U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 01:34 PM

5 posts, read 14,287 times

Advertisements

Reaching out to any Wisconites out there who can give us their thoughts on relocating to Wisconsin.
My husband and I are on a 2 year time line to finally move to your beautiful state.
We have no family or friends there, so we really need locals help to guide us.
What we do know, we want to purchase a rural home on 5-10 acres. We are blue collar, and right leaning folks. My husband is a plumbing contractor , and I work in accounting. We'll need to choose an area that is commutable to small cities where we can find employment in our fields. We are ok with semi long commutes, but are unfamiliar with doing it in snowy conditions. Our last of 5 kids will be a junior in high school so a good high school is a consideration too.
We would love to connect with a nice church community.
Here's what is completely up for discussion,
Where? We have been doing a lot of research on areas within a 50mile radius of Steven's Point. Thoughts?
Affordable real estate nothing fancy , good job market , friendly to outsiders? It would suck to make this huge life move, only to have our new neighbors hate us because we're not from there.
Do we need AWD vehicles?
I would really appreciate any tips, it would be cool if some of you would consider being ongoing resources for us to reach out to as our process progresses.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2019, 03:53 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
5,458 posts, read 6,186,974 times
First of all, why Stevens Point?

While there are a number of small communities nearby, the area is pretty darned rural.

Have you considered a slightly larger city/town that might have a large potential customer base for your business? There are plenty of places I can think of that you meet these requirements and still allow you to live in proximity with a decent sized piece of land.

RM

Old 12-25-2019, 05:55 PM

Steven's Point? No real reason, we're open. My thoughts were that it appears to be a good distance from major cities, Madison, Milwaukee, etc which is something we're looking for, and kind of in the middle of your state. We're leaving a state where, even though we live in the mountains on acreage, we can't go anywhere without being in heavy traffic and surrounded by hoards of people. We're wanting to live in a community that's slower, less crowded.

Old 12-25-2019, 08:06 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
5,458 posts, read 6,186,974 times
I'm thinking Sheboygan, maybe West bend, Fond du Lac, Oshkosh, Appleton/Fox River Valley areas. That puts you in easy commute distance of some decent sized cities that are still close to relatively rural areas.

RM

Old 12-26-2019, 09:39 AM
sub

4,646 posts, read 2,763,366 times
Stevens Point is as good a place as any to start, I suppose.
Places like Sheboygan/Plymouth are nice and laid back with no real traffic to speak of. Two Rivers/Manitowoc. Any of these areas are smaller with plenty of jobs both in and nearby. The biggest problem might be finding land that's affordable depending on your budget. Central and northern Wisconsin would likely be cheaper.
Madison has a reputation for traffic, but doesn't seem to affect surrounding areas past a certain point.
Milwaukee isn't the worst for traffic in a city it's size, but I'd generally avoid much of southeast Wisconsin if you want a quieter area.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:39 AM

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us some really great feedback. Much appreciated.

Old 12-26-2019, 02:13 PM

41 posts, read 120,645 times
"sub" mentions central and northern Wisconsin and I would suggest the Eau Claire area. We're north of Eau Claire along HWY 53 and travel to Eau Claire for provisions. Good, honest, hard working folks in these parts and the schools are good also. Eau Claire is also a college town in the University of Wisconsin system which may be an attraction for you. There should not be much of a problem finding a home on some land, or a piece of land to build on out in the country. Compared to the southern parts of the state, the Eau Claire regions weather can be two to four weeks behind in the spring. One final consideration is the proximity to the the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul for big city entertainment and shopping. Good luck to you.

Old 12-26-2019, 05:14 PM

8,236 posts, read 22,034,559 times
I vote for Wausau area, I just love the feel of being up there with all those tall pine trees. The Northwoods is fantastic.

Old 12-26-2019, 06:30 PM

5,334 posts, read 2,920,211 times
The Eau Claire area is beautiful. I would get a job first before moving. I am from Wisconsin and it’s a pretty state but the winter is rough and property taxes high. I would really research before making the move and also how many business competitors would your husband have in his line of work.

Old 01-15-2020, 04:55 PM

10,373 posts, read 10,147,981 times
We just settled in N. Wis after living out of state for the last 30 years. We are so happy to have moved back people are generally very friendly, even if your not from here. Col is fine, its very safe, medical care is good. I'd probably avoid S.Point. My wife didnt like it. Its kind of old and run down. Lots of students live off campus and landlords dont keep their properties up. Any questions the OP has, send me a pm.

Plover is a much nicer community btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee