U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 05:37 PM

172 posts, read 66,724 times

Advertisements

So, I moved to California about 20 years ago, and I love it here. (San Francisco)

But there is still a lot that I miss from Milwaukee. Here it is:

1) The pizza: Milwaukee is I think under-rated in this category. People don't think if pizza as being fancy (as they sometimes do in California), so I think many don't realize how many great options there are in Milwaukee. We have a few good places in SF - but a lot of it is doughy, bread-like crush covered with things like BBQ chicken and broccoli. Yeech!!

2) A good late night after bar gyro.

3) Speaking of late night and after bar....there's not much going on in SF. People here are often surprised to hear me speaking fondly of the night life in Milwaukee. Surely, it can't beat that of a world class city like San Francisco!! And yet, it does. First of all, in SF many restaurants close promptly at 9:00pm. Yes, you read that right. And secondly, it is much harder to find an afterbar party than in Milwaukee. Score one for Milwaukee here.

4) Diversity of lifestyle and opinion. Another surprising one. Here in SF, almost everyone is white collar and far left politically. I'm talking "indigenous peoples" far left, and intolerant of anyone else who does not share those views. Sure, you'll find many similar people in Milwaukee, but you'l also find the exact opposite, and everything in between. Diversity! Also, if you ask the guy on the barstool next to you in SF what he does for a living, you can bet it will be tech. Or maybe marketing, finance or sales. In Milwaukee, it could be any of those, but you can also add plumber, electrician, auto mechanic, musician, and scores of other occupations.

5) It does still seem a small town feel in certain neighborhoods, despite having a larger population than SF. I rarely run into friend here, but often did in Milwaukee.

6) Milwaukee has a much less transient population, likely due to the lower levels of tourism and recognition, fewer colleges, and lower cost of living. This has some interesting consequences - people put down deeper roots and have longer lasting friendships. Most people leave SF behind when they decide to get married and have kids.

Anywhoo, these are some of the things I miss about Milwaukee...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 07:10 PM

424 posts, read 176,153 times
I agree about the pizza. Milwaukee is a good pizza town.
I also miss the shuffleboard games in bars and the corner neighborhood taverns. None of those in Colorado.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I agree about the pizza. Milwaukee is a good pizza town.
I also miss the shuffleboard games in bars and the corner neighborhood taverns. None of those in Colorado.
Pizza in Milwaukee seems almost like the burrito in SF. Sort of like fast food, but everyone is really passionate about their favorites! I remember Marty's, Zaffiros, Pizza Man, Big Ebe's, Ann's in Hales Corners, Mamma Mias, Bodolinos (closed), and Calderon Club...and that's just off the top of my head.

I also love the shuffleboard wherever I can find it. I don't recall too many places in MKE. But it does remind of how nice the neighborhood bar culture is (or at least was) in Milwaukee when I lived there. Although I was more of a darts guy than a pool or shuffleboard guy, I always remember going into a bar with a friend or two, and then walking out with ten.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:54 PM

7,676 posts, read 18,902,029 times
Dapper, if you haven't been back in 20 years you wouldn't even recognize the city anymore. So much has changed in a good way, Picture a letter T, from Shorewood down to St. Francis and west out to the Zoo. These neighborhoods have seen a lot of change, the hood is still in large part still the same but areas like Silver City are even getting a facelift.

Here is a write up the Wash Post did last year, let's keep Milwaukee a secret so it doesn't become the next Austin, San Antonio, Portland, Boise.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...?noredirect=on

Old 07-07-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Dapper, if you haven't been back in 20 years you wouldn't even recognize the city anymore. So much has changed in a good way, Picture a letter T, from Shorewood down to St. Francis and west out to the Zoo. These neighborhoods have seen a lot of change, the hood is still in large part still the same but areas like Silver City are even getting a facelift.

Here is a write up the Wash Post did last year, let's keep Milwaukee a secret so it doesn't become the next Austin, San Antonio, Portland, Boise.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...?noredirect=on
Milwaukee City, I go back to Milwaukee once or twice a year but it is usually to visit my parents in the suburbs, so I don't really get to experience the "real" Milwaukee that often. Maybe once every three years. When I lived there, Prospect and Downer streets, Wauwatosa, Brady street, 3rd Ward and a few parts of Riverwest were where things were happening. I see now that Bayview is pretty active (I've been to the Transfer and Sugar Maple), and the new (to me) Milwaukee Public Market is a breath of fresh air. The development around Brewer's Hill is also really nice. I just wish they would continue to improve the so-called Riverwalk area around the Riverside. I think there is a lot of potential there.

Although, perhaps one more thing I should have mentioned I miss about Milwaukee is that it's not overly fancy and "hipster" yet. You alluded to this with your comment about hoping it doesn't become "the next Austin, San Antonio, Portland, Boise" or similar. I find that whenever a new business opens in San Francisco, it is a super "nice" and trendy place with boutique cocktails and so on and so forth. I'm sort of a foodie myself, but it is starting to get a bit one dimensional. It is nice to have some greasy spoons, real dive bars (not the phony cultivated ones), and fast foodish cheap eats and holes-in-the-wall mixed in.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:19 PM

424 posts, read 176,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
Pizza in Milwaukee seems almost like the burrito in SF. Sort of like fast food, but everyone is really passionate about their favorites! I remember Marty's, Zaffiros, Pizza Man, Big Ebe's, Ann's in Hales Corners, Mamma Mias, Bodolinos (closed), and Calderon Club...and that's just off the top of my head.

I also love the shuffleboard wherever I can find it. I don't recall too many places in MKE. But it does remind of how nice the neighborhood bar culture is (or at least was) in Milwaukee when I lived there. Although I was more of a darts guy than a pool or shuffleboard guy, I always remember going into a bar with a friend or two, and then walking out with ten.
For pizza Alioto’s, Lisa’s. My favorite bar burned down, Century Hall. Anybody remember when Morry’s on Prospect had three levels of bars and the top one was the “dance” bar? Joe Cats, the Up and Under, Fried Eggs and Tootsies, JJD’s on Downer, Judges and of course the king of the dive bars: Wolski’s. So many fun east side bars.

Old 07-11-2018, 04:01 AM

60 posts, read 30,453 times
Quote:
So, I moved to California about 20 years ago, and I love it here. (San Francisco)

But there is still a lot that I miss from Milwaukee. Here it is:

1) The pizza: Milwaukee is I think under-rated in this category. People don't think if pizza as being fancy (as they sometimes do in California), so I think many don't realize how many great options there are in Milwaukee. We have a few good places in SF - but a lot of it is doughy, bread-like crush covered with things like BBQ chicken and broccoli. Yeech!!

2) A good late night after bar gyro.

3) Speaking of late night and after bar....there's not much going on in SF. People here are often surprised to hear me speaking fondly of the night life in Milwaukee. Surely, it can't beat that of a world class city like San Francisco!! And yet, it does. First of all, in SF many restaurants close promptly at 9:00pm. Yes, you read that right. And secondly, it is much harder to find an afterbar party than in Milwaukee. Score one for Milwaukee here.

4) Diversity of lifestyle and opinion. Another surprising one. Here in SF, almost everyone is white collar and far left politically. I'm talking "indigenous peoples" far left, and intolerant of anyone else who does not share those views. Sure, you'll find many similar people in Milwaukee, but you'l also find the exact opposite, and everything in between. Diversity! Also, if you ask the guy on the barstool next to you in SF what he does for a living, you can bet it will be tech. Or maybe marketing, finance or sales. In Milwaukee, it could be any of those, but you can also add plumber, electrician, auto mechanic, musician, and scores of other occupations.

5) It does still seem a small town feel in certain neighborhoods, despite having a larger population than SF. I rarely run into friend here, but often did in Milwaukee.

6) Milwaukee has a much less transient population, likely due to the lower levels of tourism and recognition, fewer colleges, and lower cost of living. This has some interesting consequences - people put down deeper roots and have longer lasting friendships. Most people leave SF behind when they decide to get married and have kids.

Anywhoo, these are some of the things I miss about Milwaukee...
you are just feeling a little homesick...spend some time back in MKE this summer (if you were to leave SFO you would feel the same nostalgia alas...)

Old 07-11-2018, 04:05 AM

60 posts, read 30,453 times
Quote:
Milwaukee City, I go back to Milwaukee once or twice a year but it is usually to visit my parents in the suburbs, so I don't really get to experience the "real" Milwaukee that often. Maybe once every three years. When I lived there, Prospect and Downer streets, Wauwatosa, Brady street, 3rd Ward and a few parts of Riverwest were where things were happening. I see now that Bayview is pretty active (I've been to the Transfer and Sugar Maple), and the new (to me) Milwaukee Public Market is a breath of fresh air. The development around Brewer's Hill is also really nice. I just wish they would continue to improve the so-called Riverwalk area around the Riverside. I think there is a lot of potential there.

Although, perhaps one more thing I should have mentioned I miss about Milwaukee is that it's not overly fancy and "hipster" yet. You alluded to this with your comment about hoping it doesn't become "the next Austin, San Antonio, Portland, Boise" or similar. I find that whenever a new business opens in San Francisco, it is a super "nice" and trendy place with boutique cocktails and so on and so forth. I'm sort of a foodie myself, but it is starting to get a bit one dimensional. It is nice to have some greasy spoons, real dive bars (not the phony cultivated ones), and fast foodish cheap eats and holes-in-the-wall mixed in.
MKE is a hipster city, no different than Portland, Boise and others (NOT Austin!) You were there 20+ years ago those places didn't exist now everything is corporatized. But at its core MKE is a hipster feel (which is why you like it)

Old 07-11-2018, 10:32 AM

3,134 posts, read 1,953,529 times
Vouge is onto us...

https://www.vogue.com/article/travel...t-coolest-city

Old 07-11-2018, 02:41 PM

229 posts, read 225,557 times
Interesting, and very surprising that Milwaukee is in Vogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or