U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 06:20 PM

254 posts, read 108,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
> I am kind of worried about the winter coming from a tropical environment, but I'll worry about that later.

a) Eat fat food. Good calories intake helps your body be warm.
Don't be ridiculous. Where on Earth is he supposed to find fat food in Wisconsin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 11:05 PM

45 posts, read 76,640 times
Yea I guess trying to do the air rifle thing and be urban at the same time is unrealistic, so I'll just worry about the air rifle thing later. Hoping to find an area that is good for running and biking with younger people. I can deal with a commute, I'm used to 30 minute commutes. If it's averaging above 45 minutes though that would probably get old. What is it like driving in the winter? I have driven in snow before, but only in rural areas. Not sure what it's like to commute during a snowstorm or something. Thanks for all the replies!

Old 07-19-2018, 07:43 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,615,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by das8929 View Post
Yea I guess trying to do the air rifle thing and be urban at the same time is unrealistic, so I'll just worry about the air rifle thing later. Hoping to find an area that is good for running and biking with younger people. I can deal with a commute, I'm used to 30 minute commutes. If it's averaging above 45 minutes though that would probably get old. What is it like driving in the winter? I have driven in snow before, but only in rural areas. Not sure what it's like to commute during a snowstorm or something. Thanks for all the replies!
It's a day or two in the year when it is actively snowing when commute is actually dangerous. After snow is stopped and roads are salted and cleared, it's business as usual. If you have to drive through actually bad times, drive slow. What I said is true for Milwaukee/Madison areas, it's different upnorth and on little residential streets.

You'll find places to hike/bike anywhere in Wisconsin I think. It's younger people that is not so easy to find From what you say, your best bet would be Downtown Milwaukee (East Side, Brady St, Walkers Point, North Shore, etc). But your commute to Waukesha would be really bad (always in heavy traffic during commute hours, 30 minutes without any traffic or obstacles)... I think you might want to look into areas in between Waukesha and either Milwaukee or Madison. Brookfield came to mind, Oconomowoc, Delafield, Wauwatosa, Greenfield, New Berlin, Elm Grove, etc. (As I said earlier - West Allis does not have hipster appeal, but it's a good affordable city), or Waukesha itself is not bad really.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:55 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,171,344 times
Quote:
It's a day or two in the year when it is actively snowing when commute is actually dangerous. After snow is stopped and roads are salted and cleared, it's business as usual. If you have to drive through actually bad times, drive slow. What I said is true for Milwaukee/Madison areas, it's different upnorth and on little residential streets.

You'll find places to hike/bike anywhere in Wisconsin I think. It's younger people that is not so easy to find From what you say, your best bet would be Downtown Milwaukee (East Side, Brady St, Walkers Point, North Shore, etc). But your commute to Waukesha would be really bad (always in heavy traffic during commute hours, 30 minutes without any traffic or obstacles)... I think you might want to look into areas in between Waukesha and either Milwaukee or Madison. Brookfield came to mind, Oconomowoc, Delafield, Wauwatosa, Greenfield, New Berlin, Elm Grove, etc. (As I said earlier - West Allis does not have hipster appeal, but it's a good affordable city), or Waukesha itself is not bad really.

Yeah, it is.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:10 PM

7,835 posts, read 19,570,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, it is.

Some posters cannot help but to see everything through the politics lens.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Some posters cannot help but to see everything through the politics lens.

It is true, I see through lenses that see values, priorities, morals and other things that affect quality of life and overall happiness. In other words, politics.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:04 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,615,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, it is.

In which way? And how bad? Do them Waukeshans shoot gay people on the spot, or just force to move out?

I mean, I know a few places in Milwaukee where I would feel unsafe if walking the neighborhood alone. Even there... wherever I've been, Teutonia Ave, South or West Milwaukee... I did not have any real issues. I am friendly, confident and smiling 6'3" and 200lb+ gun-carrying white male with an obvious Eastern European accent, but nonetheless...

In my books, a bad neighborhood is dirty, with broken windows and properties out of repair for centuries, with young males in their 20s hanging outside in wolf-packs having nothing to do but drinking. I think you get the picture. I don't think Waukesha fits the bill of "real bad" place - at least from what I saw there.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:53 AM

4,235 posts, read 2,508,551 times
Quote:
In which way? And how bad? Do them Waukeshans shoot gay people on the spot, or just force to move out?

I mean, I know a few places in Milwaukee where I would feel unsafe if walking the neighborhood alone. Even there... wherever I've been, Teutonia Ave, South or West Milwaukee... I did not have any real issues. I am friendly, confident and smiling 6'3" and 200lb+ gun-carrying white male with an obvious Eastern European accent, but nonetheless...

In my books, a bad neighborhood is dirty, with broken windows and properties out of repair for centuries, with young males in their 20s hanging outside in wolf-packs having nothing to do but drinking. I think you get the picture. I don't think Waukesha fits the bill of "real bad" place - at least from what I saw there.
So not many places in America? Certainly none outside the original colonies except maybe New Orleans.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:33 PM
sub

788 posts, read 408,676 times
Quote:

It's fine.
Some people are blinded by politics, or more accurately, political beliefs, as if that's all there is to consider in life. We've been getting ever closer to implementing the Thought Police in the last.....10 years or so.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:

Wow, you need a gun to feel safe? Poor thing. I'd hate to live life so scared that I would think I needed a gun to feel safe.

I'm sure Waukesha is great for a person like you, probably a conservative white male. But for POC and LGBTQ individuals, it is far from welcoming, and actually, really really bad for POC. LE there are notorious for their profiling. Unless it's drastically changed since I lived in Wisconsin and worked with disenfranchised communities in the area, it would absolutely 1000% not be a place I'd recommend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or