Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 03:31 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
I think you should probably consider:

-Shorewood (urban suburb only a couple of miles north of Downtown)...definitely historic, hip, etc.

-"hip" areas of Milwaukee: a) Milwaukee's East Side, b) the Third Ward especially would I consider if I were you.

Certainly you couldn't go wrong with a condo in Downtown either.
This is where I'd also suggest to start, all of these as well as the high rises mentioned near the Lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 03:33 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantGirl View Post
Thanks for all the help so far. I am going to be in Milwaukee this Sunday and Monday for a whirlwind neighborhood driveby, and maybe look at some apartments. I am thinking of staying downtown and poking around along Prospect Avenue. Any suggestions for specific intersections to check out? What about rental information? Any good real estate companies?

Finally, after a hard day, where to eat some fine regional cooking? BTW, is it going to be cold? It's 89F in Vegas on Sunday. Will I need to dig out my down jacket from last winter?

Thanks, guys!!
A couple of suggestions. You can always rent parking near where you live but not at where you live, if it doesn't exist where you live.

Also, you need to decide if you want to live on a busy street or not, or type of living space you are seeking in structure.

It's always a little cooler by the lake. Layers. Won't be cold. May is mostly comfortable and nice,(though not always) through end of September.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:55 PM

6 posts, read 50,199 times
Thanks for all the help. Whew, back last night and still jet-lagged - what a trip!

I have to say it was beautiful weather last Sunday and Monday, that perfect "in-between" temperature you wish it could stay forever. Walked E on Kilbourn Sunday, then up Prospect all the way to Whole Foods. Area seemed to be a real mix of nice buildings (both older and newer) and shabby ones. Whole area felt really relaxed and the lake views were beautiful. Not too much traffic as it was Sunday - would noise be a problem out there, either along Prospect or on another road I saw closer down to the lakeshore?

Also, a lot of the Prospect apartments had management websites listed on signs out front. Any resource on the web that would have a master list of these various sites?

Thanks for the suggestion on possibly renting out a garage space - may be an option since I saw a lot of lovely properties that appeared to have no garage. Other quick takes - liked the downtown area, not scary like in LA. Also dug that there seems to be a serious preservation effort as regards historic buildings. Went to my potential jobsite, which was along the river. It seems really easy to walk to Prospect or downtown from there, assuming it snowed and I didn't want to take my car out (I'm a California kid, and my car is my baby).

The food was great - liked the comfort food. Some ppl at the jobsite said I could live almost anywhere, rush hours are nothing like in other cities, and I'd be home in 20 min. tops. True? Still, if I am not mobile cuz of weather or whatever, I wouldn't want to be shut in out in the boons.

Thanks for all your help so far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee