Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 11:38 AM

118 posts, read 436,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpirited1 View Post
To it's credit CCAP has attempted to educate readers, but I think 90% of America is as dumb as the day is long...
Well, how closed-minded and elitist of you.

In my experience, only people who have deep-seated insecurities about their own intelligence resort to the "I'm smart, everyone else is dumb, if you were smart ou would agree with me" BS.

Quote:
CCAP should be there for those who a) have a reason to use it
Already the case. You may have disagreed with your prospective employer(s) decision, but he/she definitely had a reason to run a background check on you.

Quote:
b) pay a premium
How would this stop this supposed 'abuse'. If people want to snoop on you, they'll go ahead and pay the $10/yr or whatever.

It's not like people haven't ever paid money to snoop on someone. I've even heard of suspicious wives hiring private investigators to watch their husbands.

Quote:
c) law enforcement, etc.
Law Enforcement already has it's own system to access your criminal records. (I'm sure you know that already.)

Quote:
P.S.P.S. To the other poster: Yes, we live in a democracy where public records are public records, but let's see how cheery you are when you get a judgment against you - and everyone at work knows. Or you go thru a messy divorce/custody battle...and you are the gossip everyone's talking about. It sucks.
I have a CCAP entry. This is not a case of me being a hypocrite. I have a CCAP entry, but I still recognize the value of this public service, why it should remain, and why it should be free.

And those two examples you listed make no sense at all. If you are going through a divorce and/or a custody battle, chances are that your friends and neighbors know this already.
Those examples are also based on the idea that your friends and neighbors are running periodic CCAP searches on youi, which is ridiculous and paranoid.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:41 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Hey here is idea..."Don't be a Jag off and stay out of trouble and you won't have anything to worry about!!!"

Old 09-08-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Hey here is idea..."Don't be a Jag off and stay out of trouble and you won't have anything to worry about!!!"
Win.

We live in a world with consequences. One of these consequencs is that if you screw up, it will come back to haunt you.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC3700 View Post
Win.

We live in a world with consequences. One of these consequences is that if you screw up, it will come back to haunt you.
Exactly! it also doesn't stop when you get out of jail. A lot of people say "well I only have to serve 1 year or it's only 3 years" Part of the consequences that we face is yeah it will be tough getting a job when you're a felon. It's not like it's jail time and then time served and everything goes back to normal, part of the deterrent is the overall effect it will have on your life. So next time someone wants to drink and drive or rob someone they better think about the unwritten consequences like being on CCAP and the social stigma of your past actions.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Exactly! it also doesn't stop when you get out of jail. A lot of people say "well I only have to serve 1 year or it's only 3 years" Part of the consequences that we face is yeah it will be tough getting a job when you're a felon. It's not like it's jail time and then time served and everything goes back to normal, part of the deterrent is the overall effect it will have on your life. So next time someone wants to drink and drive or rob someone they better think about the unwritten consequences like being on CCAP and the social stigma of your past actions.
What's real crazy is that these people are acting like "If we get CCAP closed down, all this is going to go away."
Employers are still going to be able to run background checks on you. It's not like your past won't haunt you if CCAP gets shut down.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC3700 View Post
What's real crazy is that these people are acting like "If we get CCAP closed down, all this is going to go away."
Employers are still going to be able to run background checks on you. It's not like your past won't haunt you if CCAP gets shut down.
Hey! plus two for you!. I like like a child when I say this but their is only one word that accurately describes what you just said and I don't know why people can't realize this, and that one word is....DUH!!!

Old 09-15-2009, 10:57 AM

11 posts, read 56,267 times
I don't normally post here but in the current case I feel extremely compelled to do so. As it stands now, CCAP represents terrible public policy. Specifically, it brands a life-long stigma on citizens before they have been convicted of a crime. Yes, I can understand giving the public easy access to criminal records once the defendant has been convicted. However, to have the website display dismissed or not guilty cases is simply unfair.

After all, police certainly make mistakes. And although I have great respect for them, sometimes they completely screw up. Anyone who thinks that CCAP is fine the way it is would immediately change their mind if they were wrongfully accused of a crime in Wisconsin. If a citizen is accused of a crime, we should give them a chance to clear their name before slandering it for the rest of their life.

The worst posters on this thread are the ones who say (in essence), "just stay out of trouble and you have nothing to worry about." This logic is severely flawed - many events which can lead to your name being put on CCAP are completely out of your control.

And no, a little disclaimer about not discriminating against persons with dismissed charges is not going to make someone who was wrongfully accused feel better, nor will it prevent much discrimination.

In closing, I have yet to hear a compelling argument as to why dismissed charges should appear on CCAP.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:55 PM

11 posts, read 56,267 times
"I have yet to hear a compelling argument as to why dismissed charges should appear on CCAP."

...Anyone??

Old 09-16-2009, 05:03 PM

711 posts, read 1,688,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette3L View Post
"I have yet to hear a compelling argument as to why dismissed charges should appear on CCAP."

...Anyone??
I don't want to wade too deep into this mess, but I look at it as a window into the court system. Why shouldn't we be allowed to know what cases are being heard? I don't see the problem with opening up more information that is now locked up in bureaucrats' offices or filed away somewhere.

If anything, CCAP should be expanded to have more public information available. An open government requires open access, even to court proceedings that yielded no convictions.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:02 PM

People here are foregtting the fact that all the info that is avaiable on CCAP is deemed public records anyway. So therefore if their was no CCAP then all one would have to do is file a open public records request.

That's it I'm Done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee