Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2018, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 897 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys!

First a little background, I'm gay Latin married guy who has lived in the states for a long time. I had the chance to move around to different places including Boston, South Florida and Indianapolis. Each city has its pros and cons but I did enjoy living in Boston and South Florida a lot. Indianapolis was somewhat peculiar since despite being a good size city with very nice people, it sometimes felt a little bland and with a small town close minded mentality.

I have received a very good job offer in Milwaukee. I have been a little hesitant to accept it, given my OK experience in Indianapolis. I have only been to Milwaukee for work and interviews a couple of times and it looks more progressive. This time I would like to make a sound decision and would like to hear from the forum and locals, if giving my stats, Milwaukee would be a good fit for me and my husband.

How does Milwaukee compares to Indianapolis in terms of nightlife, LGBTQ acceptance, cultural diversity (restaurants, festivals, shows), overall mentality and city vibe? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 01:00 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,287,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relocationsavy View Post
Hey Guys!

First a little background, I'm gay Latin married guy who has lived in the states for a long time. I had the chance to move around to different places including Boston, South Florida and Indianapolis. Each city has its pros and cons but I did enjoy living in Boston and South Florida a lot. Indianapolis was somewhat peculiar since despite being a good size city with very nice people, it sometimes felt a little bland and with a small town close minded mentality.

I have received a very good job offer in Milwaukee. I have been a little hesitant to accept it, given my OK experience in Indianapolis. I have only been to Milwaukee for work and interviews a couple of times and it looks more progressive. This time I would like to make a sound decision and would like to hear from the forum and locals, if giving my stats, Milwaukee would be a good fit for me and my husband.

How does Milwaukee compares to Indianapolis in terms of nightlife, LGBTQ acceptance, cultural diversity (restaurants, festivals, shows), overall mentality and city vibe? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Congratulations on your job offer!

I moved here nearly 20 years ago for a job, and my husband joined me here a few years later.

Milwaukee is a very progressive and LGBTQ-friendly city, and it has a reasonably interesting and dynamic cultural atmosphere. It isn't at the level of Boston or Miami, though, but I think it's well above and beyond Indianapolis.

Milwaukee has a lot of different neighborhoods, including various neighborhoods and inner-ring suburbs on the east side (on the lakefront) that have large showings of educated/artistic, white-collar, professional people with diverse cultural and entertainment interests. There are various dance clubs, music venues, theaters, ethnic and upscale restaurants, cocktail lounges and beer bars in these neighborhoods, so there's quite a lot to do.

There is a visible and active LGBTQ+ center that has lots of social programming, including Happy Hour events and other meet-and-greet opportunities. There aren't as many gay bars now as there were just 10+ years ago, but there are a few, and there's also a primarily LGBT dance club. The main corridor for this activity is in the Walkers Point neighborhood, but LGBTQ+ venues can be found in other areas, as well. There's an LGBTQ+ bookstore and lots of businesses that are LGBTQ+ owned.

Not all of the neighborhoods, and not all LGBTQ+ people in Milwaukee, are upwardly mobile young professionals. Milwaukee has a significant working class tradition, and a lot of folks in the LGBTQ+ community are originally from the city and have deep local ties that sometimes go back several generations. This means that some subgroups of the community may not be quite as worldly and open as what you're used to from Boston and South Florida. My husband and I are "outsiders," and we've had to work a little bit to meet other gay folks with common interests, but it is possible to do. In the gay community, as in the local population at large, many people already know each other from high school or from longtime activities (cards, bowling, etc.), and newcomers may not always find a place in these circles. OTOH, some longtimers are very engaging and accepting, and there are many other "outsiders," too, so you should be able to find a niche sooner or later. The younger folks may be a bit more willing to step away from their cliques and circles. There are many mixed-race and minority-race/ethnicity couples in the community, so I don't think that will be an issue.

I hope this helps. If you'd like, send me a PM and I can answer more specific questions.

Last edited by Empidonax; 10-14-2018 at 01:14 PM..

Old 10-15-2018, 12:59 PM

3,367 posts, read 2,852,381 times
I would say Milwaukee is one of the most accepting cities, if Chicago wouldn't be even more accepting You cannot go wrong with Milwaukee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
View detailed profiles of: