues. Even many of the democrats (particularly the rural ones) and swing voters in this state are close-minded. Many of the rural democrats are your quintessential blue-dog union democrats with socially conservative views (outside of the Madison and Milwaukee areas). There are still MANY conservative democrats despite the Democratic Party veering far to the left in recent years, even in the resistance Trump-era. Part of the reason why most of rural Wisconsin still votes democrat is because of the strong union base, not to advance social causes. I can't go anywhere in rural Wisconsin without anyone glaring at me as if I don't belong there.

On that note: I think Walker's association with Trump is going to hurt him. A lot of republican governors and candidates are abstaining from Trump (for politiical reasons I'm sure) due to his unpopularity, but not Walker.

Also, I always appreciate your responses in spite of our differing political views. I know I come off as angry and bitter when talking about our current political climate and our state, but I do value your opinions nonetheless and appreciate any insight that you have.

Last edited by InnovativeAmerican; 07-20-2018 at 07:31 PM..

Old 07-20-2018, 10:13 PM

2,431 posts, read 4,508,986 times
Quote:
What is the "pertinent information"? BUT - I am glad the media and Dems are losing their minds right now - it means country is in the right track! Interesting times and fun to watch.
I'm enjoying it, too-- it's refreshing not to hear about Hillary's emails or Obama's birth certificate for the umpteenth time. It's been educational seeing how Trump and the GOP react to Russian meddling and other issues.

I hope the reaction of the Dems results in a nice, big, blue wave this year and in future years, so that our government will actually be aligned with the people a little bit more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee