U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 06:32 AM

33 posts, read 64,205 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to Milwaukee . Is West Allis a nice and safe area. We are in our late 50’s . Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 09:59 AM

3,330 posts, read 2,498,153 times
It probably isn't that nice. Too many manufacturing, older buildings, the town is mostly blue collar and jeans (although there's is MATC campus there, but MATC is not UWM and attracts many people from poorer families.

At the same time, it's perfectly safe town. Or in my 1 year of living there, I never had any issues there and I was often (on weekends mostly ) partying till 2AM and then taking a walk home.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:34 PM

830 posts, read 419,837 times
Ah, West Allis. I was born there. It is neither nice nor not nice.

It is safe, but a bit boring. People drink Budweiser there, and there are not many hipster cafes or fancy restaurants. I sort of find the lack of those things refreshing at times, since I currently live in San Francisco and am sometimes overwhelmed to hear about the "100% sustainably farmed Niman Ranch burger with artisanal aged gruyere and a balsamic reduction" when I try to order a burger.

I could definitely see living in West Allis again. It is affordable, the people are nice, and you will find hidden gems if you look. If you're in the mood for something fancier, the neighborhood of Wauwatosa is a short ten minute drive away.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:01 PM

513 posts, read 414,362 times
No, and I am generally not a fan of most Milwaukee suburbs. It is an urban working-class, blue-collar suburb that is very bland.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:23 PM
sub

4,627 posts, read 2,751,038 times
I always kinda liked it. It's more my style I guess. The older parts mostly.
Some pretty neat old houses there.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:40 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,008,819 times
Overall, West Allis is no great shakes, but some sections are more desirable than others. The city is primarily midscale/downscale, a legacy of its days as a blue-collar company town for Allis-Chalmers. The areas west of Highway 100 are generally pretty nice, especially in the Greenfield Park vicinity. The east side is more urban, but the neighborhoods adjacent to the Kinnickinnic Parkway and McCarty Park are very pleasant and have a suburban feel. The city is known for its working class legacy, beer bars, motorcycle aficionados, and such, but a wide range of people live there. There is a decent, walkable downtown, and (as Sub says) there are some nice old houses. The State Fairgrounds, the area's best farmer's market (West Allis Farmer's Market), and part of the Highway 100 retail corridor (running north-south) are all within city limits. In spite of (or because of?) the blue collar vibe, there are some interesting businesses, including a couple of Greek markets, an authentic Chinese restaurant or two, a decent Wisconsin cheese shop, and a couple of Indian restaurants. West Allis isn't known for upscale or trendy lifestyles, but a few upmarket restaurants and other businesses have opened up there recently, such as The Farmer's Wife and Corvina Wine Company. In spite of these innovations, West Allis will have a hard time moving away from its stereotyped, downscale reputation as "Westallica"--where the men sport mullets, and where the women have big hair....

Old 07-24-2018, 09:08 PM

8,236 posts, read 22,023,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
No, and I am generally not a fan of most Milwaukee suburbs. It is an urban working-class, blue-collar suburb that is very bland.
WA I don't think can ever be described as very bland, it has for better or for worse has character. If it's street lights weren't red and their street signs blue you'd never know you were in Stallis.

Examples of Bland suburbs would be New Berlin, Muskego and some would even say Mequon but I'd argue with you

West Allis cannot much be described as a factory town since it only has 1 factory left, Unit Drop Forge. Although blue collar town in a way that's not a fancy town, you won't see people carry lunch pales to work but rather blue jeans and t-shirt and even some "Jorts".

People like to crack on Cudahy and Stallis even though both towns are a far cry from what they were in the 80's. West Allis is revitalizing it's town and in no way can it be labeled a bad town to live in. Western Stallis doesn't resemble in any way to it' east side of 60th Street.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:08 AM

513 posts, read 414,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
WA I don't think can ever be described as very bland, it has for better or for worse has character. If it's street lights weren't red and their street signs blue you'd never know you were in Stallis.

Examples of Bland suburbs would be New Berlin, Muskego and some would even say Mequon but I'd argue with you

West Allis cannot much be described as a factory town since it only has 1 factory left, Unit Drop Forge. Although blue collar town in a way that's not a fancy town, you won't see people carry lunch pales to work but rather blue jeans and t-shirt and even some "Jorts".

People like to crack on Cudahy and Stallis even though both towns are a far cry from what they were in the 80's. West Allis is revitalizing it's town and in no way can it be labeled a bad town to live in. Western Stallis doesn't resemble in any way to it' east side of 60th Street.
I don't think Mequon is bland in the slightest, so I wouldn't beg to differ on that one. I used to live there, but I suppose you're right about West Allis. I've only passed West Allis on I-94 and haven't actually ventured through the city in years, so what do I know ?

Last edited by InnovativeAmerican; 07-26-2018 at 02:19 AM..

Old 07-26-2018, 07:22 PM

4,011 posts, read 3,736,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
I don't think Mequon is bland in the slightest, so I wouldn't beg to differ on that one. I used to live there, but I suppose you're right about West Allis. I've only passed West Allis on I-94 and haven't actually ventured through the city in years, so what do I know ?
Given the location in his profile, that was most certainly in jest

Old 05-27-2019, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 4,183 times
One of the things West Allis isn't is bland. I am a white collar worker and believe me any type of person can live in any neighborhood. There's always some kind of action going on and that's why I stay here. By action I mean the desire to improve things and doing it, some characters walking the streets that I find amusing, and I love the old homes. I don't like to categorize people for the area they live in. A lot of people seem to think that you have to be poor to live here. I am neither filthy rich nor destitute, and I could live in a lot of different places and I have. I choose to be here. Why pay 200,000 for the same home in Wauwatosa or New Berlin when I can buy the same thing for a 130,000 in West Allis? It gives me a lot more expendable income without going into debt. I don't feel the need to use a neighborhood to portray who I am. If you come to West Allis and see some of the vehicles (Mercedes, BMW's Lexus's)my neighbors drive it's because a lot of them choose to live "comfortably' and take a vacation or buy a new car for cash. I think a lot of us in West Allis are smart to live where we do. I get downtown often. West Allis is centerally located. Want a latte you can go to Speedway or Starbucks the same as in Tosa or Brookfield. You want some cosmopolitan activity you drive 10 minutes to downtown. Let's not forget the parking conundrum downtown or the traffic mess during the festivals. There are parking lots here and you can park free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee