U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-31-2008, 12:45 PM

14 posts, read 48,482 times
Default St. Josephs Hospital Area

My husband just got a job at St. Josephs and I am just wondering about the area. Is is a safe area? Would it be a good place to live? If not, where should we look? We are a family of four - my husband and I and 2 small boys. We want to be able to play outside and go for walks and such without worrying about our safety.

Thanks for the help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 01:37 PM

3,058 posts, read 7,771,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim-e-lou View Post
My husband just got a job at St. Josephs and I am just wondering about the area. Is is a safe area? Would it be a good place to live? If not, where should we look? We are a family of four - my husband and I and 2 small boys. We want to be able to play outside and go for walks and such without worrying about our safety.

Thanks for the help!
There are a lot of mediocre-to-very bad areas right around St. Joes; very big, prominent hospital in the city of Milwaukee, but many of the areas around it are not the greatest at all.

You haven't noted what your housing budget is, if you prefer city v. suburbs, etc., so it is somewhat hard to address fully your question, but while strongly advising you to stay away from most of the areas directly around St. Joes, I could say these would be worth checking out:

-Washington Heights neighborhood

*Very large, big, safe, area in Milwaukee that would be very close drive-wise to St. Joes. A very nice, urban, city neighborhood that is great for families. Homes with history and character. The boundaries are 60th St. on the west, North Ave. on the north, 47th St. and Washington Park on the east, and Vliet St. on the south. It also includes the few blocks across Vliet, immediately south of the area.

Somewhat pricey, but there are certainly middle-class home prices able to be found too.

Here are sites: Welcome to the Washington Heights Neighborhood Assoc.

Welcome to WashingtonHeights.com (http://www.wis.net/www.washingtonheights.com/ - broken link)

OnMilwaukee.com Visitors Guide: Washington Heights shines as premier Milwaukee neighborhood

-Washington Highlands neighborhood

*A pricier, more upscale and affluent "border neighbor" found in the neighboring suburb Wauwatosa to the Washington Heights neighborhood in Milwaukee.

Again, would be very close to St. Joes. Again also, very safe, nice immediate area. Just pricier overall than the Heights.

-Lenox Heights neighborhood

*This would be if money were a tight issue for you and you were needing fairly affordable housing (houses less than $160K). This is a fairly nice, middle class pocketed neighborhood near the Washington Heights, but much, much less "shnazy" than the W. Heights.

Overall it is safe. If you can afford a bit more in a house (say $180K to $300K) and wanted to stay in an urban environment, then I would shift you surely more towards the Washington Heights or the Highlands, however, if dollars are very tight, for a city of Milwaukee northside location somewhat near St. Joes, the Lenox Heights area is overall okay.

Here are some sites:

Home (broken link)

JS Online: Commercial streets aren't a drag (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=229373 - broken link)

*Otherwise, if you are looking for a slightly less urban, more suburban environment (in areas very safe and great for families), other considerations could be:

-Wauwatosa
(Most of Tosa is very middle class to middle upper class, safe, very nice, and wouldn't be more than a 10 or 15 minute drive at the most to St. Joes; still a bit of an "urban"-type suburb, if that makes sense. Very nice)

-Other "inner ring" Milwaukee suburbs that wouldn't be a bad drive to St. Joes (ranging from 10 to 30 minutes) that I would suggest would be:

*Greendale
*Hales Corners
*Menomonee Falls
*Brookfield
*Franklin
--All are very nice, very safe, and very family oriented.

Good luck! You'll certainly have options.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:52 PM

14 posts, read 48,482 times
Thanks for the great info. Our price range would probably be upper 100s to lower 200s. We now live in Reno, NV, but come from a very small community so are open to just about anything.

Thanks Again!

Old 03-31-2008, 06:01 PM

395 posts, read 1,169,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
but while strongly advising you to stay away from most of the areas directly around St. Joes, I could say these would be worth checking out
Wow. I live about four blocks from St. Joe's, and I like the neighborhood. Generally speaking, you'd want to stay away from the blocks immediately east of St. Joe's (the 40s south of Burleigh) but the blocks immediately north of the hospital are quite desirable. And well within the OP's price range. Look in the upper 40s and 50s, north of Burliegh, south of Keefe. These are nice, quiet stable blocks, mostly home owners, nice homes, strong sense of community, block watch clubs, very family friendly blocks.

Check out Google Streetview and spend some time exploring the neighborhood north of Burleigh. We've lived around here for three years and haven't had any problems, nor any real reason to fear for our safety. We lived for two years north of St. Joe's and like the area so much we bought a house in the neighborhood -- just west of the hospital. I would say check out the area north of the hospital. Great neighborhood.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:02 PM

151 posts, read 476,837 times
kim-e,

How ironic! We just moved to Reno last summer from the Milwaukee area. We live out in Cold Springs. Where are you? Maybe I could give you some good comparison info being that I am somewhat familiar with Reno and very familiar with Milwaukee and all of its outlying areas after living there for 27 years. My nephew and best friend's son were both born at St. Joe's...what an awesome hospital! Let me know if I can help!

Old 04-01-2008, 11:14 AM

3,058 posts, read 7,771,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee Ronnie View Post
Wow. I live about four blocks from St. Joe's, and I like the neighborhood.
Ronnie, I could've thrown the Sherman Park neighborhood in there too, probably an omission (accidental only) on my end. However, wouldn't you concur that with the neighborhoods I cited (Washington Heights and Lenox Heights) in addition to Sherman Park, much / most of the areas directly around St. Joes are fairly undesirable as a newcomer to the city?

I usually try to be very fair to all areas of the city / metro and wasn't trying to slight an area(s), however, just from my own personal experience, I wouldn't advise many newcomers to buy a home in most areas around St. Joes except for the above three neighborhoods. Again, my bad leaving out Sherman Park (but even then, as a seasoned Milwaukeean, you know the areas that are safer and those that can be avoided; a newcomer wouldn't have that luxury).

Old 04-02-2008, 10:53 AM

395 posts, read 1,169,022 times
EnjoyEP, how do you define "Sherman Park?" It's my understanding that St. Joe's is in Sherman Park. I define Sherman Park to pretty much everything west of 42nd Street, north of about Center, South of Keefe, west of 60th.

Generally speaking, if you stay within the north or west of this square, as I define Sherman Park, you're in a desirable area. South or east, not so much.

Accordingly, if you stay north of St. Joe's, you're in a nice area. Just to the east of St. Joe's is to be avoided.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,791 times
Default Neighborhood

Quote:
Thanks for the great info. Our price range would probably be upper 100s to lower 200s. We now live in Reno, NV, but come from a very small community so are open to just about anything.

Thanks Again!
Hi Kim!

I was rather shocked with his comment about the neighborhood. I have lived in that area for almost 7 years and never had any problems. Beautiful neighborhood, beautiful homes, and very diverse.
It is in the city, and just like any city there is crime or certain areas where you don't want to go, but, our neighborhood definalty isn't one of them.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:53 PM

4 posts, read 10,566 times
Quote:

Thanks for the help!
This is a good neighborhood. Just don't hang out by Center street. It depends on which way you are going. Other then that, It is a fine place to live and St joes is a wonderful place to work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee